cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coming to the darkside

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
Well here we come... just traded in our 2013 Kodiak hybrid on a 2015 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS. from towing 23 feet to 37 feet... lord help me what the heck was i thinking?
Nights camped in 2016 - 31
2015 Forest River Vibe
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
me daHusband :C
daWife :?
daSon :B
daBaby boy ๐Ÿ˜› (ok so he's 13...still daBaby)
daDog
62 REPLIES 62

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Still 3/4 ton truck area, loaded trailer will have tongue weight right at the rating if not over, plus payload will be very low for a family with that heavy tongue weight.

Try again. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Should be looking at a factory delivered weight of around 5000 lbs if not lower. Also that is if you don't load over 6500 lbs. If I had 2 boys, my trailer is the heaviest I could likely go with out going over.

Probably easier to pony up to a 3/4 ton truck.

1/2 ton trucks are meant for smaller trailers yet ignorant people pull trailers that are to heavy for them. Yes, they pull Okay under ideal conditions but emergency lane changes and swerving will likely lead to loss of control due to overloading and the poor handling resulting from such.

Also get LT tires for heavy 1/2 ton towing that is within the ratings. After switching to them, I can't believe I used p Series to pull such a large trailer and the poor handling they produce while towing. LT = Stable, relaxed ride!
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might still be too much for the Silverado. I've got a 2011 Sierra 1500 and my trailer weights 5860 loaded. I probably wouldn't want to go any higher than that personally.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
maybe just maybe... the right camper may have been found. opted for a dble over dble 31 foot bunk house. it's 5982 lbs and 7849 lbs fully loaded. fingers crossed... make and model once i know it;s mine!!!!
2015 Forest River Vibe
daDog

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
FerrisFamilyof5 wrote:
bqcooker wrote:
Have you looked at the Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS OR 28BHBE? We have 28BHBE and it sleeps a ton!! The full size bunks can literally sleep two kids and the couch sleeps a few bodies too. We pull it w/ a 2012 Burb w/ factory tow package. it tows fine once you get used to it. We were interested in the 26BHS, but the wife like the bathroom and dinette better in the 28.

Not a fan of the double over double. especially if boys bring friend(s). with the hybrid youngest is on the couch or dinette, trying to avoid that for most trips. Boys aged 12 and 15 aren't fond of sharing a bed with a friend... (but no problem sharing a tent in scouts) I don't get it. LOL

When I was kid, we had to share the double bunk beds in our 17' Shasta. My sister got the sofa convertible double bed while I shared the accordian bunk double bed with my brother. Parents slept on the convertible double dinette bed. AND we all liked it! ๐Ÿ™‚
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
bqcooker wrote:
Have you looked at the Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS OR 28BHBE? We have 28BHBE and it sleeps a ton!! The full size bunks can literally sleep two kids and the couch sleeps a few bodies too. We pull it w/ a 2012 Burb w/ factory tow package. it tows fine once you get used to it. We were interested in the 26BHS, but the wife like the bathroom and dinette better in the 28.

Not a fan of the double over double. especially if boys bring friend(s). with the hybrid youngest is on the couch or dinette, trying to avoid that for most trips. Boys aged 12 and 15 aren't fond of sharing a bed with a friend... (but no problem sharing a tent in scouts) I don't get it. LOL
2015 Forest River Vibe
daDog

bqcooker
Explorer
Explorer

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
FerrisFamilyof5 wrote:
evanrem wrote:
Welcome to the darkside. Although short lived it was an experience.

Oh I think I'm still coming... just have to find the right fit. We are a family of 5, however my daughter is 25 and does not camp with us... BUT... she just had a daughter 6 months ago, so we will be bringing her with us a few times... Once my granddaughter is big enough to be on her own bunk, I think my oldest son will not be coming as much since he'll be 18 and probably working... kid is trying to find a job at 15, NY makes it hard for them to work especially on school days. But at least he's out there trying!
Sounds like you instilled a good work ethic in your son. I had a paper route when 12 and went to work for a grocery store when I was old enough. Your son might try a grocery store for a job. A lot of jobs you have to be 18 for liability reasons.

At least you asked before you bought instead of after. You might look at some 26' TT that have bunks. This is a good size to fit in a lot of state and federal campgrounds that tend to be smaller in size. Something you could pull with your truck.

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:

Oh I think I'm still coming... just have to find the right fit. We are a family of 5, however my daughter is 25 and does not camp with us... BUT... she just had a daughter 6 months ago, so we will be bringing her with us a few times... Once my granddaughter is big enough to be on her own bunk, I think my oldest son will not be coming as much since he'll be 18 and probably working... kid is trying to find a job at 15, NY makes it hard for them to work especially on school days. But at least he's out there trying!
2015 Forest River Vibe
daDog

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike Up wrote:
IdaD wrote:

Maybe things are different these days, but I've always figured the lightweight trailers aren't built as well

X2, most lightweight trailers are laminated or glued together. I see it all the time, delamination from the glue failing and not from water. Not all do this obviously but a good portion do. All you have to do is look.

The interiors use less sturdy walls and often lack tub/shower surrounds. Floors are laminated also with few cross members and Styrofoam doing the structural supports. Many have commented on spongy floors because of the Styrofoam insulation breaking down. The same can be said about roofs which usually can not be walked on because damage could happen.

What do you get for all of this, a higher price because the flimsier build quality uses more expensive materials that are lighter and mostly weaker than tradional stick and tin trailers and fiberglass HUNG trailers (which are all but gone).

IMO, if you want a quality built trailer, get a smaller one for a less capable tow vehicle unless you plan on getting rid of it in 6 years or absolutely have no choice due to family size and the inability to buy/use a more capable tow vehicle.
X-3 This is what I found as well when I bought A light weight trailer. I traded it in after the first trip.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

Maybe things are different these days, but I've always figured the lightweight trailers aren't built as well

X2, most lightweight trailers are laminated or glued together. I see it all the time, delamination from the glue failing and not from water. Not all do this obviously but a good portion do. All you have to do is look.

The interiors use less sturdy walls and often lack tub/shower surrounds. Floors are laminated also with few cross members and Styrofoam doing the structural supports. Many have commented on spongy floors because of the Styrofoam insulation breaking down. The same can be said about roofs which usually can not be walked on because damage could happen.

What do you get for all of this, a higher price because the flimsier build quality uses more expensive materials that are lighter and mostly weaker than tradional stick and tin trailers and fiberglass HUNG trailers (which are all but gone).

IMO, if you want a quality built trailer, get a smaller one for a less capable tow vehicle unless you plan on getting rid of it in 6 years or absolutely have no choice due to family size and the inability to buy/use a more capable tow vehicle.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Just so you will know. there are thousands of lighter TTs that your 1500 can tow with ease. Example. Mine is 31', and weighs ready to camp, a little under 6000lbs. It sleeps 10 comfortably, and is very easy to tow.

you do not have to get a super heavy TT. No need really.

Maybe things are different these days, but I've always figured the lightweight trailers aren't built as well and aren't as well insulated.

And that is where you are wrong. My TT is made Of AZDEL. It is 50% stronger than wood laminate. It has a 50% higher insulation value than Wood laminate, or aluminum. It is also 50% lighter than wood laminate. It also will not rot. Can you say that about your's.

Progress doesn't wait. Jump onboard
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

Shorts and t shirt weather inside, oil filled heater, super hi wind gizmos, and reflectix in the bunk end screens. No issues at all during cold weather camping!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Just so you will know. there are thousands of lighter TTs that your 1500 can tow with ease. Example. Mine is 31', and weighs ready to camp, a little under 6000lbs. It sleeps 10 comfortably, and is very easy to tow.

you do not have to get a super heavy TT. No need really.

Maybe things are different these days, but I've always figured the lightweight trailers aren't built as well and aren't as well insulated.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB