Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential covers 101

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
PU Truck mag

That answered a lot of my questions about these covers. Extra large ones may not make a lot of sense because they disturb the oil flow in the housing.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
54 REPLIES 54

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I have serviced our Chev rear end 10 times. 100K miles. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
I would imagine that most people never change the differential fluid or even think about it. Just like transfer cases on a 4x4, out of sight, out of mind.

Me, I'll keep my stamped metal covers. Don't need no stinking aluminum ones.

On Class 8 trucks, the only time the fluid gets changed is if there is a component failure and even then if there is no collaterial damage (metal in the fluid), it just gets topped off, not changed.

Finally Class 8 gearboxes are filled for life, no change needed.
When I worked for Saunders Leasing we rented class 8 trucks. Rear ends and gear boxes were serviced every 90K miles.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoBoy wrote:
Hey Fish, I do the same thing with my rims, except I use Bon-Ami or Barkeeper Friend, cleans without scratching.:W

Thanks for the tip GeoBoy.... next time I'm in wal mart (aka deer camp) I'll look for these.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Fish, I do the same thing with my rims, except I use Bon-Ami or Barkeeper Friend, cleans without scratching.:W

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Fish be HONEST, what date were these pics taken? Looks like a highway princess that has no idea what a deer camp looks like.

"with a steel finned factory cover" where are the fins???

Yes mine chattered on take off turning towing 33-35k combined but I had exceeded the time limit for towing heavy on my first change. Not sure your diff has seen a hard days work as mine does at 35k combined.

My mistake on the steel finned factory cover. I should have said steel stamped factory cover. I suppose if I took a picture of my engines oil pan you would be saying my truck has 10k miles and hauls creampuffs.

Again be honest how many miles on the truck when the pic was taken???

Not busted.... I took these pictures when I rotated my tires about ~7k miles ago. I typically clean the ID of the rims with commet and a plastic bristle brush

Deer Camp at the Walmart parking lot??? :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Fish be HONEST, what date were these pics taken? Looks like a highway princess that has no idea what a deer camp looks like.

Yes mine chattered on take off turning towing 33-35k combined but I had exceeded the time limit for towing heavy on my first change. Not sure your diff has seen a hard days work as mine does at 35k combined.

My mistake on the steel finned factory cover. I should have said steel stamped factory cover. I suppose if I took a picture of my engines oil pan you would be saying my truck has 10k miles and hauls creampuffs.

Not busted.... I took these pictures when I rotated my tires about ~7k miles ago. I typically clean the ID of the rims with commet and a plastic bristle brush

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
HA, yea he is busted!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is what a properly maintained diff looks like that tows 33-35k combined, with an aluminum finned factory cover.

This is what a proper diff looks like that tows, hauls, exposed to salt water with a steel finned factory cover, with no leaks, no adding amzoil to eliminate chatter, no after market non sense, no bs having to inspect gears and that non sense, no maintenance after 6.5years and 155k miles. As a matter of fact I used the Electronic Locking Diff (ELD)Lock this morning while getting out of the deer camp while pouring down rain.

OK, Fish that undercarriage looks pretty darn clean....are you under there hand washing all of the components and repainting them? :B There's not even any brake dust in the inside of those wheels....
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what Rancho shocks have to do with diff covers, but I have had Ranchos on 3 different vehicle, currently have the 9000`s on my X never had an issue. I like them. Its nice to be able to adjust for ride quality when towing or not!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
Bilsteins are like Rancho, pay for the name. Like bino's, buy Swarovski for 2 grand or buy Vortex for a grand. The Swaro's are marginally better but not a thousand bucks better. I have a pair of 10-40's. Only reason I have them is got them used for a grand.

I put the Skyjackers through some pretty hard times off road and never had issue one with leaks or fade. I had a Rancho steering damper that started leaking less than 6 months after I put it on.

Even Rancho is better than Nonroe Shocks. Those are real junk.

IMO Rancho shocks are not the quality pieces they used to be. I guess I'm going to find out on the Bilsteins. Haven't had them since my '92 Chevy Z71.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
ib516 wrote:
What do shocks have to do with rear diffs? LOL
All about the "look" to set the truck apart from others.

People spend tons to change the cosmetic look that adds no function. Sometimes shocks and diff covers could actually improve something.