cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiberglass Blistering

PapaJim
Explorer
Explorer
Blistering over a few square feet on rear, several inches above window and a few inches below lights. Can I calk up the lights and roof above, and just accept the minor cosmetic damage, or do you think it will continue to worsen following minimal repair. If more extensive repair is needed, what is the best approach? Trailer is a 2006 Flagstaff 25D. We really like this trailer (and this forum). Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have done fiberglas repairs on airplane radomes and something you can use on hollow walls for backing is honeycomb material or stiff foam.
www.starboardmarineinc.com/Home/materials
I use a router if it goes clear through and cut out the area, taper the edges, glue stiff foam to the inside and then use 2 part epoxy and layer fiberglas on, squegee out all air bubbles, sand smooth, fill with gelcoat and sand, repeat 3 times and polish down to 1500 grit, then spray paint to match. There are all kinds of sites on boat repair that give you videos. Remember 2 things, you can be allergic to fiberglas resin and when sanding, wear rubber gloves and some type of protective clothing, taped at the sleeves and at your neck. Stuff itches!

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer
Flyfisherman128 wrote:
I have fixed half dozen delaminated spots on my motor home in the past several years. I used different methods depending on conditions. It is a process.

We would love to hear the stories of how you did it...

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
I have fixed half dozen delaminated spots on my motor home in the past several years. I used different methods depending on conditions. It is a process.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Not good...sounds like delamination. Based on the location you describe - probably water intrusion. (can be caused by glue failure also.)

Caulking and stopping any future leaks is a start, but the damage is done and the repair is expensive and complicated...as in replacing the walls or caps that are involved. There could be rot underneath the wall as well..

Sorry for my - from a far - diagnosis. Hopefully others will give you a more positive outlook.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Grammie
Explorer
Explorer
This problem is delamination. We have a 2009 Flagstaff that has gone back to the factory for this problem. The first time we were under warranty, the second time we were not. They totally repaired the back and front of our tt and the second time I requested some other things be done and they did those also without question. Contact Flagstaff factory and see what they tell you. I was so very impressed with their service. Good luck.
Dream Catcher