cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First "real" trip with the TT, mini-honeymoon

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Well 2 weekends ago was my wedding, and if you see my previous posts, we planned to forgo a traditional honeymoon and purchase a TT instead. A few weeks prior we had our first actual trip with our Outback Terrain 260trs, just stayed a few nights with some family as a shake-down trip, to make sure everything worked. Wedding last weekend, so this past weekend we decided to take small trip, not a honeymoon really, but just a little get away.

We went to Owego NY to a park owned by the town, called The Hickories Park. They just opened 5 days prior for the season, and had just completed a sewer system of the whole park (previously was not full hook up), including all new pavement for the roads within the park. Only $25 a night, and it's a beautiful little park. We arrived Thursday and left Monday. We took a short ride up to Cayuga Lake to visit some wineries, and visit Taughannock Falls (taller than Niagara Falls!) . If you're a wine fan, the Finger lakes area has countless wineries, and is probably the biggest wine producing area in the Eastern US, definitely worth a visit, there's plenty of local campgrounds too.

As the campground isn't far from home, on Sunday we invited my parents, my brother and fiance, and my in-laws, and had a mother's day lunch, beautiful weather for it.

No complaints about the TV or TT... Everything worked as expected. So far we absolutely love the TT. The outside kitchen is worth it's weight in gold, and the king sized bed is a huge plus when my fat dog is sleeping with us.

Not sure if anyone is interested in my adventure, but I thought I'd post some pictures of the trip. Hope you enjoy.

2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.
24 REPLIES 24

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
Awesome post!!! Love the pics.

Question. Do you have the eBay link to get those strips? Also, do you know if the can be hard wired to a 120 to be controlled by a light switch?

I actually bought mine from a local retailer, for $34 a set.. They don't even have a brand name on them. They are very common on ebay though. My kit looks exactly like this one....
LED Lights

No reason why you couldn't wire them to a switch, however the remote control is just as handy as a switch. For my outside kitchen control, I used velcro to attach my controller to the ceiling, and use it just like permanent switch.
1982 DW, "Rachel"

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome post!!! Love the pics.

Question. Do you have the eBay link to get those strips? Also, do you know if the can be hard wired to a 120 to be controlled by a light switch?
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the kind words, we're really happy with the TT, so much better than spending a few grand on a one week honeymoon somewhere.

We'll be camping this weekend, cooking up a couple hundred clams too. You're all invited!
1982 DW, "Rachel"

linchat
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! The TT is a good place to start making some babys... ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you guys are still having fun with it, we got our TT with US + 1, now it is US + 4. And still have a great time. Best purchase I made yet. Funny thing is, my wife hates camping, but loves the RV (Travel Trailer). Worked out great. She likes it more then me. Kids go nuts for it.

Enjoy and congrats.

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
pbohart wrote:
Hey - couple of questions on your night lighting.

1. The red LED strip across your awning. Is that factory? Or did you add it aftermarket? Also, will it run on 12v or do you have to be hooked up to 110v for it to work?

2. Is the light in your outside kitchen red? Or is that just glow from the LED strip?

Thanks!

It's aftermarket, I have one strip below the awning and one for my outside kitchen that is controlled separately. I have it on 110v but it's easy to wire it for 12v. It has a 110v adapter, you can just not use that and wire it directly to 12v. Here's a video I made on YouTube about it. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn59fRokXr4&sns=em
1982 DW, "Rachel"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I know two things about you, Speed -- you have good judgment (some brilliant decisions) and you are lucky (that she said yes)! Well done!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

pbohart
Explorer
Explorer
Hey - couple of questions on your night lighting.

1. The red LED strip across your awning. Is that factory? Or did you add it aftermarket? Also, will it run on 12v or do you have to be hooked up to 110v for it to work?

2. Is the light in your outside kitchen red? Or is that just glow from the LED strip?

Thanks!
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Diesel
2012 Jayco Eagle Super-Light 314BDS

DesertFront
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!! You make a great looking couple!
Tow vehicle; 2013 Nissan Frontier CrewCab Pro-4X
Mods; 2" coil over lift/AAL's rear
LT285/75 R16 Kelly TSR, Flowmaster
RV; 2014 Coachman Viking 14R. TT
Mods; leaf springs moved on top of axle, Kenda Loadstar ST225/75D15

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. And I love hearing camping story's of any kind.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Enjoyed your story and photos. Thank you for sharing. Congratulations on your marriage and best of luck in the future. You are a really cute couple.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

colochoclab
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you!!

Last year was our 20th anniversary and instead of a cruise or something like that, me and the DW went camping instead! Just the two of us, it was great!

Congratulations!
2008 Nissan Titan LE Crew 4x4
'06 Jayco JayFlight 29FBS
'11 Bayliner 180ob
'99 Seadoo GTS
Member titantalk, seadooforum, benzworld.org

My Chocolate Labs "Snickers", "Reese" and "Hershey"(Passed)

"I asked God for a true friend: He sent me a Labrador Retriever."

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
A man is incomplete until he is married , then he is finished

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Chiis Plz wrote:
Congratulations !!

Great idea for your honeymoon ! But...I think you should change your signature now to "wife".

;o)

Fixed!

tragusa3 wrote:
Thanks for sharing. That trailer is on our short list for an upgrade this winter.

Can't reccomend the trailer enough. It's a unique floorplan, and was the only TT that was less than 27 feet, and had a separate room. Others had a separate queen bedroom that you could barely stand in because it was basically all bed and no room. This gives you a perfect place to change, have guest stay, use as a kids room or nursery even.

Davo7 wrote:
Congrats on the wedding, and TT!! I was born and raised in the Ithaca area, so this thread brings back great memories!! That is the most beautiful part of the country in the spring, summer, and fall, but the winters convinced me to move south...We camped all over the Finger Lakes region as a kid, and miss the area. I still get up there every couple of years to visit family and friends. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and again, Congratulations!!

We live maybe an hour and 20 min south of that area, just into PA. We grew up visiting the finger lakes (always had a boat growing up). Really a unique area, and worth a trip for anyone. I'm not even a big wine drinker and I love visiting the wineries.
1982 DW, "Rachel"

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I've been on two honeymoons and didn't even consider taking the parents and in-laws!