Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory Floor Repair at Keystone

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

Just sharing an evolving story to see if anyone has experience. We have a 2018 Keystone Outback and started noticing a soft spot on the floor directly in front of our stove/oven area. The weird part is 1- we have been paying to have the dealer complete a pressurized leak check each year which it passed perfectly showing no signs of leak and 2- the spot is along the edge where the floor meets the kitchen slide and is in the middle of the slide, and there are no soft spots around that said area. So the water if leaking down a wall would have to come down the wall and make a turn to this spot without damaging anything else along the way.
Not sure if that made sense, but at least to me that limits the damage to something that has happened from the underside (which is sealed and visibly appears tight). The dealer did some digging and did see it was wet and was as perplexed as I am trying to figure out where the water came from. Anyway, I got a call from Keystone today saying they are going to fully cover the repair but they want to do it at the factory. They will be covering all charges including transportation from PA to IN.

I'll update as I hear more, but I am curious if anyone has every had a factory repair done, and what your experience has been.

Thanks all!
27 REPLIES 27

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
kellem wrote:
Somewhat reluctant to post this but......buyer beware regarding foam floors.

My sister's best friend bought a brand new trailer last year, she's a rather robust lady in stature and went completely through the floor and was held hostage until help arrived.....true story.

I'll only add, it wasn't Keystone.

I know you said reluctant to post, but a pic of this event would be great!

Jerry

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhat reluctant to post this but......buyer beware regarding foam floors.

My sister's best friend bought a brand new trailer last year, she's a rather robust lady in stature and went completely through the floor and was held hostage until help arrived.....true story.

I'll only add, it wasn't Keystone.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
All I keep thinking of is when the Grinch tells the Cindy Lou Who, he's taking the tree back to his shop at the north pole because there's a light out.

May be perfectly legitimate but I would still want an explanation of what's going on...and missing a few screws isn't legitimate excuse.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the factory screwed the pooch in the initial build why would their repair be better than anybody else's?
Puma 30RKSS

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
Yep, foam flooring.

It's actually used by several manufacturers in 4-season trailers for it's insulation value.

Problem is, over time can show travel wear which is exasperated by occupants body weight.....yes it actually has a weight limit that's not disclosed.

Our last 2 trailers were foam flooring without issues but we tippy toe.

Its actually used in 75% or more of trailers, most advertised or claimed to be lightweight, 4 season has little to do with it.

The foam compresses or loses its bond to the thin plywood resulting in the soft area and flexing. Add to that some manufacturers use a minimal number of aluminum tube in the assembly which may be as far apart as 4' on center or further.

Keystone does not vacuum bond those panels, they use a pinch rolling system, two different processes and vacuum bonding is much better. Even the manufacturers who vacuum bond have issues. Some Forest River brands such as Rockwood/Flagstaff have recently went back to plywood/OSB floors due to the number of issues. Its common with laminated floors.

Unless they completly disassemble the trailer and replace the entire floor, any repair will be cobbled together. Even then, if they replace the bad floor with the same type of assembly, chances are it will happen again.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had the curbside wall ahead of the entry door bow out on our 2008 Terry. Dealer confirmed it was an issue and the factory paid for repairs. They had a transporter pick it up in our driveway and take it to a factory repair facility in PA where it was fixed and returned to us about 2 months later. Only explanation we got was that "they forgot a few screws"....

We got lucky....a week after they brought the rig back to us (Fall 2008) Fleetwood went Ch 7 and they padlocked all the facilities. Folks that had warranty repairs in progress had to wait for their rigs to be released by the bankruptcy court.

Good news, if the factory is taking it back it will be fixed right! I would be worried if the dealer was going to try and fix it. Glad you got it fixed under warranty, be patient and be happy!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, foam flooring.

It's actually used by several manufacturers in 4-season trailers for it's insulation value.

Problem is, over time can show travel wear which is exasperated by occupants body weight.....yes it actually has a weight limit that's not disclosed.

Our last 2 trailers were foam flooring without issues but we tippy toe.

Yea....... They for sure know something....

I can count on 1 finger how many times a manufactured (especially Keystone) Not only offers to cover ALL the repairs, BUT also offers to transport BOTH WAYS .. Without any argument ???

WOW... It must be something bad .. sorry for that
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Common problem with foam core floors.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
There is no leak the floor is foam and they cut grooves in it for wiring.Sadly they did it in a high traffic area and the foam is failing .

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you, I would get something in writing on how long it would be before you get it back

Guy

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like you're being treated better than 95% of owners with respect to warranty. Can't get any better
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Will be interesting to hear of your, and others factory repair experience.

Could towing in the rain, have caused this issue, and water coming from the under side?

Good luck,

Jerry