cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dually Chains?

Jimster
Explorer
Explorer
We have a F350 4x4 dually with an Arctic Fox 811, and plan on using the rig through many of the coming fall and winter months in BC, Yukon, ID, MT, OR, CA and WA. I found that Washington State requires trucks with a gross weight of over 10,000 lbs. to carry chains (actually, two sets of chains) and British Columbia also requires all vehicles to have M&S tires or chains between Oct. - Mar. 31. I realize that our rig with its BFG Rugged Terrain T/A tires will probably not have any problems in the snow, but I like to be prepared for the worst.
Do those of you with truck campers on duallies carry dually chains, or do you mount single tire chains on your outside tires? I've read pros and cons for both, and recently found a good Internet price on dually chains. My Jeep and I were pulled out of the snow on Bannock Pass with a chained up dually in Montana once, and I am inclined to pop for the dually chains.
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat, LB, 6.7L Diesel, 4X4, 3.73 LSD, DRW, Camper Package, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, TireMaster A1A
2017 Arctic Fox 811, Arctic Fox Landing, 160 watt solar panel, Torklift Fast Guns, Camera-Source Plug & Play Camper Camera Kit
37 REPLIES 37

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Spend the winter in the mountains.. with trailer.

Have CDL and drive 105k rigs...still. Retired LEO. Past DOT experience.

So with all that, take all this with a grain of salt. It is the internet of course.

True story on the 10k/chains required. Reality is, WSP does not enforce it on RV rigs. Note all the trailers and p/u's heading over in 4x with no iron strapped on when 'chains required'. I speak with a bit of experience on this. Still have a few friends that work/worked the passes.

Duals...? don't bother with the doubles. PITA, not required, and, did I say they are a PITA? Cables or chains both work.

I do carry drag chains for the trailer. Getting going isn't the problem... having a trailer pass you while stopping is the problem. It makes a bad day worse.

Happy Labor Day all.. NOW, it's time to go camping.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Dually (dual chains) sound like a lot of complex work to install them, as well as trying to keep them tight.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
WayneLee wrote:
In California, it's either CHAINS REQUIRED,or no chains required. There is no in-between. The CHP determines when chains become necessary and, after that, all vehicles must put on their chains. On duals, only the outer one is required. No snow tires are acceptable.

Can be very bad when you don't have chains and you are caught in a sudden snow storm. You have to sit there alongside the road until you either purchase some from vendors waiting there just for this situation or wait until the roads are opened up by the CHP. Don't ask me how I know this...

There are 3 levels, much like many other states. http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
In California, it's either CHAINS REQUIRED,or no chains required. There is no in-between. The CHP determines when chains become necessary and, after that, all vehicles must put on their chains. On duals, only the outer one is required. No snow tires are acceptable.

Can be very bad when you don't have chains and you are caught in a sudden snow storm. You have to sit there alongside the road until you either purchase some from vendors waiting there just for this situation or wait until the roads are opened up by the CHP. Don't ask me how I know this...

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Single chains are a lot, lot, lot easier to put on. Carry a piece of 2x4 or 2x6 about 6 - 8" long. Run the inside tire up on it, then you have room under the outer tire to put the singe chains on - it's rather easy even.

If you thought one set of singles wasn't going to be enough traction, then carry another set and put them on the front end. If you're front tires can't grab to stay up on a curve or get traction to steer, then you aren't going anyplace.

On May 26th this year I headed south from Alaska in my truck. Got down into northern Canada (where the leaves were all out and the farmers were planting the fields) and ran into a snow storm that dumped 8" in the mountains. It was interesting to watch everyone when the traffic started to move again - especially the RVs.

Most of the problems were where everyone came to a stop because the tractor trailers that went off of the road. Most of the problems for the trucks pulling TTs or 5ers and DPs was they came to a stop on the banked curves. When they tried to start out again, their drive wheels just went sideways taking them closer and closer to the ditch or guard rails. One guy came through with a large toy hauler and he was chained up front and rear. Wasn't having a problem starting, stopping or steering, just kept moving at 10 - 15mph.

I plowed snow in the hills above Anch for years, when the roads got slick, I chained up front and rear. I got stuck sometimes with only rear chains, but never with all wheels chained and I always had a large fuel tank in the back for weight.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
I carry chains for the outer wheels, must admit that I have never used them.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

kenzmad
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. Good question. I had no idea that there was a 10k threshhold. Thanks for asking this
1999 f350 cc psd long bed 4x4 with banks stinger. 3 guage pod,kwik intake,wicked wheel,ccv mod,BTS tranny, vision 19.5s,toyo m608s,rancho 9000, slotted and crossdrilled rotors, 2006 S&S 9.5fbsc

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Back in my plowing days, I only used outer chains, and that was rarely. I had a hydraulic salter so I had enough weight back there for traction.