cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
Good point for others to think about. This pass thru is in the front, my water tank is in the back. When I screwed in my sheets of peg board, I screwed to the 2x2's and framing of the trailer. You need space behind the peg board anyway for the hooks to work properly.
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I did the passthru slideout tray this weekend. I used mostly leftover materials from a shipping crate. All I bought were the casters and two 1x3's for the top of the rails.

I'll be sanding, staining, and clearcoating it after this weekend's camping trip. It holds my Camp Chef 30,000 BTU stove, Solaire infared grill, tool bag, EZ-up, and assorted other things. I have a leg for it to bring it out all the way, basically a 2x4 with a hole drilled every inch for about 2 ft so I can set it on any surface.

It isn't the fully OMG outdoor kitchen, but this way, it holds more. It is 6' with 8' runners so I can put large items on the other end separate of this, and It is 4" off the floor so I can fit a 2'x4' lifetime folding table and grill tool kit underneath it.

It slides out both ways to access the table.

I will be adding some 2" PVC pipes the length of the passthrough for fishing poles and High Power Rocket Launch Rail storage.

It's about a $40 project, and took me about 4 Hrs.

Next project: Adding internal drawers to the stupid 10" wide by 24" deep by 62" tall three shelf pantry-black-hole-endless cabinet-full-of cr*p next to the refrigerator.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful when you are putting the screws in. My fresh water tank is right alongside the pass thru compartment.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
With the sheets being 8 ft it's not that hard. Cut to the dimensions I needed, then stuck my arm and head into the compartment and put in a few screws. I couldn't make it all the way to the middle, but there is only like 1 ft between the 2 middle screws. I also hardwired in some LEDs on a switch for digging in there at night. The bottom pieces are similar to a coated particle board, but the edges are factory sealed to not swell when it gets wet. We use them all the time for commercial real estate signs at work and the pieces I used are cut offs that were laying around.
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

Graycat
Explorer
Explorer
TheBreu wrote:
I also did the obligatory peg board in the front pass thru

That looks great! How did you get in there to install it?
Marti, Lee, and an old gray cat

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
TheBreu wrote:

Very nice, wish I had room like that.

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer

2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
Just a gentle reminder to those who have put lights on their awnings or under their RVs...please remember to turn them off when you go to bed for the night. There was someone parked next to us one time who had those flashing different colored lights under their awning and they were on all night. Nothing like sleeping to a neon sign!
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
Just a gentle reminder to those who have put lights on their awnings or under their RVs...please remember to turn them off when you go to bed for the night. There was someone parked next to us one time who had those flashing different colored lights under their awning and they were on all night. Nothing like sleeping to a neon sign!
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
pchartrand wrote:

How did you mount your LED light strip under your rig? Are they just using the 3M tape and stuck to the black coroplast under your trailer, or did you put them on the beam somehow?

When I did mine I used the strip lights in a silicone tube, no adhesive, and ran it along the frame rail with plastic plumbing straps. Similar to the metal stuff that is roughly 1/2" wide with holes every inch or so. Been on there for a couple thousand miles with no issues yet. I used self tappers right to the beam
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coolerman wrote:

Nice! I just installed LED strip lights under mine this past weekend.

Another option for mounting your LED lights, especially with the style frame beam you have, would be to use beam clamps with the 1/4" threaded holes. Clamp to the beam then just screw in the 1/4" screw holders you already have!
http://www.showmecables.com/product/Iron-beam-clamp-for-1-4-20-thread-single-item.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=93-260-119&zmam=49733141&zmac=5&zmas=1&zmap=93-260-119&gclid=CJroutWli8gCFQ-IaQodiBoEjA

How did you mount your LED light strip under your rig? Are they just using the 3M tape and stuck to the black coroplast under your trailer, or did you put them on the beam somehow?
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Duramax)

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
Nice...
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing really special to note, mostly organization in the closets and such. I have only owned the camper a few months, did the tent thing for 25 ish years. This mod seems to be popular to all that see it in the campground. It was a hit at Halloween camp with the fog machine.

Spring plans are to completely re-do the interior (have to get rid of the dated junk).
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Roscopcoletrain wrote:
hmm, maybe some sort of storage container mounted on the back bumper for the adapters. hmmm hmmm hmmm

I bought a small Plastic tool box mounted it on back bumper with U bolts.

It is large enough for all the stinky slinky attachments without adding much weight to bumper.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
I have stopped carrying my stinky stinky in the bumper after only a few months. It has rusted the wire inside of it, and I think my generator exhaust cooked it a bit too. I used to keep it in a tote in my passthrough, but even well rinsed, it smelled like stale water. Going the fence post route with a gutter tray inside myself next. The Gutter tray will hold it and make it easy to slide in and out, and also act as a ramp to the connection in campsites...
-CHR$