cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check Your Tires

shotgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer, we left for a four-week, 6,000 mile adventure out west. I had the TT inspected the week before we left and had some minor repairs made, so we were in good shape. The tires had plenty of tread and looked to be perfect.

At the end of our second day, traveling about 10 hours that day, we had a blowout on one of the tires. Not great, but fixable. I was able to get to the next exit, which was only 100 yards up the highway and change the tire.

You can guess what happened next. Two miles up the highway, the second tire blew out. I only carry one spare and it was used up now. AAA could not help, even though we have the RV coverage because there is no way to tow the unit with a blown tire.

Had to call a roadside tire place (in the end, AAA made it right by paying us for the roadside call. Not the tire cost, of course, but the trip and repair charge). Once changed, we went to the next exit, which luckily had a campground and a super-walmart. We were able to get the other two changed out as well as a new spare, so were on our way, only losing a half-day in the process.

What the roadside tire guy told me is that he sees this a lot. Our tires were high on tread, but were 14 years old! They had simply worn out from age sitting in the driveway. (most of our trips are local, so there is very little wear).

So the lesson is: check the dates on your tires, not just the tread wear.
17 REPLIES 17

Community Alumni
Not applicable
beemerphile1 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that most tire companies recommend that ST tires be replaced at 7 years.

Even if they do, I'm not willing to take that chance. :E

... Eric

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that most tire companies recommend that ST tires be replaced at 7 years.
The recomendations In have seen for STs are not nearly that long.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
This is why I find it funny how many post about how their tires are wearing, when deciding on PSI.
For most people a little extra center wear is no concern. The tires will age out LONG before wearing out. Put the PSI at max, an reap the benefits of extra load capacity.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Might also want to check the date of the mayonnaise in frig. ..:)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

shotgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I definitely ran the red line with those.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
Fourteen years is amazing for trailer tires; I change mine out after 5 years.

I agree. I think that 5 to 7 years is the recommended "discard by" date regardless of thread wear.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Fourteen years is amazing for trailer tires; I change mine out after 5 years.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
The age of tires is the most important factor. I run tires for 5 to 6 years all things being equal. But,after 7years I throw them away regardless of how much tread is left:)

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with your "roadside guy", 14 years old is ready to blow. I replace mine at around 5 years old, regardless of tread and they're always exposed to the sun.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
shotgunner wrote:
We had it worse on our last big trip. Going over the LaVita pass in CO, about 1/4 mile from the top, towing the same TT with a Diesel Suburban and BAM! The engine blew. Had to get the truck and the camper towed back to Pueblo and bought the Ford Excursion that afternoon. Happy trails again! ๐Ÿ™‚

The Wilderness is a 2000 model, so yes, those were the original tires! (sorry, don't remember the brand)

Fourteen years on OEM trailer tires- could be a record!

Per your last year Big Adventure: We had exactly the same experience one year, only we weren't towing. Had the back of the pickup simply crammed with our tentcamping gear. Engine on the truck blew, had 'er towed to the nearest Ford dealer, transferred all the gear in to the back of the first truck that struck our fancy, and continued on the trip! Good times...:B
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

shotgunner
Explorer
Explorer
We had it worse on our last big trip. Going over the LaVita pass in CO, about 1/4 mile from the top, towing the same TT with a Diesel Suburban and BAM! The engine blew. Had to get the truck and the camper towed back to Pueblo and bought the Ford Excursion that afternoon. Happy trails again! ๐Ÿ™‚

The Wilderness is a 2000 model, so yes, those were the original tires! (sorry, don't remember the brand)

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought 4 new tires last summer... The originals were less than 3 years old, and probably had less than 1,500 miles on them, but the Nevada sun had baked the sidewalls to the point they were so cracked I was afraid to tow it any distance. Guess what I got for Christmas... a set of tire covers!
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info- sounds like a classic cascading-blowout case.

Of course, I'm sure the guy at Walmart was right about those tires- after fourteen years and who knows how many miles, what trailer tire WOULDN'T be "ready to go"? I s'pose you don't know the brand now that they're all gone. You don't mention the your trailer model year- could the tires have been original to the trailer?

p.s.

I feel your pain about "not enough spares"- had that happen one year with the TOW VEHICLE! Out in the middle of nowhere, two flats in a row. Had to get the whole shootin' match towed forty miles to town just to get the flats repaired.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien