cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ecoboost towing mileage

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
Whelp my 2011 XLT got me 10.5 with some hills going out to Riverhead ( 30 miles ). We'll see what I get when I go to Pa. in 2 wks. Didn't bother with the Tow/Haul mode. RPM's go up.......mileage goes down!
God Bless.

Phil
63 REPLIES 63

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
All advice well taken. Thanks. This truck is new to me but I do have many miles travelled in all the other ones I've had. Happy camping to all!!

God Bless.

Phil

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Glad you like the TV but a 30 mile trip is meaningless. Drive from sun up to sun down burning several tanks of fuel and figure your mileage. The fuel usage in my signature is over tens of thousands of miles, not a trip around the block.

Low RPM can mean a lugging engine which destroys a gas burner. Tow/haul modifies your shift points to maximize performance and keep the transmission cooler.

Enjoy your rig and make it last!

I agree with beemerphile on the distance issue...you need several real trips 500 - 1000 miles to get a good idea of mileage. I live in the Smokies so every tow is in the mountains leaving and coming home. I usually get + / - 9 mpg with my 08 2500 HD silverado, 360 hp 6spd trans, 4wd hooked to a 26SS Koala.....having said that unless your mpg is truly atrocious it doesn't matter and it is what it is....I figure being out enjoying the country is well worth the lower mpg when towing and so I don't sweat it. Enjoy the experience, not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you like the TV but a 30 mile trip is meaningless. Drive from sun up to sun down burning several tanks of fuel and figure your mileage. The fuel usage in my signature is over tens of thousands of miles, not a trip around the block.

Low RPM can mean a lugging engine which destroys a gas burner. Tow/haul modifies your shift points to maximize performance and keep the transmission cooler.

Enjoy your rig and make it last!
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
T/H mode isn't for mileage, it's for better performance and more importantly, longer trans life.
Higher RPM's don't always equate to lower mileage. The loading of the engine is very important for fuel efficiency. Lower RPM's can mean heavy loading and poor mileage/shorter eng life.