cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equalizer WD hitch

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
I recently posted a question about WD hitches/sway control for my 1st TT. Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

As a result of the good advice, I am shopping for an Equalizer hitch. My trailer has the following weights:

Unloaded (Dry)wt, per door sticker 4837
Unloaded hitch wt 460 (9.5%)

I haven't picked it up from the dealer yet, so I don't know what it will weigh when loaded, or how much the load will increase the hitch weight.

If the weight I add is 700-900 lbs, increasing the total to 5537-5737lbs, and the hitch weight is 12-13%, that would mean a HW of 664-746. But, since my TT has appr 10% tongue wt empty, maybe it will be about that when loaded. Most of the storage areas, in and out, seem to be toward the middle and back of the trailer. So maybe the hitch wt will be closer to 550-600 lbs., or maybe just a little more than 600, say 625.

The wt ranges of the Equalizer hitch are:
tongue/total wts 600/6000lbs.
1000/10000

So, it seems very likely that my tongue wt will be slightly under or slightly over the 600 lbs, but the total weight will definitely be under the 6000 lbs mark by a couple of hundred.

Does anyone have an idea about which model I should get? I have read that using a WD hitch not appropriate to the trailer weights will result in the hitch not doing its job properly. I want to get this right the 1st time! And I have to negotiate this issue with the dealer tomorrow.

Also, I found a used Equalizer on CL, but the owner has no paperwork, and doesn't know what size he has. Is this marked on the hitch anywhere? He is out of town and can't look at it, but can have someone inspect it if they know where to look.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

KeithR
Explorer
Explorer
Like GaryWT said, go a little bigger than you need. I have the Equalizer 12k for my TT. It's gross weight is around 8500.
Test,test, is this thing on?

2016 Ram 3500 CC w/duallys, 6.7l Cummins 4x4
2015 Flagstaff 27RLWR

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
My former Springdale was in that area and the factory said go 1000#. There will be no problems. They are very helpful on the phone.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
You want it a bit larger than you need plus if you upgrade the trailer you might not need to upgrade the hitch. What is the brochure loaded weight, I would go with that and then take a percentage of that. 10% is on the light side but it sounds like you do not have the pass through front storage. Add the weight of the battery and propane to the hitch weight that you have. Too much weight in the back will make it tougher to tow. Good luck.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Go to this link on their site Pick Me and it will have you enter some info and then suggest which one you should go with. I purchased my 12k at State Trailer and they were like 100 cheaper then any where else. But that was also like 4 years ago.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 35 ft TT and got a equalizer four point sway control hitch. the best by far I have ever used to pull any of my TT's with. get it set up properly and you will have many trouble free miles of towing. I have two older hitches with chains I am putting in the yard sale next spring.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a link to etrailer.com. I've purchased a couple hitches from them.

They're quite knowledgeable, helpful, and shipping is very good.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for these answers. I will call the factory Monday AM, I should have thought of that!

Also, any other advice on places to shop for these online?

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
The model number and weight rating of the hitch is on the white and yellow sticker on the load bars with the red arrows, in really tiny print.

If you go to the Equalizer WEBSITE

You will find a ton of useful info, including hitch selection and set up.

You can also call them during the week:
353 South 1100 West
Provo, Utah 84601
(800) 478-5578 - (toll free)
(801) 377-9599
info@equalizerhitch.com

Ask for tech support they are very helpful.

Also watch the price, some retail dealers are double what I paid. I got the 12K model to my door from PPL for $470 out the door.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous KZ Spree 240BH-LX typically averaged 5500 lbs loaded and ready to camp, with an average gross tongue weight of 750 lbs which was just about perfect. You won't want any less either and will therefore want the 1000 / 10,000 Equalizer, just as I did.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380