cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clean Trucks? Electric Truck?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 RAM 2500 hauling my Arctic Fox.

The AF is a little small inside but with some mods I think it's getting more comfortable.

The problem is, I want to ship it to Europe for some adventures, but it can't be driven anywhere because it's subject to so many issues with emissions over there. I'd be banned from most of Germany, lots of Italy, etc.

Now, I think I have 2 options to fix this situation and the likely similar situations coming to the USA eventually.

1) Buy a gasser to replace the 2500 Cummins

2) Convert the Cummins to an electrical, zero emissions vehicle ( Let's not debate that one, I'd rather keep the diesel but I want to be able to stick my TC in the center of Berlin if I feel like it... That's the advantage of a TC.)

First, what gasser can possibly replace a Ram 2500 with 24v Cummins turbo diesel? It would be nice to have a 3500 so I didn't have to do all the crazy mods to a 2500 that have.been done to mine.

Is it going to completely suck up hills? How about down hills? I use an exhaust brake now. Am I going to have overheating brakes in mountains? Also, what's the lowest emission gasser to be able to replace a Cummins truck?

If I do an electric conversion, can I regenerate through the main electric motor by down shifting? It's a manual transmission. Do they sell aftermarket regenerative brakes? That are heavy duty?
37 REPLIES 37

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
1) 3500 gasser will work just fine.

2) Rivian would be low cost compared to conversion.

3) Rent a caravan there ready to go. For an extended trip buy used and resell at the end.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
There is no gasser to replace a Cummins.

Out of context, true. But for hauling a camper, any of the big 3's 3500 trucks will work fine. They have the same suspension as the diesel trucks and at least as much cargo capacity.

You'll burn more gas and mash the pedal more to go up hills. You have decent compression braking on a gas engine going down, which again shouldn't be an issue for just a camper. Now if you're pulling a heavy trailer behind also that's another matter.

I have no performance complaints with a 4k lb camper and 2k lb trailer with a gas powered truck.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

That's what I thought. But what about the emissions situation?

Am I just screwed on that? Europe is done unless I pay through the nose to rent some inferior RV?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Buy a Rivian.

Sounds great but I have a 2002 Dodge RAM 2500. Do I seem like the kind of guy that would buy a brand new vehicle? ๐Ÿ˜‰ No idea what those are costing but they don't look like a very good deal. Looks massively overpriced and like you'll get creamed on depreciation. If they ever start making them.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
So no tips on what gasser to replace a Ram 2500 diesel?

And yes, we'd stay there for a year or 2.

I am under the impression that the Electric motor would be connected to the same clutch and transmission. But that's a side idea.

Looking for gasser advice

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a Rivian.
-- Chris Bryant

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you priced the shipping to EU? Unless you are getting free shipping, I think it would make sense to buy/rent local. That is, unless you plan to live there for an extended period of time.

In any case, I donโ€™t think you use your transmission if you converted to electrical. There were a few companies in the 80s. I donโ€™t know if they are still around. But, if they are, Iโ€™d check one of them out.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member