cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter???

PastorMike2_22
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, I am new to this site and forum but I am looking for some help in trouble shooting some electrical issues I am experiencing. So I own a 1999 Nash 22g that I bought 3 years ago. I have not had any issues electrically prior to this. So I took it out memorial day weekend and when I was out I noticed that my batteries had went dead after only a day of being there with little use. So I went to plug into my generator and noticed that my trailer cord and the adapter had melted together, and would not plug into the gen. So I tried to plug into my truck. When plugging into the truck I can charge the batteries but after replacing the trailer cord when it is plugged into to a power source all of my dc power is not there. But all my 120v appliances till work (ac, fridge, etc.). I am not sure what is going on, like I said batteries will charge when plugged into the truck but when the batteries are low and I plug into a 120 source all my lights are dim, water pump, doesn't run, etc. Side note I do know that my batteries are on their way out as they do not hold a good charge anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated??? Thanks
Mike Pierre
1999 Nash 22G
2004 Chevy 2500 HD
8.1 Vortec Allison Trans
6 REPLIES 6

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
It's a 12V SYSTEM. If you have a shorted battery or a battery has a bad cell, when you try to charge it with the converter, the converter will try for awhile until the excessive draw causes either the converter to blow it's own fuses, the converter burns up, or it trips the circuit breaker which powers it.

Like mbopp stated, if you can't measure voltage with a meter, it's difficult or impossible to diagnose what is happening. With a $10 meter, it becomes easy. I would guess, that now, your converter is not functioning.

X2

What he said.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 12V SYSTEM. If you have a shorted battery or a battery has a bad cell, when you try to charge it with the converter, the converter will try for awhile until the excessive draw causes either the converter to blow it's own fuses, the converter burns up, or it trips the circuit breaker which powers it.

Like mbopp stated, if you can't measure voltage with a meter, it's difficult or impossible to diagnose what is happening. With a $10 meter, it becomes easy. I would guess, that now, your converter is not functioning.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

PastorMike2_22
Explorer
Explorer
So could bad batteries have anything to do with the converter, because in the past even with dead or even no batteries when I plugged into a 120 source all my lights and 12v would be bright and still work. Like I said my microwave, AC, and fridge are working while plugged in. I will start with the 12v fuses and see if they are blown though.
Mike Pierre
1999 Nash 22G
2004 Chevy 2500 HD
8.1 Vortec Allison Trans

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Without a voltmeter to take battery readings at rest and under charge you're guessing at what the problem is.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know what adapter you are using but I have not had good luck at all using the small RV30A-15A type adapters like these...

I always use something like this RV30A-15A long dogbone type adapter (WALMART)

I also use a 10-gauge (10-3) 50-foot extension cord when connected to the garage. I have used the 12-gauge size (12-3) but would never go smaller than that. Small gauge extension cord have too much loss

I always keep tabs on my connections when being used to prevent the 30AMP Shore Power Cord from looking like this photo. Mine run cool to touch...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Bad batteries, replace them.

If you want your new batteries to last as long as possible, charge them as soon as they are discharged and discharge them to no more than 50%. You may have blown a fuse in the converter because of the excessive draw it sees trying to charge a bad battery.

I would say you are #12 with the identical symptoms and issues posted in the Forum, this year. If you wish to know whether the converter is functioning or not, measure across the battery terminals when you have the converter powered. You should see 13.4 VDC or higher.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton