cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Wet Area Below Window.. Roof or Window Leak?

aykeiram18
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '94 Four Winds travel trailer that I purchased two years ago. It has had various leaks that we've had repaired. I was fortunate to find a good handyman that has made a lot of repairs but he can't seem to repair a leak underneath the window. He's sealed the seams of the roof a few times but there is still a dinner plate sized area of wet paneling below the corner of the "living area" window behind the couch. I asked if it was from the window but he thinks it is from the roof. Why wouldn't it be leaking further up the wall then if it was the roof? It's only wet underneath the left corner of the window. I am looking for other opinions. Does it sound like the roof is leaking or the window? All I know is I need to get it repaired once and for all. Roof sealing doesn't seem to be doing the job and I'm about to invest more money into having a different type of sealer applied. Thank you in advance. Any help would be much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Read about "pressurized air leak test". Your '94 is a prime candidate.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know the layout of your trailer, where the window is located, etc. but I had a leak under the front/side window of my '93 Wilderness that I could find no fault around the window. I found the screws on the hinge of the cover of the front window were loose. Somehow the water worked around the front corner and on to the shelf under the side window. I tightened the screws, caulked the top of the hinge and no more leak. No sign of a leak on the wall. Just a thought.. Good luck...
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

As a suggestion, simply remove (yes, 100% remove) the RV window and re-seal it properly. Don't simply apply silicone around its outer edges. To learn how to re-seal an RV window the proper "old school" way, surf: - click here -

Note: After "behind the window lip" is re-sealed simply add clear ProflexRV around the outer edge of the window. re: - click here -

If wondering, I re-sealed the 11 windows on my 2006 Jayco TT and discovered 3 of the windows were leaking (where one couldn't see it) and 1 of these 3 windows was leaking really bad. We'll worth re-sealing the RV windows the "old school" way (instead of using factory rubber foam seal - that always leaks in time). Pace yourself with 3-4 windows each weekend and in a few short months, all windows are completed. And, much better than factory.

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Buying a leaky RV can be a nightmare. We just went through it with our 1993 Class-C. Had we known it leaked we wouldn't have touched it with a 10' pole. But the seller lied about almost everything. The leak can be from either the window or the roof. If he reset the window in new putty-tape the window shouldn't still leak. It's bigger job but it works. If all he did was run putty or silicone around the edge, it can still leak as before. Same goes for the roof repairs. What did he use to repair the roof and stop any leaks? The water can be coming in from far from the wet spot - that's just where it found to leak down behind the wall. Leaks are the bane of all RVers lives.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~