Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eh Weight Police!

franco_ontarien
Explorer
Explorer
And it wasn't even a dually.

Putting it here in truck campers, because that's what I have and where I see the most comments on weight...

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/silverado/auto-news/news/ontario-driver-ticketed-for-towing-53-foot-semi-trailer-with-chevy-silverado

Discuss...
20 REPLIES 20

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
This was Posted Just Before Christmas.
It had several comments.

Bedlam
I see pickup trucks with goosenecks moving empty container boxes often. filling one up with Styrofoam peanuts or potato chips could easily be done within OEM ratings.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
While I doubt he had a heavy duty enough hitch to deal with the tow dolly, it is hypothetically possible that the trailer would have been within its tow ratings and GVWR. I could almost certainly pull that trailer, empty, with my SRW 1 ton truck without overloading it. I'd probably even have a few thousand pounds of GCWR to spare.

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Norfolk County is where the farm boys live and play. Inventive lot apparently!
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Seen this already. Was thinking more along the ingenious route than the stupid route!
(It really is dumb, but I bet everyone would be surprised how well it towed. Usta move 44’ float trailers, empty, on and off the road in and out of our work zone with a dolly hooked to the pintle hitch on a F350 on one job. Never went more than 20-30mph, but it worked ok.)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
That is not overweight, that is just plain stupidity. He deserved the ticket with that home rigged setup. That is just reckless.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!