cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fighting Creek Gap/Little River Gorge Rd

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
Heading down to Gatlinburg area at end of May. Have itinerary pretty much planned but am planning to travel Fighting Creek Gap/Little River Gorge Rd from 441 to Townsend. Any tunnels I should be concerned with? I'm just under 12'...Ford F350 w/ Arctic Fox 1150. Thanks
2017 Ford F450 XLT CC 6.7 4X4 Dually
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m Fifth Wheel
6 REPLIES 6

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Drove the rig in my sig down the Little River Road from Sugarlands to Townsend just last week. A little under 12' high and no problems. Just keep the speed down as the road is curvy and often there is no shoulder. There are some wide gravel areas where you can pull off if you want to enjoy the creek but you'll have to pick a wider one to fit your rig. As others noted the rock overhangs are on the other side of he road but I've been that way too without hitting anything. It does add a bit of pucker factor though. If you want to eat out in Townsend we tried the Trailhead Steak and Trout and give it a thumbs up.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
blueglide wrote:
Thank you for the information. Looking forward to the trip. These forums are great for information from locals and others who have 'been there done that'.

You may be too late to get a ticket, but stop by the Sugarland visitors center and see if you can get a ticket to the Synchronous fireflies at Elkmont.

Thanks for the heads up...looks like that event takes place after our visit. So much to see and do down there. Wife and I usually head north to the U.P. of Michigan and beyond but we wanted to try something new this year. Last time we were in Gatlinburg and the Smokies was 35 years ago as we honeymooned on a Yamaha 750 triple riding through the south! ๐Ÿ™‚

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
blueglide wrote:
Thank you for the information. Looking forward to the trip. These forums are great for information from locals and others who have 'been there done that'.

You may be too late to get a ticket, but stop by the Sugarland visitors center and see if you can get a ticket to the Synchronous fireflies at Elkmont.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful drive. You should have no problems. Hope you have time to hike up to Laurel Falls. Maybe a stop or two at the pull outs along the way. Try Sinking Creek.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The overhanging rocks will scare you more than the lack of tunnels but not to bad going towards Townsend. The only tunnel is going into Cades Cove after the Townsend turn off and even that one isn't bad.

Have fun in the area. Was in Cades Cove early last week and saw lots of cute bears, turkey, deer, and even a rare coyote sighting.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)