cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F350 SRW weight limitations

zonanavystar
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been looking into getting a new truck, and I've enjoyed my current set-up and I'm thinking I would like to go the same route. I currently have a 2008 F-250 CC short bed V10. The camper is a 2000 Lance Lite 825 (basically an 815 with permanent wings). I also tow a 4500 lbs ski boat with about 450 lbs tongue weight. Been a great truck, but I'm looking at moving on to a diesel and a long bed with a little larger camper. I ran some numbers for practicality, here's what I found:

2014+ F-350 CC Long Bed Diesel.
GVWR: 11,500
Front GAWR: 5600
Rear GAWR: 7000
Base curb weight: 7800 (4410/3390 ft/rear)

2008+ Lance 915
Dry wt: 2505
Basic Options: 404
30 gal water: 249
Wet weight: 3158
Personal gear: 500
TOTAL weight: 3658

Total Payload: 4108 (includes 450 lbs tongue weight)
Est GVW 11,908

**This also puts me over the rear GAWR by about 200-300 lbs.

I'm okay with the over on the GVWR (I'm already there with the F-250). The rear axle rating I pay a little more attention to. It seems like a new F-350 should be able to haul a "small" non slide long bed camper and be able to tow a boat without going over it's rear axle rating? Am I stuck going to the DRW trucks if I want to do this? Thoughts and opinions welcome, however I'm more interested in thoughts and opinions on trucks and set-ups for truck campers and towing boats and less interested in a weight rating discussion. Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Just to let you know the base weight is nowhere close to what the actual truck will weigh. I had 2011 F350 4X4 King Ranch and it weighed over 8000#. That is without the diesel.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your GRAW is likely limited by the stock tires. Upgrading tires, possible to a 19.5" rim and tire would help.
However, yes, you're asking a lot of the truck. Diesel engines are heavy, 4 x 4 is heavy, campers are heavy. I have a dually and with my TC and boat I'm over my GVWR by more than 2,000 pounds.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a DRW truck if I were you. In fact, if for whatever reason I end up getting rid of my current truck, even though I only have a Lance 815 now, I am moving up to a DRW.

Why restrict your future camper choices just to have single wheels? There are plenty of nice campers in the 3k lb wet weight like the 915 you're using for your specs, but why not open the door to the bigger campers if you're changing trucks anyway?

I've never had a dually and I didn't buy one when I bought my current 1 ton because I didn't want to deal with the 6 tires and the parking issues.....but in hindsight it would have been a small price to pay for the stability and GVWR!