cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need weight distribution hitch?

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I have another new-bee question. We are about to buy our first travel trailer, a used Grand Design 2600RB (GVWR is approximately 8000 lbs) from dealer about 6 hours away from us, if all goes well when we get there. We do plan on purchasing a weight distribution hitch, but I'm not sure if the RV dealer sells either of the type that we'd like. Assuming not, I'm wondering if it is safe to tow the trailer home without a WDH? Our TV is a 2018 Ram 2500 with a 6.7L Cummins diesel.
40 REPLIES 40

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cobra21 wrote:
Whether you need one or not, they make A lot of Positive handling and riding improvements. I wouldn't go on a long haul without!
Brian
This is my belief as well. For short hauls I probably wouldn't spend the money. For cross country trips it makes it a more pleasant experience. I use a Reese Dual Cam on the TT's.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
discovery4us wrote:
A Ram 2500 Diesel will have no problem towing an 8,000 lbs. trailer without a WDH. Outside the RV industry people pull much heavier than that. Make sure the drawbar is rated for the trailer weight and you will be good to go.

You may as well be making that statement to a brick on an RV board, especially this one, despite it being a cold hard fact. It's just ignored by the fear mongerers who believe you're putting their and everyone else's family at risk on the road lol.

You could also add that the vast majority of WDH's in existence and use are the conventional round or torsion bar type, such as a Reese or Husky. They do nothing at all for sway control or prevention unless its added such as dual cam or friction bars.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP wants to transport an 8000# GVWR TT using a Ram 2500 with a 6.7L Cummins diesel safely without excessive sway.

First thing is to be sure the unloaded (for camping) TT has the proper tongue weight. It should be about 10% to 15% of the TT actual weight (8,000# X 12.5% = 1,000#). The dealer can measure that for you. You may need to add water to your fresh water tank to get the weight up.

Second - Can your TV handle the 1000# on the hitch? The OP states that the hitch is rated for 1800# so that's OK. Next, it's a very easy two step process to test the actual TV suspension to see if it can handle the TT. First attach the TT (with correct tongue weight) to the TV and measure the height of the front wheel fender. Second raise the TT off the hitch and remeasure the fender height. If the difference is less than 1/4 inch then the OP doesn't need a WDH.

IMHO a standard diesel RAM 2500 can handle the unloaded TT without a WDH as long as the TT has the correct tongue weight and a proper hitch.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Explorer
Explorer
Simple. Is your A$$ saging?
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
A Ram 2500 Diesel will have no problem towing an 8,000 lbs. trailer without a WDH. Outside the RV industry people pull much heavier than that. Make sure the drawbar is rated for the trailer weight and you will be good to go.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Whether you need one or not, they make A lot of Positive handling and riding improvements. I wouldn't go on a long haul without!
Brian

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't the primary point of a WDH to put weight back on the front axle of the tow vehicle? I'm pretty sure OP would have more front axle weight without a WDH than a gas version of his truck would have with a WDH.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our Coachmen, I purchased a new WD hitch and took it with me the day we picked up the trailer. Dealer tech installed and adjusted the hitch while we did our walk through and signed the paperwork.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
mjbenedict wrote:
IdaD wrote:
The hitch rating is 1800 lbs, so tongue weight isn't an issue. I wouldn't be too worried about giving it a shot on a ball. Might find you don'd need a WDH and certainly front axle unloading isn't going to be a concern with that CTD sitting up front.

That's most likely 1800lbs with a weight distribution setup. You're probably ok because most hitches are about half that without the weight distribution. That would be around 900lbs hitch weight. My 7500lb trailer fully loaded is 1000lbs hitch weight and can reach 1100lbs so it would be best to keep your trailer empty without the weight distribution.

No, it's rated for 1800 lbs without a WDH.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Besides thinking of your own safety and your family’s, think of the others on the road. I don’t tow anywhere without it, not even the dealer who is 2 miles from where I store mine.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
likely ok but as others have said why not pre purchase. Chances are since you are buying a new rig you can get them to set it up for you for free. at the very least they can run the main ball nut down for you since most require like 450 ft lbs
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Yesterday I saw a HD diesel truck pulling an empty constriction trailer on the freeway. It was no where near his capacity bot it was all over the road.

Probably because he had it a little bit over constricted.:B

So you saw a trailer (1) out of shape? your point?

I have a mortar mixer that weighs about 1K pounds, and a log splitter that weighs less. They tend to get out of shape and all over the road also when behind HD diesel trucks. Perhaps someone can tell me how to install a WDH on one of these.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer
Why go get a weight-distributing hitch? Simple, it improves safety. With the weight-distributing hitch properly set up, your load is evenly distributed over the axles on the trailer which gives you more stability and control.
It also gives your tow vehicle and trailer a more level ride. A squatting truck and trailer hookup doesn’t just look bad, it can be dangerous. When your tow vehicle and trailer squat, your brakes and steering won’t react quite as well nor will your headlights illuminate the road right in front of you (they will point higher into the sky). Also, minor bumps and dips are amplified and you can more easily bottom out. Finally, the trailer can sway more, as well has have more body roll.
While weight-distributing hitch usage is pretty well known to be low, the reality is it should be much higher. Just because you think your truck can “handle it” doesn’t mean it will when you need it most like in bad weather or in an emergency situation.

If you ever have an accident do you really want to give the other lawyer any advantage as to liability? What would a reasonable person do?

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
RV delivery folks tow our new travel trailers thousands of miles a year with HD pickup trucks and no WDH. I use one to satisfy the rating of the receiver. Otherwise, I’d drop it on a short ball mount and go.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
obviously the truck is capable. But you'll be getting a WD assembly eventually, so why not have it installed when you pick up the trailer? Call the dealer, if he can't get the hitch you want order it yourself and bring it with you for them to install. Or do it yourself in the parking lot if you can. Seems like a no brainer to me.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v