cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman PUP no heater.

Deeregreen85
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I am new to this and I am looking for some ideas. I have a late 80' Coleman pop up with a/c but no heat. I like to camp in the fall of the year and that is mostly when my work slows down enough for me to enjoy camping without having to carry a laptop and an air card. I am looking for a source of heat for the camper as my wife is very cold natured. Now with that being said if I can not find a good solution for this I will be selling the pop up and purchasing a travel trailer.
19 REPLIES 19

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
If you have AC, you probably have a 20 amp circuit to plug an electric heater into. Buy a heater that uses less than 20 amps and you will be fine. the 20 amp receptacle has one of the blades that is "T" shaped. You can also get a 10 or 12 ga. extension cord to run directly to the shore power pedistal.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

Deeregreen85
Explorer
Explorer
I agree more so with electric. I'm a fire engineer by trade and I don't like the idea of an invented anything in the close proximity of my 5 year old daughter.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had two Little Buddy heaters going in both Pop Ups and tents. It's fine.

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Never seen a pop-up yet that anyone would call "unvented"... despite the "safe for indoor use" rating, I, too, might think twice before using a Little Buddy in a closed-in trailer or RV.
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
A small electric heater will do the trick as long as you have 110 volt power available. I have used such a heater to heat my 24' travel trailer during spring/fall campouts. If you're rated for 15 amp on an outlet that gives you about 1200+/- watts available for use. A small heater set on 750 or 1000 watt will heat your popup. I do not like the idea of using an unvented propane heater in a small area while I'm sleeping.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2023 Jayco 25RB

Deeregreen85
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will be sleeping in my hybrid trailer tonight in the backyard.
Add Popup Gizmos and insulation in the window slots.
Get a good down bag and wear a hat. Add a quilt if it is cold.
Popups and hybrids are good to the mid 20s or so with no problems.
Just get up and make coffee in the morning with the gas stove and it is pretty comfortable. A Little Buddy Heater is okay but I would never go to sleep with one.

Deeregreen85
Explorer
Explorer
Very true on the not for long. I have a degree in HVAC technology and the second my wife said we I can just plug it in here. The electrical and heating side of me kicked in and said NOOOO. I just saw smoke before it was over with and I was told many years ago that once you let the magic smoke out of something you can not put it back. lol

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
From Pages 14 & 15 of the 1988 Coleman Camping Trailer Owners Manual...

PS: I should have clarified that we use the Little Buddy heater only when camping in the wild, which is most of the time. If and when we find ourselves camping in cold weather with the luxury of shore power, we have a small, quiet electric heater with an auto-thermostat and a heavy (orange) 25' extension cord.

As far as I know, they don't make an electric heater that would run through an inverter... at least, not for long.
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Deeregreen85
Explorer
Explorer
That was the thought I had. I don't see the electrical system of the camper being strong enough to safely support the heater. I see that you camped in one of these for a while and I looked a little more closely to mine last night and it is also a 1988 sequoia. Do you have and tips and tricks to add about the camper. We had travel trailers when I was growing up and I am in the market for one now. We have camped a few times in the PUP and like it but we would be a lot better with a TT around the high 20' range. I want to make do with the PUP through this and next season unless the deal of a lifetime jumps at me between now and then but I don't have a lot of experience with this one.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your concerned about the outlet ratings for your camper just run a heavy enough extension cord directly from the heater to the campgrounds power pedestal.

eieioh
Explorer
Explorer
I camped in a 1988 Coleman Sequia for over 10 years. We camped late in the Fall, early in the spring. Many, many nights of below freezing temps. Only used a small electric ceramic heater. the trick is to run an extension cord out the canvas, usually under one of the bunks directly to the electric post. A good sleeping bag and warm partner is all we needed.

Deeregreen85
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I am definitely leaning toward the electric that very reason. I don't know what the outlets in mine are rated for being that it is an older camper but I would imagine it would be listed somewhere on the camper.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Friends of ours just got a small (8-foot) pop-up. Their first time out was this past weekend. Temps got down to the high-30s at night. They had this heater:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV156LA/ref=pd_sbs_201_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00VV156LA&pd_rd_r=4KX...

I was shocked at how warm it was in there! If you'll be camping with hookups, electric is the way to go (use the campgrounds power, not your expensive propane).
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)