cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I have enough goat?... I mean Ram......

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
As a preamble: I have a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I have the automatic 8 speed tranny... long story short... I'm rated at 8,150 towing, and 1,650 payload. It is what it is, and such shall it be... at least for a couple of years. (I might add that I'm very happy with the truck)

I am looking at a new trailer (Sonoma 240 RKS if your curious).

The trailer specs say 673 tongue weight, 5,976 empty, 7,673 max loaded.

So... using old-school East Texas mathematics (I had to kick a shoe off).... If you figure 400 pounds for me and my wife (that's mostly me btw ๐Ÿ˜‰ add 100 pounds for the hitch itself, and throw in 673 for the stated tongue weight... I should still have 477 pounds of capacity.

Then... in regards to the trailer: If it is at max loaded weight... I'd still have about that much capacity as far as towing...

Am I missing something?

Also, I'm currently running P275/60R20 tires... Should I strongly consider going to LT?

I also welcome hitch recommendations, as well as brake controller.

We really like the trailer... we're downsizing after three Power Strokes, and two fifth wheels... We might consider a 3/4 ton in a few years... but no sooner... So... I want to avoid burying myself just to prove my skills with a shovel.... so I am seeking the wise counsel of my forum friends...

Thanks,
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
30 REPLIES 30

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer in my sig is similar size to what you're considering, and my truck (2014 5.7 8 speed with 3,92 rear) pulled it fine. You don't mention your differential gearing, but if it's the standard 3.21 I probably would look for something lighter.
I won't recommend a hitch because any of several rated for the job will do, just be sure to look for one rated for the specific tongue weight. Brake controller? Have the factory controller installed by the dealer. A little more money perhaps, but so much better.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.