cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Tow with 2500 Ram

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a short vacation with my 2016 2500 MegaCab Cummins I purchased last year. Visited Table Rock State park area in upstate SC. Great towing experience!
Stats, 28' TT, 6500#+/- dry, and maybe 7K wet (we traveled lite), hitch weight around 700# and did use WDH hitch. Listed payload is 1900#, so well within range for DW and myself.
Experience, Averaged around 11.5mpg towing (speed limit or slightly under if 70mph), so did not have to fill up on 300 mile trip with the camper attached. Always used auto exhaust brake. Very stable, only felt sway a couple of times from wind gusts. No problem in mountains with going uphill or down. Also used the two/haul mode when coming down twisting mountain roads, six speed did a great job maintaining speed. Never saw the transmission temp go over 169. Did bounce a little on SC roads...
Previous TV was F150EB with 6.5 bed. Also towed well but mileage was only around 7 or 8, and not quite as stable, but not a 3/4 ton, so shouldn't really compare.
Overall, very happy with new truck. If we upgrade, it will be to a small fifth wheel, but purchased the truck to go west and maybe Alaska in the next few years.
34 REPLIES 34

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingbob wrote:
Same truck , when coming down a hill I turn off the tow haul as I do not like it shifting for me , tends to really get the revs above what I like . I will shift manually , maybe it is just me .

OEM's spend many millions of dollars calibrating the computer to properly select gears. I trust they know how to put the trans in the correct gears.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same truck , when coming down a hill I turn off the tow haul as I do not like it shifting for me , tends to really get the revs above what I like . I will shift manually , maybe it is just me .

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You had a very positive experience with the 3/4 ton!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and welcome to the world of diesel smiles.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good report.

Next time leave TH on all the time along with full EB. Use cruise control to maintain your speeds by setting it and using the up and down to maintain the speed you actually want. While descending lock in the gear you would have came up in this will keep rpm's up and let the EB work well.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD