cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't be lazy

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
We all do it. Unhook the weight distribution bar on one side then step over the hitch to do the other side rather than walk around the truck.

I brought the trailer home after having a slide seal replaced and did exactly as I described above. I've done this more times than I can count. Well this time I stepped between the brake-away cable and the trailer frame without realizing it. I came down like I had been lassoed! I smashed my left shoulder into the truck bumper before I face planted into the gravel.

I have over 80K invested in two previous left shoulder surgeries and I certainly didn't need this. I wish I had taken the extra 15 seconds it would have taken to walk around the truck. Time will tell what my laziness cost me this time. I hope only it is only a few days of soreness. Please think about this before you step over the hitch!!!!
50 REPLIES 50

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
rdhetrick wrote:
To the OP - glad you're doing better.

But I just don't understand all the "fear" about stepping over. If you have trouble lifting your legs, or are too short to do it comfortably - fine, walk around, but there is nothing unsafe about stepping over. There is no pinch point, nothing is moving unless your doing something else seriously wrong. How do you get the safety chains hooked up? Use a long pole?

All of that "fearmongering" is unfounded.

I respectfully disagree. This is not "fear mongering," but rather a notice of a possible problem and that is what this forum is about. The sharing of ideas.

May you never fall over your hitch.

I fasten both safety chains from one side.

+1

It is just simple advice, not fear mongering.

I will continue to carefully go over my tongue, but I still appreciate the warning from others who have been injured. I still change my summer rims to winter rims in my driveway, I install my own snow blower on the tractor, the plow on my UTV, burn wood debris in my yard, fall trees, and a variety of other potentially dangerous activities... but I always appreciate advice from others regarding my safety, there is no reason to poke fun at others (not that you did that LOL)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:

But I just don't understand all the "fear" about stepping over. If you have trouble lifting your legs, or are too short to do it comfortably - fine, walk around, but there is nothing unsafe about stepping over. There is no pinch point, nothing is moving unless your doing something else seriously wrong. How do you get the safety chains hooked up? Use a long pole?

I respectfully disagree. This is not "fear mongering," but rather a notice of a possible problem and that is what this forum is about. The sharing of ideas.

May you never fall over your hitch.

I fasten both safety chains from one side.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer

Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

Yardvarkers
Explorer
Explorer
Unhook the weight distribution bar on one side then step over the hitch to do the other side rather than walk around the truck.
Yep. Did that. 2 broken ribs and 1 broken toe.
:S
"Any good that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- William Penn

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is not a lot of room on my trailer to truck so I go around. Glad your on the mend.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I fell on Friday and everyday I have felt better than the day before. Since my last shoulder surgery was only 8 months ago it gave me a pretty good scare. Today I can say I don't think I did enough damage to require a Dr visit.

To those that think they are tall enough, agile enough that it won't happen to you....wrong!! Accidents happen to everyone. I have always bragged that I was stealthy as a cat. I have always been very coordinated and only damaged my shoulder by showing off skiing doing stunts that catch up with even the best. The most recent surgery was to clean up scar tissue, spurs and calcium build up from my major rebuild after my accident 10 years ago.

I wasn't in a hurry, I thought I was paying attention and I'm stealthy as a cat:B. Never the less, I face planted and it is doubtful I'll step over the hitch again.

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your story! Hope you heal well and quickly. I truly appreciate this site for all the humility shown by everyone sharing their foibles (we all have them!). Each time it helps me to realize taking a few more minutes can save valuable body parts, and actually make the traveling more enjoyable. I hope everyone keeps these coming 'cause I know I have a thick head, and it take a lot to get me to listen to good advice like this!!!:W Thanks again!
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a newbie at this still, but I haven't gotten any grease on my clothes yet. Climbing over the coupler is easy for me (and hopefully for a few more years!). When releasing and removing the bars, the coupler is still latched. So there's no pinch point. Other than a trip hazard, what is the issue? I tend to not get in a hurry, so I'm not hopping over the bars, just stepping over (I'm just shy of 6'-2"). Yes, I could get tangled up and trip, but as long as I pay attention, I should be OK.

My sympathies to the OP, though. Those types of falls can at the least make you very sore, and at the worst, do damage that requires surgery, especially with injuries like that before.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
We all do it. Unhook the weight distribution bar on one side then step over the hitch to do the other side rather than walk around the truck.

I brought the trailer home after having a slide seal replaced and did exactly as I described above. I've done this more times than I can count. Well this time I stepped between the brake-away cable and the trailer frame without realizing it. I came down like I had been lassoed! I smashed my left shoulder into the truck bumper before I face planted into the gravel.

I have over 80K invested in two previous left shoulder surgeries and I certainly didn't need this. I wish I had taken the extra 15 seconds it would have taken to walk around the truck. Time will tell what my laziness cost me this time. I hope only it is only a few days of soreness. Please think about this before you step over the hitch!!!!

yup I've cheated a few times...My legs are not as flexible as they were 30 yrs ago. I will take your advise.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Bisker
Explorer
Explorer
I never step over the hitch, always considered it bad luck. I walk around the truck.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I'm old, I can't get my leg up that high any more.

X2... With all the med's I'm on, I can't get anything up any more either! 😉

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
after reading this post a second time to see some of the answers, I wonder just how much grease do you guys use on the hitch and bars? In my younger days I always climbed over the hitch and I have never gotten grease on my pants or if I am wearing shorts, my legs.

I agree. I have picked up more grease camping than I do working around pull-behind trailers at work. Our TT is new - all that grease is what the dealer put on the ball and the WDH parts.

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest thing that steers me away from stepping over the hitch area is when I am concerned about getting dirty - I seem to always end up with grease from somewhere on my pants leg.

I will say I happened to look that way and caught sight of DW tripping herself up on the trailer plug / wire yesterday when we got home and started to unload. She stepped over to get something form the back of the TV and almost crashed. She is shorter and less practiced at climbing around / jumping over stuff than I. I will make a point to mention this to her.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
after reading this post a second time to see some of the answers, I wonder just how much grease do you guys use on the hitch and bars? In my younger days I always climbed over the hitch and I have never gotten grease on my pants or if I am wearing shorts, my legs.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
G-half always does the step-over-the-hitch thing with the TT. And his pants are always a greasy
mess afterward, no matter how careful he tries to be (although I'm doubtful that he tries, really).

Maybe if he sees your post, he'll stop doing that and I'll be able to have a stain stick last for longer
than just one trip!

Please feel better soon!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!