cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deploying side awning

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, my wife and I were setting up in our new to us camper and we couldn’t reach the leg mechanisms so we had to stand on a picnic table to reach and set it up . Does everyone out there have this problem? It would seem to me a step ladder would come in real handy but i’ll just do without.. Thanks
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator
9 REPLIES 9

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
jimh406 wrote:
I'm not sure I'm understanding the type of awning. Do you have the long steel wire to manipulate the awning and pull the strap?
. i have the one that has release latches on the lower ridge that if unlatched gives the vertical support legs flexibility to move , there is no wire or strap . I’m too short to reach it .
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Aww... the classic Carefree side awning! I have one on my camper that I've never used as I'm 'vertically challenged' and while I carry a 2' tall step ladder it is not tall enough for deploying the legs on the awning.

- Mark0.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Like This. The struts that run from the outer edge of the awning back to the camper are stored in the outer edge of the awning. Have to be pretty tall to reach them and pull them out.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure I'm understanding the type of awning. Do you have the long steel wire to manipulate the awning and pull the strap?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
A ladder is too big for me to stow and a bucket isn’t tall enough , so i’ll just do without the side awning unless some type of ladder becomes available on the road. Thanks for the responses .

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a 4’Louisville step ladder across my back seat of my truck, just for the side awning, but it comes in handy for other tasks.

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
5 gallon buckets work in a pinch.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
I can just reach mine but I'm over 6' tall

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
I use a small stepladder when its on the truck just to high, maybe thats why all you can get now is auto ones.
Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.