cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering 100 watt folding Solar Panel

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
I need to add some more solar to my setup as my current panel just isn't enough to keep the batteries topped off. Having a fiberglass roof, I'm hesitant to drill holes into it to mount another solar panel at this time.

I'm thinking about going with a 100w folding then film panel that I can keep stored inside until I'm ready to setup camp and then set it up on the roof for use. Aside from the minor hassle of having to put it up each time, it seems like a viable alternative to a permanent mount. Amazon has one I'm looking into.

Anyone have something similar?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
20 REPLIES 20

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
It makes no difference whether your TC roof is rubber, aluminum, or fiberglass. You should be able to easily attach solar panel supports and use the proper sealant for the screw holes.

Or you could try folding panels and learn what a PITA they are before mounting panels and doing it right.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I have read reports of people using VHB tape to attach z clips for rigid panels to fiberglass roofs without drilling. You can google, there are plenty of folks who have made videos. Personally it's something I would try, although I would probably cover over the top of the bracket with eternabond tape in addition to the VHB. VHB has an extraordinary bonding capacity.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Hadn't considered the wind but I think I could overcome that or do as others suggested and just leave it on the ground. Velcro isn't that bad of an idea either.

I already have a 30amp charge controller in place I was going to tie this into. I have wires already going to the roof for the smaller 20watt panel that I already up-sized them for larger current in anticipation of going to larger panels in the future.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the Renogy suitcase one,it comes with a nice padded case and controller. I don't put it on the roof but set it on the ground so I can move it to follow the sun.

I use it at the beach to keep everything topped off and have never had a problem in the wind,even on the windiest days.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
You could just set it on a table or on the ground if you want to reduce the hassle of climbing on the roof. If the roof is where you want it I would use some velcro to keep it in place if the wind picks up.

This unit doesn't include a solar charge controller. Would you be tying it into an existing solar charge controller? Are the specs for it similar to the panel(s) you have now?
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:
.. then set it up on the roof for use.
You'll have a wind problem.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman