cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Experts Please

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
A trailer we are considering is pre-wired for two A/C units, but it only has one. It is listed as 50 amp.

Would this mean that there is more amperage available for general use?

For example, in our 30 amp trailer we cannot run the A/C and the microwave at the same time if the electric water heater is on.

Would a 50 amp allow that for example?

Is 50 amp service really an advantage over 30 amp?
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006
15 REPLIES 15

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
kgarrett9999 wrote:
I have thought about moving the microwave and the hot water heater to the other half of the box, but haven't taken the time to look to see if there is enough wire to reach to the other side.

That would be my thought too. There is normally enough slack on wire in a panel to relocate a hot wire. But since 30 amp pedestals are more common, you may not be any farther ahead and you won't be able to run two ACs on 30amps. If we were to have two ACs, I'd consider installing a 20 amp power inlet and plugging into the 20 amp receptacle in a pedestal. You could even plug the extension cord back into a receptacle on the side of the TT for more flexibility, but you'd want a new dedicated receptacle on the side of the TT (on the 2nd AC unit leg of 50 amp panel).

westend
Explorer
Explorer
For clarity: 50 amp service is split into two 50 amp legs at the load center of the RV. 100 amp service is split into two 100 amp legs at the load center of your house. They are not equal. The house has twice the power available.

FWIW, when I restored my old Starcraft, I installed a 50 amp load center and the requisite 50 amp power inlet. I have the alike amperage circuit breakers divided between the two legs, an equal number on each side of the load center. I've found that allowing for headroom from the supply side is best practice. Once you start tripping breakers and overloading circuits, any common electrical problems that may ensue become more complex. The only downside to 50 amp service in an RV is the additional cost of the shore power cord. A user with 50 amp service can always connect to 30 amp CG service with the appropriate adaptor.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
kgarret,

Interesting CB arrangement. I'd prefer one that is better balanced rather than pushing one leg towards it's limit. Amps cause heat and heat can let the smoke out.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is 50 Amp and is wired for a 2nd A/C unit that isn't installed.

Basically, 50 amp service is really two separate 50 amp circuits. My breaker box is split in half and each 50 amp circuit serves half the box. Virtually everything in the trailer is on one 50 amp circuit except the 2nd A/C wiring and my converter.

So bottom line is that 50 amp service does give me an extra 20 amps on the side where everything is, but the 2nd 50 amp circuit does virtually nothing (except of course run the converter).

Practically speaking, I can pretty much run everything I need to without issues, but if I had the electric hot water heater on and my wife got out of the shower and started drying her hair at the same time that I decided to turn on the microwave on a warm day with the A/C going, I'd probably trip a breaker.

I have thought about moving the microwave and the hot water heater to the other half of the box, but haven't taken the time to look to see if there is enough wire to reach to the other side. And since we haven't had any issues so far it isn't a high priority on my task list.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Electricity is just smoke inside wires trying ti escape. It flows like water, downhill to the least resistance. 50 AMP will operate a dryer, or a welder just in case you want to weld your underwear to dry them.

Quality_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
100A IS a lot of power for an RV. My stick house has 100A service, as do plenty of others. Some very old house wiring might even be 50A.
'93 Dutchmen 18' TT, pulled by '02 Dodge Durango 5.9

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
campigloo wrote:
Seems to me it would depend on how it's wired at the onboard breaker box. If there is a dedicated line for the extra a/c, there would be no additional amperage for the rest of it. The other breakers are probably still 30 amp.
I would expect each AC to be on a dedicated 20A CB. That leaves plenty of power for MW, HW, ceramic heaters and hair dryer all running at the same time. 100A is a lot of power for a RV.

Bob

IPegasus
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Seems to me it would depend on how it's wired at the onboard breaker box. If there is a dedicated line for the extra a/c, there would be no additional amperage for the rest of it. The other breakers are probably still 30 amp.

x2.
2015 Chevrolet 2500HD CC LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Reese DC HP, Husky Brute 4500
1999 Wilderness GL 27F

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
50A has 2 hot wires at 50A each. So 100A at 120V is available. Plenty to run everything all at the same time. 30A is 3,600W and 50A is 12,000W, big difference.

Bob

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
I guess 50 amp vs 30 amp will become a higher priority when shopping.

It will also become a higher price at some campgrounds. I have seen campgrounds that charge from $5.00 to $10.00 additional per day if you need a 50 amp hookup. I imagine more and more campgrounds are going to start doing this. Most of these same campgrounds also have written in their rules that no electric heaters are allowed.

Bruce

Valid point. I have seen some campgrounds already charging up to $5.00 a day extra for 50 amp. Thanks for the reminder.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
I guess 50 amp vs 30 amp will become a higher priority when shopping.

It will also become a higher price at some campgrounds. I have seen campgrounds that charge from $5.00 to $10.00 additional per day if you need a 50 amp hookup. I imagine more and more campgrounds are going to start doing this. Most of these same campgrounds also have written in their rules that no electric heaters are allowed.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Outstanding! Question posted at 10:32.

Two expert responses within 7 short minutes.

Thank you both, I guess 50 amp vs 30 amp will become a higher priority when shopping.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If the 50 amp is sensibly wired you should be able to run everything at once. Each "leg" can have up to 6000 watts, so there is more than three times as much power available, provided that there is good solid power at the campground, than in a 30 amp service.

It is important to have a good top of the line surge suppressor if going to a 50 amp service.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.