Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exterior Repairs to Lance 2003 1161

hdblair
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All:

Am about to embark on some repairs to the exterior of my Lance 2003 1161. As a result of some external leaks, I need to repair/replace some of the siding. I would very much appreciate any guidance/information regarding the process and where to locate the various materials (sheet siding, caulk, etc.).

Thanks,
Harold
7 REPLIES 7

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
WLWC...it is always good to provide pics of your issues. And the details of what you are speaking of...make, model, year! Are you referring to the bottom rail of a slide or the bottom rail under the slide which is part of the main TC framework. I am assuming (bad thing to do) that it is the bottom rail of a slide, but not really sure...PICS PICS PICS!!!!! PLEASE!!!

Have you done any search for your issue!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

WLWC
Explorer
Explorer
Who has photos and experience with slide repair. My beam is rotted from the frig, the original owner plugged the overflow, and now the whole area needs to be repaired. Should I remove the slide or push it in? Thanks, Ray

hdblair
Explorer
Explorer
pjay9 wrote:
hd, I will be interested to watch your posts. I have an 05...with major issues which I hopefully will get started on this month. Do you have a slide issue? Good luck!

No particular slide issue. When I first got the camper (use) I researched the forum regarding "sagging" issues and installed a "beam" under the side. No sag for more than 5 years now.

Will try to remember to take photos during the process. Will probably be several weeks before I start.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
hd, I will be interested to watch your posts. I have an 05...with major issues which I hopefully will get started on this month. Do you have a slide issue? Good luck!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

pbrooks101
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.... I had to replace the "wings" on a previous Lance 1061 and found Lance Camper Manufacturing to be very helpful. I was even able to order the filon siding already laminated to 1/8" luan directly from them. All of the framing that I had to replace, I used dimensional ceder and some scrap mahogany I had laying around to build the framing for the "wings". It is chronicled in another post that I have on here. A previous poster mentioned "Rot Doctor"... I used some of that as well. Seemed to work well but the challenge I found was making sure the wood is 100% dry or remove it and replace it.... Behind any exposed panel, Lance used a pebble-style aluminum. I used FRP found at Home Depot... about $40 a sheet. I also made sure to caulk everything VERY well......

(Below is the link to the 1061 wing rebuild)
Lance 1061 Wing Rebuild - pbrooks101

In 2013 I had a neighbors tree fall smack dab in the middle of the roof of my 2004 Lance 1161. The insurance company considered it totaled but I bought it back from them and fixed it myself. The interior ceiling panel was the only "specialized" thing that I needed to buy and I found it at a dealer about 3 hours away (was WAY to costly to have it shipped from a dealer). In all, I had about $400 into that fix. Time, patience, and perseverance paid off. I wouldn't trade my "slightly wounded-but-healed" 1161 for anything right now. If you want to PM me with specifics I'd be glad to give you my 2 cents worth of advice.........

(Below is the link to my roof repair of the 1161)
Lance 1091 Roof Repair - pbrooks101
2011 Ford F350 Superduty DRW SD
2011 Lance 1191 (picture below shows 2004 1161-will update soon!)
2010 HD Street Glide
2005 Pace-American MC trailer
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
A great caulk is ProFlex. Its available at many RV stores.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I had to repair delam years ago on a previous fifth wheel - you'll probably have some rot etc underneath to deal with. Look up Rot Doctor products, I used their stuff and was very pleased. You'll need a respirator for the fumes!
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube