cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Construction differences, Jayco JayFlight vs Whitehawk?

TundraTire
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering either a JayFlight 234MBH or a Whitehawk 23MBH (virtually identical floorplans). After reading the brochures, and talking to the dealer, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what differences there are in the construction of these trailers, and considering the price difference there has to be some significant differences.

Anyone have any insight?
10 REPLIES 10

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
TundraTire wrote:
I get the siding issue, I've read the long thread on here about it.

And I think I've found a great compromise, there's a jay flight optioned with a fibreglass exterior that's far cheaper than the Whitehawk.

Should be the best of both worlds, yes?

Just went through this, ended up with my second JayFlight Alum sided TT. I have nothing against Fiberglass, just when adding everything up on our pro/con list that is what happened.

Here are couple of things that steered us ...

1) JayFlight Fiberglass Sidewalls aren't the same construction method as the other Jayco lines. Jayco prides themselves on a superior vacuum bonded fiberglass construction that resists delam, not the process used on JayFlights -- according to email exchanges I had with Jayco
2). Whitehawk line us missing a lot of the nicer things available in a JayFlight and Eagle lines. For instance, lower ceiling height, smaller water tanks, smaller fridge, plastic toilet, snap-up hinges on certain cabinets and no hydraulic rams to assist lifting beds to access under bed storage.

In Jayco the eagle line of TT is really where you get the best of all worlds, but that is more than I want to spend. We are very happy with our 2nd alum sided JayFlight. I do take care of caulking and seams plus I wash/wax regularly. I don't find waxing alum sided TT to be any more effort than fiberglass. I don't use a pressure washer on my trailer, and wouldn't regardless of siding type.

Oh, we don't need to worry about hail around here. Although if I did, I might lean more heavily to fiberglass but then again I have insurance that would just fix the damage.

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at the Nash website. I see thier aluminum framing is "off road" rated.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

TundraTire
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco23FB wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Well.....
After reading the aluminum vs fibreglass debate, I was leaning towards fg simply due to the possibility of hail damage and the ease of washing.

This concept of rough roads and flex is not one I've heard before, I'd hate to limit myself to "smooth" roads only.

In your three years have you pressure washed your trailer or driven through heavy rains? Leaks?

Oy.....the decisions....

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this has any science to it...but when we were looking for our first trailer the sales guy who seems to be straight shoter told us that if we traveled on rough roads the wood framing would tend to flex where as the more rigid aluminum framing does not flex as much. He also siad if we were consered with wieght the aluminum would be a better way to go. We do travel alot on rough and gravel roads so we went with the Jayflight because of its construction. So far we have been very happy with the wood frame type we have had 3 so far. What are your thoughts?
Jayco G2 23FB

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco23FB wrote:
Jayflight has aluminum siding and wood stud construction. I like mine had 2 with no problems. Iv'e heard more problems with fiberglass delaminating and the resins going bad on RVs not specifically Jayco however. Having seen a few problems we went with the Jayflight and would buy another. Check the construction features on the Jayco website

I think a lot of the delamination was back in the 80s and 90s. I am sure that there are still a few but the process had progressed a lot since then.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
TundraTire wrote:

And I think I've found a great compromise, there's a jay flight optioned with a fibreglass exterior that's far cheaper than the Whitehawk.

Those aluminum siding seems flex in the front of the TT. Water gets forced up into the seems. When you read the manufactures manual they even say not to pressure wash the TT. That is a clue. Don't think that is specifically limited to Jayco products.

TundraTire
Explorer
Explorer

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Just took a look at the Jayco site. The Whitehawk is an ultralite and has aluminum framing and composite sides, with fiberglass caps while the Jayflight has Wood stud framing and aluminum siding.
Jayco G2 23FB

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Jayflight has aluminum siding and wood stud construction. I like mine had 2 with no problems. Iv'e heard more problems with fiberglass delaminating and the resins going bad on RVs not specifically Jayco however. Having seen a few problems we went with the Jayflight and would buy another. Check the construction features on the Jayco website
Jayco G2 23FB

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Jayflight has aluminum siding for one thing. My Jayflight leaked water when driving in a driving rain. I'd go for the fiberglass exterior of the whitehawk. I dumped my Jayflight before it was a year old. JMHO