cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning soot off fiberglass wall

stationaryfullt
Explorer
Explorer
The propane burner in the water heater in my Jayco Eagle hasn't been burning right. I didn't realize it wasn't for a while, and it left a soot mark on the fiberglass wall. After washing the camper with dish soap as I always do, the soot mark is still visible. So I think I need a more aggressive cleaner to clean the mark up, but I'm also worried about hurting the gelcoat and fiberglass with something that's too aggressive or not compatible. What would be suitable for this job?

I also have less than perfect white rub strip on the outside and was again wondering what would be good to clean that up again without hurting the fiberglass.

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Clean Magic Eraser gets a lot of different things clean.
Don't worry about the fiberglass or gelcoat, it's customary in some parts of the world to clean boat hulls with muriatic acid and it doesn't cause a problem.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

stationaryfullt
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning the burner tube was definitely on the agenda. I figured that is what's causing the burner to not burn blue. The slide for the burner hasn't moved any.

4x4Bob
Explorer
Explorer
After cleaning off the soot on the wall, you should take a small round brush and clean the inside of the burner tube. You probably had a spider crawl in there and build a web. That will cause the burner to act up.

Bob
2001 2500 Silverado LS 4x4 6.0, 4.10
2007 Jayco Eagle 288RLS
Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2
--------------------
End of dirt road, no signs in sight, sun going down: I am not lost, just getting ready to go camping.

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
You may be needing to use something like the clay bar system to remove the marks, if the other solutions mentioned don't get it clean.

Something like soot is going to find every little imperfection on the paint to penetrate. The clay bar will remove the oxidation that the soot clings to.

This link explains the process. http://www.eshine.ca/DetailClay.htm

stationaryfullt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'll take a look at those.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Black streak remover
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
bar keepers friend