cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally pulled the trigger..............Hallmark K2

MAXCUSTODY
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a long time since I have logged in here.........sold my Toy Hauler many years ago. However I am back in the saddle....

Well after a lot of research, I ordered a Hallmark K2 today. Overland Expo West in Flagstaff last weekend, helped me make the final decision. I have been researching all the pop up truck campers over the last 3 years. I narrowed down my choices to Hallmark and FWC. In the end I chose the Hallmark. I ordered the rear storage boxes, side and rear awnings, rear ladder, air conditioning (wife has to be happy) as well as complete solar. Now the wait begins............build will be complete August 21!!

I have plenty of time to get the truck ready. Main mods are BFG all terrain tires, Helwig air bags and rear sway bar.

2014 F250 Crew lariat 6.7
Hallmark K2 ordered 5/17/17
28 REPLIES 28

MAXCUSTODY
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Maxcustody....

I agree the low profile was a definite plus and one of my reasons for buying. I live in West Texas and the wind is constant.....I too drove over the road and can relate. You can't beat the price point on the Palomino, and I am glad you have had good luck with it. ................

I'm envious in the least. The Palomino was my test to see if I was going to keep running a TC or become a motel tourist. I had a contract run from MBPXL to New York City hauling boxed meat for Gingold Foodum ocasionally NM too. That wind never stopped it seemed like.

Really no issues at all (Palomino) which is uncommon for an entry level PUP. especially a FR Product. I expected the worse (after owning a Lance HS) and I was quite surprised. Fit and finish is good, everything works (had to modify the ammonia fridge a bit, FR 'forgot the insulation and the baffles and had to build a new battery box to house another battery, one don't work for me but other than that, no issues and when it's time, I think I can sell it for a reasonable amount. I got it pretty cheap, bought a leftover one year old unit and did some negotiation. I have my sights set on what you have now.

Like I said before, Nice unit and no wind issues, I know you understand that all too well.

When you take possession of her, you'll have to do an update and let us (me) know what you like, dislike and fit and finish. I'll be standing by for that. I still play with big trucks a little, hard to get out of your blood but now it's a voluntary thing, not a have to do thing.

There is always something to modify to better suite our needs.......a truck, camper, jeep we are never done. LOL

I will definitely post up. Matt will be sending me pics of the build so I will post those as well. 90 days is going to be a long wait........

I have not been OTR since 1994. Used to haul box and flatbed. Flatbed was better not the tight timelines.

Scott

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maxcustody....

I agree the low profile was a definite plus and one of my reasons for buying. I live in West Texas and the wind is constant.....I too drove over the road and can relate. You can't beat the price point on the Palomino, and I am glad you have had good luck with it. ................

I'm envious in the least. The Palomino was my test to see if I was going to keep running a TC or become a motel tourist. I had a contract run from MBPXL to New York City hauling boxed meat for Gingold Foodum ocasionally NM too. That wind never stopped it seemed like.

Really no issues at all (Palomino) which is uncommon for an entry level PUP. especially a FR Product. I expected the worse (after owning a Lance HS) and I was quite surprised. Fit and finish is good, everything works (had to modify the ammonia fridge a bit, FR 'forgot the insulation and the baffles and had to build a new battery box to house another battery, one don't work for me but other than that, no issues and when it's time, I think I can sell it for a reasonable amount. I got it pretty cheap, bought a leftover one year old unit and did some negotiation. I have my sights set on what you have now.

Like I said before, Nice unit and no wind issues, I know you understand that all too well.

When you take possession of her, you'll have to do an update and let us (me) know what you like, dislike and fit and finish. I'll be standing by for that. I still play with big trucks a little, hard to get out of your blood but now it's a voluntary thing, not a have to do thing.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

MAXCUSTODY
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
Very sporty!!!

Congrats!

Thanks

MAXCUSTODY
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I've personally looked at FWC's not an Alaskan, just pictures. What really impresses me about the FWC and the Hallmark is the low closed height. Having hauled around a HS Lance for years and dealing with windy conditions, a PUP is like having nothing in the bed of my 1 ton. Even my wife has commented about how the truck acts on the highway with out present PUP loaded. I really dislike the wind buffeting a HS produces. I drove over the road for many years with a Reefer and I'm very familiar with wind, especially out west where the wind is always blowing the wrong way it seemed. Probably should have just jumped into a Hallmark or FWC instead of getting what I did (Palomino), but the OTD price was enticing and it's given me the perspective I was looking for and I've had no issues with it in 2 years (fingers stay crossed). I know pretty much what I require now.

I agree the low profile was a definite plus and one of my reasons for buying. I live in West Texas and the wind is constant.....I too drove over the road and can relate. You can't beat the price point on the Palomino, and I am glad you have had good luck with it.

MAXCUSTODY
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
The one thing I don't care much for inside the Hallmark units are the upper storage cabinets, cannot wrap my head around the design at all. Bet I could option something else instead. Hallmark is pretty flexible on build from what I hear.

They are great with custom features, etc. You can basically delete those if you don't like them. I actually like the ABS cabinets for more storage, figured in a small space they will be utilized. I think they will be convenient over the cooking area for pantry, spices etc.

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Very sporty!!!

Congrats!
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've personally looked at FWC's not an Alaskan, just pictures. What really impresses me about the FWC and the Hallmark is the low closed height. Having hauled around a HS Lance for years and dealing with windy conditions, a PUP is like having nothing in the bed of my 1 ton. Even my wife has commented about how the truck acts on the highway with out present PUP loaded. I really dislike the wind buffeting a HS produces. I drove over the road for many years with a Reefer and I'm very familiar with wind, especially out west where the wind is always blowing the wrong way it seemed. Probably should have just jumped into a Hallmark or FWC instead of getting what I did (Palomino), but the OTD price was enticing and it's given me the perspective I was looking for and I've had no issues with it in 2 years (fingers stay crossed). I know pretty much what I require now.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
The one thing I don't care much for inside the Hallmark units are the upper storage cabinets, cannot wrap my head around the design at all. Bet I could option something else instead. Hallmark is pretty flexible on build from what I hear.
2015 Backpack SS1500

MAXCUSTODY
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
My second choice would be a 4 Wheel Camper Grandby. I like them as well and the Grandby is right in there with a Hallmark price wise. Both. well built units. I like the Alaskan units as well but I don't care for the interior arrangements.

All well built long term use units.

I have looked at FWC for many years. I have several friends who have them. They are a good product, however I think quality and build are very different.

I also looked at Alaskan, they look like a great product as well, just not for me.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
My second choice would be a 4 Wheel Camper Grandby. I like them as well and the Grandby is right in there with a Hallmark price wise. Both. well built units. I like the Alaskan units as well but I don't care for the interior arrangements.

All well built long term use units.
2015 Backpack SS1500

MAXCUSTODY
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
d3500ram wrote:
Words in text state "...wife has to be happy..." yet the image shows an east/ west bed (LOL) ...and as a subsequent reply mentions: " You will have to report back when you get it and have used it a few times."

I am not projecting anything (and I am replying semi-humorously) but I ended up selling my first pop-up because the E/W did not work out all that well. Ended up with current set up now, and should have made better choice to keep that camper 'cause I really liked it. ... oh, and my former GF? I hope she is happy and doing well LOL...:B

Myself (with my current PUP prefer an EW bunk). I could have gotten a NS and my wife probably would have preferred it but in my case the EW works better because I run my medical equipment from a dedicated Inverter plug next to the sink. Besides, I have my wife 'sequestered in the back nit irritating me...lol

Also makes for a shorter, more compact unit.

I'm in the fence with the rear compartments. Not sure I'd order one with. Will be my next unit however, beyond a doubt.

I think E/W will work out great for us. Main reason is shorter and more compact. I like the rear compartments for the extra storage, generator, propane, recovery etc. Plus the storage box addition is also the full rear bumper and larger rear step.

MAXCUSTODY
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
I really like those 'through the back wall' bins, haven't seen that before.

Storage boxes are a great addition.

MAXCUSTODY
Explorer
Explorer
Freedom 49 wrote:
We sold our Everest for top dollar this spring - it was 6 years old, never gave us any trouble that wasn't of our own making, and still looked like new. Hope yours works out great!

Thanks, I think Hallmark is the best Popup available.

MAXCUSTODY
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
Words in text state "...wife has to be happy..." yet the image shows an east/ west bed (LOL) ...and as a subsequent reply mentions: " You will have to report back when you get it and have used it a few times."

I am not projecting anything (and I am replying semi-humorously) but I ended up selling my first pop-up because the E/W did not work out all that well. Ended up with current set up now, and should have made better choice to keep that camper 'cause I really liked it. ... oh, and my former GF? I hope she is happy and doing well LOL...:B

LOL, speaking of AC. We are in West Texas and want to use it all year long. We discussed the East/West and this will work best for us. we do a lot of primitive/boondocking and that is another reason for the Hallmark. Additionally, compared to my roof top tent on my jeep or my Oz tent tent this will be awesome!