cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice - In a Pickle

Hyfives5
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 (company-owned) F150 SuperCrew with the 5.0 V8, 3.31 gears and 145" WB. It has the tow package and integrated brake control system. Sine it's company-owned, there's no upgrading and no changing the gears, etc. The GCWR is stated at 13,500lbs with a curb weight of 5,254lbs. The tow capacity is stated at 8,000lbs.

I found a screaming deal on a 28ft. TT with with 5,770lbs shipping weight and a GVWR of 7,690lbs. The numbers on paper look decent, with about 1,000lbs of occupants/dogs/stuff & hitch in the truck and throwing another 1,000lbs in the TT for good measure and the numbers seem to indicate around a 800-1,000 left over for good measure.

Does all that sound right? Does anyone else two with the 5.0 in a similar configuration that can set my mind at ease a bit? I'm not new to towing, but my previous TT was around 7,500lbs - but towed with a V10 Excursion.

Need to make a decision quick on the TT. It really is a screaming deal for a 2014 model... Thanks in advance...
San Diego, CA
27 REPLIES 27

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. Sounds like a good choice. Enjoy it!
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Hyfives5
Explorer
Explorer
FYI. I did pass on the 26ft and ended up buying a 2012 Aljo 250 with three bunks. It should be perfect for our family and our TV with a dry weight of 4,700lbs. and GVWR of 6,200lbs. We pick her up tomorrow. I'll need to update my sig once we get it home - but we're going direct from the dealership to the beach for the weekend. Carpe Diem...

Thanks for all the advice.
San Diego, CA

blt2ski
I might do it, I would want to know what the axel ratings were vs just the gvwr. But being as the OP has decided NOT to get the trailer.....we will never know how well or not it will tow. Personally, I think it would do WAY the hecko better than most of you think it will. My son has pulled 7-8K lb trailers with his 4 sp 3.42 geared 1500 GM, it does just fine. This newer ferd with the 6 sp should do even better yet as APT pointed out from a gearing standpoint. Besides, the motor in the OP's truck is probably around 300 hp! better than the 7.3 psd many of you like to say is one of the better motors. So it has a few more lbs of torque, but again, would bet the 5.0 is putting an equal amount to the ra with the gearing this thing has vs what one had in a 7.3psd! or an early cummins, or gm 6.5 etc.

Heck, I used to pull this with a 105/274 292 I6. Or upwards of 26K with a 175/330 non turbo diesel..... I would sorry about the chassis more than the drive train.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

AlbertaNewbie
Explorer
Explorer
1619lb payload less 1000lb tw =619lbs for anything on the truck over a full tank of gas and a 150lb driver, in other words 3-4 people and their jackets, clothes and shoes they are wearing, NOTHING ELSE as youd be over weight.
2014 Dutchmen 261bhs - 7200#'s loaded
2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab w/5.7L HEMI, 4x4 3.55 Gears
250w Conergy 250P 24v solar with tristar 45amp mppt charge controller

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
Hyfives5 wrote:
I have a 2013 (company-owned) F150 SuperCrew with the 5.0 V8, 3.31 gears and 145" WB. It has the tow package and integrated brake control system. Sine it's company-owned, there's no upgrading and no changing the gears, etc. The GCWR is stated at 13,500lbs with a curb weight of 5,254lbs. The tow capacity is stated at 8,000lbs.

I found a screaming deal on a 28ft. TT with with 5,770lbs shipping weight and a GVWR of 7,690lbs. The numbers on paper look decent, with about 1,000lbs of occupants/dogs/stuff & hitch in the truck and throwing another 1,000lbs in the TT for good measure and the numbers seem to indicate around a 800-1,000 left over for good measure.

Does all that sound right? Does anyone else two with the 5.0 in a similar configuration that can set my mind at ease a bit? I'm not new to towing, but my previous TT was around 7,500lbs - but towed with a V10 Excursion.

Need to make a decision quick on the TT. It really is a screaming deal for a 2014 model... Thanks in advance...

It sounds to me like you will be way over GMVWR. We were over with virtually the same truck (2013 F150 Crew Cab). You will almost certainly be over the max payload for the truck. The towing rating and hitch weight (with a WD hitch) will work (barely), but your payload is probably under 1,500 lbs if you weigh the truck.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

APT
Explorer
Explorer
bigorange wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Will it tow it? Yes absolutely. Will you be happy pulling it? That is a question only you can answer. Consider going up a mountain grade at 20 MPH, or white knuckle ride going down the other side. Or god forbid a panic stop and you being pushed through an intersection.
Personally I think it just too much for a 1/2 ton. But thats only my opinion.

Agree 100%

I had almost the same truck as my first TV, pulling our TT that was more in the 6,000 range. It towed it, but not great. I was always a little anxious, and the truck didn't pull hills very well. I think the gear ratio is definitely the limiting factor. I upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel and no worries. 😄

Disagree 100%.

Trailer brakes stop the trailer. TV brakes stop the TV. Gearing of 3.31 is better than 5 years ago with 4.56!

And the 5.0L makes far more HP and a little more torque than the old 5.4L. Power isn't the problem. And it wouldn't be going 20mpg up hills/mountains. Springs/suspension.

Would a 3/4 ton diesel be better? Absolutely! But the difference in towing performance is not that wide.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Will it tow it? Yes absolutely. Will you be happy pulling it? That is a question only you can answer. Consider going up a mountain grade at 20 MPH, or white knuckle ride going down the other side. Or god forbid a panic stop and you being pushed through an intersection.
Personally I think it just too much for a 1/2 ton. But thats only my opinion.

Agree 100%

I had almost the same truck as my first TV, pulling our TT that was more in the 6,000 range. It towed it, but not great. I was always a little anxious, and the truck didn't pull hills very well. I think the gear ratio is definitely the limiting factor. I upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel and no worries. 😄
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely talk to the company about your truck being used to pull the TT.

We have had numerous company vehicles/ trucks. The company would not have allowed this as well as the company's insurance poicy on the truck.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Does not sound like enough payload for 1000 pounds of people and cargo in the bed plus 1000 pounds of TW. 1600 pounds of pretty good though. If you can put as much into the TT as possible, great!

While 3.31 is not ideal, the 6-spd trans really helps. Like better than older 4-spds with 4.10 axle.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I'd do it. It won't perform as well as if you had a better axle ratio, and you'll have to watch how you pack so you don't overload the pickup. But really going a little over GCWR just means you'll be a little slower sometimes, and you may have a keep a closer watch on your transmission temps. COnsidering the alternative would be buying your own truck, I think close is good enough in this case.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
aftermath wrote:
HyFives,

What do you have to lose by giving this a try? I pull a trailer with a GVW of 7200 with my "little" half ton Tundra. Folks on this forum say over and over again it won't work. I especially love the response, "Can you pull it, yes but will you be happy pulling it?" Unless you have a heavy duty 3/4 ton diesel, you should just stay home on the weekends.

What's the rear axle ratio on your Tundra?

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
Hyfives5 wrote:
The payload (on the sticker) is 1,619lbs.

I've decided to wait and pass on the deal...

Probably wise. A 6700 lbs camper will likely have a 800-1000 lbs TW, and with the your payload rating and the 1000 lbs of people/stuff/hitch you estimated you would have been a bit over payload.

When I moved back to Orlando from Huntsville, AL, I had the truck a tad overloaded. The combo worked fine, but was not something I would have been comfortable with under normal circumstances. Since it was just me with the TV & TT, and the folks following with their A, we took the back roads to keep speed down and stay out of heavy traffic.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) 😞
2013 North Trail 28BRS

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
Myself, I'd do it, but I've been known for doing things most folks won't.lol As long as the numbers are fine, whether you like how it pulls is a personal preference really.
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
HyFives,

What do you have to lose by giving this a try? I pull a trailer with a GVW of 7200 with my "little" half ton Tundra. Folks on this forum say over and over again it won't work. I especially love the response, "Can you pull it, yes but will you be happy pulling it?" Unless you have a heavy duty 3/4 ton diesel, you should just stay home on the weekends.

Towing anything at the limit of the specs will always be a bit iffy. In these cases it would serve you well to really look at how you plan to use your trailer. Are you the type to load the truck heavily with toys, wood, generators and such? Do you drive fast and want to speed up the hills? Well, if so, then you do need to heed the "advice" given by the bigger is better crowd. If not then I would say that the company truck will work for you. Is there a way you can give this a try? What is the chance of talking your boss into a slightly better truck?
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch