cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duramax injectors

jim_summers
Explorer
Explorer
anyone out there had to have their Duramax injectors replaced ? I guess GM had a "quiet recall" back in 2010. My Duramax only has 80,ooo & I've had no problems. But the guys on the Duramax site say "I will". It's about a $4000 job so I wonder if I should trade up my `03 Duramax before I'm hit w/ that big bill. Thnx in advance
`03 Duramax, Nash 25R TT, Equalizer WD
8 REPLIES 8

raygreg
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 had new injecters at 90000 miles. At about 140000 it need them again. I traded it for a 2013 Dodge. I hope this one lasts longer.

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Shop around on the labor there are many shops out there that are doing the job a lot cheaper and wont rip you off. but I would not worry about it. My buddy has an 01 with 150000 and it needs injectors but he keeps driving on his. Only at idle they leak and when normal driving conditions they perform perfect. He is saving for a set

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
I monitor mine on my Edge CTS Insight. I check at each oil change the injector rates....to be between -4.0 and 4.0. Mine stay at -1.0 - 1.0 with the exception of a single injector, it stay at -2.5.

There are all kinds of ways to watch for injector failure...I send in an oil sample each change and scan over it for fuel in the oil. I have heard people say rough idle, loping when cold, lack of acceleration, etc....

You can do an injector cleaning in a couple hours. Getting a gallon of diesel , injector cleaner, 6 feet of fuel hose and a 6 pack of beer. The directions are on the duramaxforum, but it is super easy...gets done once a year for me.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Hazeing smoke at idle a bit whitish don't worry dude just drive and if someday you need them 3000 gets new improved and good for a long time . Keep that fuel filter clean !!

PartyMarty
Explorer
Explorer
What are the symptoms of the failed injectors on the Duramax ?
Is there a preliminary sign that shows up ?
Or does ONE just fail completely and then you replace the rest ?

ronfisherman
GM was already replacing injectors in 2001 to 2004.5 (LB7) trucks when I purchased my 2004.5 (LLY) motor home in 2006. Not sure I would trade in a good running truck just to avoid a $4000 repair bill. Have you priced a new truck? There is one thing that might make me do that. If a super deal came along on a 2006 to 2007.5 (LBZ) truck/motorhome.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '02 with 115000 miles. It has had 2 and 1/2 sets of injectors. The first set at 1700 miles. The last set at 90,000 miles. Currently it is running good. Somewhere around 2008, Bosch is said to have done an upgrade to make them last longer. If you need to replace them, make sure they are Bosch re manufactured.

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 05 LLY...knock on wood, no known problems. I change the fuel filter with a Racor filter every 10k miles and run Stanadyne every tank....plus only fill at high volume stations. Is it expensive to replace the injectors? Yes, especially if you want to get some good remaned ones. Is it worth dumping a whole truck that is capable for a potential $700-$1000 payment for a new truck? Nope.

I also keep money in the bank for the head gasket job, if and whenever that may occur. This is a great truck, and it doesn't cost me new.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler