cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does any one have a front locking differental on a Dodge??

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok this is what I have and this is what I want to know. I have an 02 Dodge Dually. I had a really bad experience in the winter some time back. I tried to pull out of a slope in 4 wheel and the front was a complete loser as it would not engage the front when I needed it to pull me out...I want a locker front end...who has done it and show me how..

EDIT HERE: What I meant to say is only one tire will get traction
35 REPLIES 35

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
The Power Wagon has front and rear selectable lockers. As mentioned, for the front, you definitely want selectable.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

blt2ski
If you want a locker of some sort in the front, the ONLY option IMHO is to install an ARB locker or the electric Eaton locker. I would not want a locker up front for most conditions I've driven in. Some off road conditions yes. I would suspect something else is not working in the system.
If you have a GM, their is an electric solenoid that has a tendency to fail every 100K miles or so. Assuming the fronts are not turning at all! Dodge may have something equivalent up front.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Watch this video...

G80 locker
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Duallys are not good in the snow as it is cause the back wheels float more then a single rear wheel..

Do you have shift on the fly or the buttons on the dash?

Your rear may not be a locker either. And the front on those trucks are never a locker.

If the front was not engaging there could be a few issues..

They work by vacuum and electrically on some.

If you have shift on fly this engages the transfer case. If the buttons then a electric motor with a worm gear engages the transfer case. These work gears strip if you have that type.

Then once engaged there is a vacuum switch that sends vacuum to a actuator thats usually under the battery box. This in turn pulls a cable that goes to the front differential. This engages a fork that locks one wheel only on the front.

$ wheel drive on most trucks with open rears mean 2 wheel drive. One front and one rear.

Now if you have a locking rear then its 3 wheel drive.

My advice would be find out what rear you have. If not a locker, then get one there.

Then fix what issue you may have with the front..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
If the front didn't engage in 4WD, then there is a problem with it. One wheel should drive, the one with the most traction if a positraction-type axle. On a locker, both wheels would drive, and would make steering very, very difficult.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
I tried to pull out of a slope in 4 wheel and the front was a complete loser as it would not engage the front when I needed it to pull me out...

I can't help you with the locker but, does this mean your 4 Wheel Drive is not working? The front wheels are not engaging?