cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

Bit_Bucket
Explorer
Explorer
This is great! 🙂

tedrowan
Explorer
Explorer
dowel [dou-uhl] ?

Woodworking parts-dowels, buttons, plugs, dowel pins,knobs, spindles Ads
dow·el? ?[dou-uhl] Show IPA noun, verb, -eled, -el·ing or ( especially British ) -elled, -el·ling.
noun
Also called dowel pin . Carpentry . a pin, usually roundusually round, fitting into holes in two adjacent pieces to prevent their slipping or to align them.

Here's what I found!
Ted and Maryann Rowan __ Cape Cod, MA
2009 Ford F-150 FX4 + 2008 KZ Spree 261 RKS
Two Road Bikes * Two Mountain Bikes * Too little time

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
I did the shelf mod today, well, in one closet so far anyway. Instead of using round or square dowels, I used prefinished cove molding from Lowes for the support. It looks great and I didn't have to stain or paint anything. I did use some round dowels on hand for my measurements.

To attach the cove molding I used some liquid nails and used my brad nailer to hold the molding in place while the liquid nails set up.
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
tedrowan wrote:
From Dictionary.com.....dowels don't have to be round. They just have to be pegs in holes. Who knew. Not me.

Not sure why we are discussing this, but it sure is fun. Anyways... I could only find references to round dowels on Dictionary.com other than the words, "usually round" I could find nothing that said "dowels don't have to be round". The only references to "square dowel" seem to be on retail sites.

Dictionary.com: dowel

@danager:
they do say "boxing ring" and technically a ring is round.
Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Searching for diesel TV, Prodigy
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL
Selling 2010 Keystone Passport 256RLS

"Wherever you go, there you are"

danager
Explorer
Explorer
HedoTravelers wrote:
Anyone wanna buy some square circles? 🙂
Jusk kidding! Yup, it certainly appears that the retail world sells square dowels.
Remember, I'll get ya a deal on those square circles!

A square circle is a common slang term for a boxing ring 😉

tedrowan
Explorer
Explorer
From Dictionary.com.....dowels don't have to be round. They just have to be pegs in holes. Who knew. Not me.
Ted and Maryann Rowan __ Cape Cod, MA
2009 Ford F-150 FX4 + 2008 KZ Spree 261 RKS
Two Road Bikes * Two Mountain Bikes * Too little time

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone wanna buy some square circles? 🙂
Jusk kidding! Yup, it certainly appears that the retail world sells square dowels.
Remember, I'll get ya a deal on those square circles!
Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
TreeSeeker wrote:
"on the square dowels"

...so apparently someone decided to change the definition of "dowel." I thought I would point this out for others who may have been confused about this also.

Amazon does sell a commercially available part called 'Square Hardwood Dowel' so I think this is just a use of the word 'Dowel' that is not familiar to everyone.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
"A forum tip; page numbers depend on your personal settings."

OK, the posting I was referring to was two posts before my post about the square dowels.

I am seeing 181 pages.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
TreeSeeker wrote:

...It was the last post on page 180 by WBROWN62...

A forum tip; page numbers depend on your personal settings. You can choose how many posts are on a page so for me this thread is currently 91 pages long.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
"Where was the reference to square dowels?"

It was the last post on page 180 by WBROWN62.

The last few pages are all discussing the mounting of shelves using dowels.

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
Where was the reference to square dowels?

Someone mentioned using dowels as a measuring jig. How many pages ago was the 'square dowel' reference? You need to tell us what you are referring to, there have been over 1,800 posts in this thread.
Lee

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
TreeSeeker wrote:
"on the square dowels"

As I was reading the thread about using "dowels" for shelf brackets, I wondered why anyone would want to use a round rod for a bracket. In the previous message, I saw the reference to "square dowels" and then looked up dowels in both Wikipedia and dictionary.com and they define dowels as "solid cylindrical rods." However, I do see "square dowels" listed in Google search results, so apparently someone decided to change the definition of "dowel." I thought I would point this out for others who may have been confused about this also.

I too was envisioning someone using a round "dowel" for a shelf support. I assumed they used the wrong word for what they really meant since using a "dowel" wouldn't make much sense.
Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
"on the square dowels"

As I was reading the thread about using "dowels" for shelf brackets, I wondered why anyone would want to use a round rod for a bracket. In the previous message, I saw the reference to "square dowels" and then looked up dowels in both Wikipedia and dictionary.com and they define dowels as "solid cylindrical rods." However, I do see "square dowels" listed in Google search results, so apparently someone decided to change the definition of "dowel." I thought I would point this out for others who may have been confused about this also.

wilfwolf
Explorer
Explorer
Nice love it.
I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.