cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

city parking ordinane

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
Currently fighting my city to park a future travel trailer on my property. Speaking with alderman and the city planner, they showed me this ordinance language under Parking prohibited category.
Under this ordinance they pointed to this saying I might have a problem due to this. Under "prohibited Motor Vehicles and Equipment" it states "Shall mean commercial trucks and busses, (recreational motor vehicles over twenty-four (24') feet in length, "
My response was it's not a motor vehicle it's a travel trailer. they stated "oh" "i'll have to get back with you . Later stating they "interpreted" that statement to also mean all "campers" motor or otherwise.
They way I read it is "motor vehicles" not travel trailers right?
Any thoughts?
43 REPLIES 43

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
This is why I specifically did NOT buy a home with an HOA. That was my one dealbreaker when I was looking for a home in this area.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
You wont like this! RV definition. If not just tell them your storing it and not parking it!
You would make a great defense attorney. Just have you client tell the jury "I am not guilty of murder. Yes, I shot the guy, but he bled to death by himself." It's amazing Perry Mason never came up with the "parse the words" defense.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You wont like this! RV definition. however if it says recreational motor vehicle then that would eliminate your issue. If not just tell them your storing it and not parking it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
The crux is whether the word "motor" is in the ordinance referring specifically to recreational vehicles. You have now posted the ordinance WITH the word "motor," and WITHOUT the word "motor." If the ordinance does NOT have the word "motor" referring to recreational vehicles, you are out of luck.

That probably does not matter. You can argue semantics until you turn blue in the face. The OP is in Wisconsin and I don't know a **** thing about how it is there, but here in PA anything that is required to be registered, have a license plate, and is used on a public highway is considered a "motor vehicle" for all intensive purposes.

Getting a city ordinance changed or getting some type of variance is not exactly easy. Sure you can hire an attorney and sue......good luck, better have deep pockets and have your **** together. File over wording and before it ever sees a courtroom they'll have reworded the ordinance by stroke of the pen if their solicitor see's any loophole in the wording, but since most ordinances are already reviewed in that regard prior to being advertised, good luck.

You could also run for council or whatever it's called in your neck of the woods along with a couple of other people who are on your side of the fence with the issue. If you happen to get elected and have a voting majority, you could then propose to amend the ordinance. But expect a fight from the other non RV owning NIMBY's in your town which is the vast majority, which is why the ordinance most likely exists to begin with. There is no shortage of busy body property owners everywhere who have nothing better to do than attempt to dictate how you live, and what you can do with your property.

Another option is to unload the property and move to where you do not have to deal with such overbearing BS, which is probably the best course of action and works 100% of the time. Many more areas exist in the US that you don't have to put up with such BS than where you do. I side with Sidecarflip. If you purchased a property in a jurisdiction that has HOA's or overbearing government entities, that's your mistake.

They'll usually not grant a variance in this situation because if they grant it for you it opens them up to having to grant one to the next person, and the next, so on and so forth, essentially making the ordinance worthless.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Bumper tow ain't got no motor. Stop reading into it what it doesn't say just because what you think it "might" mean.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mobeewan wrote:
If it says "recreational motor vehicle" you should be fine.

Never "assume" anything when it comes to city ordinances, it may be written that way to cover ALL RVs whether self powered (IE Motor, Motor Home, Van ect) or tow behind trailer (IE bumper pull or 5vr).

Assuming in this case could be costly (fines and or tow away/impounded) and most likely the OP will lose the battle then be forced to find a storage facility in a hurry..

Claiming ignorance of the law is no excuse..

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
If it says "recreational motor vehicle" you should be fine.

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:

Im with those who ask why pick the fight now. If you like your interpretation, go with that, and if someone complains, then point out it's not motorized. Worse thing that would likely happen is you have to move it to a storage facility.

Mike

I agree with Mike, especially if you can park it where it's not easily visible from the street. Put it there and hope no one complains.
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deuce222 wrote:
that's why I'm researching it in ordinances. I plan on "paving" a spot for it, which should meet the requirements in the ordinance. If I omitted the word Motor when posting I was mistaken, it says "recreational Motor vehicle"
Thanks for all the input. Trust me I wish I lived in the county.

Your best bet is to directly ask your local authorities for a CLARIFICATION instead of a forum on the wobbly web.

Attend one of the monthly meetings and ask your questions or ask one of your local authority members to find out the best way to get clarification..

It just may be as simple as asking for a "variance" but you may need to outline your plan like paving the area. They may grant with some stipulations or requirements.

Follow their requirements to the T if they grant a variance and you should be golden..

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
that's why I'm researching it in ordinances. I plan on "paving" a spot for it, which should meet the requirements in the ordinance. If I omitted the word Motor when posting I was mistaken, it says "recreational Motor vehicle"
Thanks for all the input. Trust me I wish I lived in the county.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Deuce222 wrote:
Currently fighting my city to park a future travel trailer on my property. Speaking with alderman and the city planner, they showed me this ordinance language under Parking prohibited category.
Under this ordinance they pointed to this saying I might have a problem due to this. Under "prohibited Motor Vehicles and Equipment" it states "Shall mean commercial trucks and busses, (recreational motor vehicles over twenty-four (24') feet in length, "
My response was it's not a motor vehicle it's a travel trailer. they stated "oh" "i'll have to get back with you . Later stating they "interpreted" that statement to also mean all "campers" motor or otherwise.
They way I read it is "motor vehicles" not travel trailers right?
Any thoughts?
They will have additional ordinances that prohibit things like construction trailers, boat trailers etc. If you somehow convince them the "motor" part should exclude your trailer under the recreational motor vehicles wording, they will just get you elsewhere. Stir the pot enough and you will be inviting code enforcement to examine your property with a fine toothed comb. Not worth it to me.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the end the only interpretation that matters is the city interpretation, or a judges interpretation if you take the city to court.

RV.NET poster's opinion will have no bearing on the city's interpretation, Im quite sure.

Asking folks here if you are "ok" won't mean a **** thing when it comes to arguing with YOUR city.

Im with those who ask why pick the fight now. If you like your interpretation, go with that, and if someone complains, then point out it's not motorized. Worse thing that would likely happen is you have to move it to a storage facility.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Most cities prohibit RV parking on the streets and even on your yard.

First it is unsightly and lowers the value of the properties in the area (ask those who looks into buying new homes, an RV parked anywhere is to them sign of lax ordinance or HOA regulation implementation.

Some also let their RV as extra living room and this causes sanitary and fire hazards.

Our city allows 72 hours RV parking with on line permit application and driveway parking as long as any part of it does not intrude into walkways and no one overnights in them.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
our city does not allow tts or rv "in front" of the residence" but there are many that are including our 26 ft tt. not an issue if nobody complains
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I would let the sleeping dog lie. If it says motor home I would park my TT and not say anything.

Fortunately, I learned long ago that I am not fit to live amongst civilized folks. So I bought 20 acres in the country for my short wave antennas, archery and rifle backstops, PUP and TT parking and a host of other things.

Not everyone wants to live in the boonies and that is fine by me.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.