cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter not working

peted123
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 R-Vision Crossover. I'm on my 2nd battery and now it is not charging while connected to shore power. I've read other posts about checking the converter and resetting the fuse or the switch because it could be affected from the vibration etc.

Where would I look to reset the converter

5 REPLIES 5

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You could post the name an model of your converter. I have never seen a converter with a reset feature. Most TT's have a circuit breaker close to the battery that may fail or some may have a circuit breaker that has a manual reset. This breaker is located by the tongue, sometimes on the frame or in a box on the frame.

Some converters have two fuses, one for overload and one for opposite polarity connection. They may be located on the back panel of the converter. Some TT's have these fuses located on the distribution panel. Look for two 40 amp green fuses to the left of the other 12V fuses.

All converters have a 120V circuit breaker to interrupt 120V should there be an overload or short in the device or wiring. Sometimes this circuit breaker also protects other circuits like receptacles, etc., i.e. it is shared. Some converters have their own, separate 120V circuit breaker.

The easiest way of diagnosing a converter failure is to use an hand held meter. First step is to measure voltage at the battery when the 120V power is removed from the converter, i.e. shore cord not connected. A full battery is 12.7 V. Nest is to plug in your shore cord, make sure all circuit breakers are "on" and measure again at the battery. You should see at least 13.2V. If not, while still connected, measure voltage at the output of the converter. 13.2+ is what you want to see. If the converter is not outputting 13 V or better you can assume the converter has failed. A second check after the converter is removed will confirm failure.

Sometimes, the repair is not that complicated ( a couple of capacitors or resistors on the circuit board). The problem is that repair costs are close to buying a new one and you are able to buy a better replacement than what you had. A lot of folks recommend Progressive Dynamics converters, myself included. My PD 808 is working fine and is 45 years old.

Good luck on your converter work.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you pulled and checked that 15amp fuse for continuity that yiu can see in the picture. Have you metered the 12V output lugs on the converter to check for power with the battery disconnected?

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
On my converter (different than yours) the fuses are on the end where the wires that connect to the battery are. That would probably be the logical place to look first. The 120V input to the converter has a breaker in the load center in the bedroom.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Good picture if you need to do a microscopic analysis. ๐Ÿ™‚
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Can't see a thing, your pic is W-A-Y too big. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380