cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Closet/shelf suggestions

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2009 189 surveyor. It has a small closet. One side is for hanging clothes (no problem) and the other side has shelfs. The better half would like something like a pull-out drawer to replace the shelfs or maybe ones that attach to the shelves. Anybody done a similar upgrade? Costco has a pull-out shelf but it is too big. Our opening is only 11 inches wide. The current shelves are about 7 inches apart.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150
8 REPLIES 8

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Plastic storage bins?

You can buy bins in all dimensions.
You can also buy expansion rods in various lengths to keep bins from sliding around.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made new drawers from scratch for beside each side of our bed. I got the drawer fronts from our dealer so they'd match the rest of of our interior. The drawers are quite deep - 22" IIRC. I used Knape & Vogt "stay close" drawer slides.

The 2nd photo shows the drivers/left side. I also built drawers for the under-bed storage. The TT originally came with just a cubby hole opening on one side and the other was blocked out with a piece of luan plywood. A cubby hole is useless. The drawers are very useful. You'll need at least a table saw or access to one. A chop saw would be helpful but can get away with just a table saw.

I made the drawer fronts for the under-bed drawers from scratch because I needed custom dimensions. For the drawer fronts beside the bed I walked around the dealer's lot and found some from another model that were the right size.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not handy enough to make your own drawers (like me), just go to the dollar store and buy plastic tubs that fit the existing shelves, maybe baskets from Wayfair or other home decor store, or even packing cubes from ebags.com.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Lowes and in their closet organizing section found some drawer baskets type units that had the right depth and width. Bought the corresponding snap in sliding brackets and just attached them to the existing RV shelves. Because these units are modular, you pick the size and brackets to meet your need. You can get full extension brackets or shorter half slides. They even had drop down brackets that let you slide a basket/drawer on the top so it extends and drops down to a lower level to access whats inside. Baskets or draws came in wood, plastic, laminate metal, etc., in all sorts of sizes.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic storage bins?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
X3 for making drawers. I'm not carpenter, not by a long shot, so I had the parts for the drawers made by Barker Door using the cheapest material they offer. Then I mounted them with drawers slides as mention above. My mounting job is so-so but they work pretty good. One of the best mods we ever did.

Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I have made a total of 8 drawers in different cabinets throughout my camper. They are definitely a convienent improvement worth the trouble. Drawer slides are available at any big box home improvement store. I recommend the full extension type. The drawer itself is just a box. Making it from 1/2 inch plywood (or thinner for a lightweight purpose) is the most economical choice. The slides will include instructions for sizing the drawer to the cabinet opening.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove shelves. Make your own drawers or have them made. You will lose some storage space but have much better access.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob