cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flexible roll-out 136w Solar Cell Deal

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on Amazon.. Killer deal on a flexible, frameless solar panel. Literally peel and stick. Controller not included, you need a good MPPT controller to drop the voltage and up the amperage. At 24 volts they would only output ~ 5amps, but an MPPT will convert that to ~10amps@12v (in ideal conditions).

The catch - look at the dimensions. But I'm considering getting them because I can easily stick them to the roof of my car trailer in my sig.

Amazon Solar Clearance
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
21 REPLIES 21

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
I was interested at first but, not enough real estate om my roof and not for portable use so...I'm out.

Thanks to the OP though. I can see the panels useful for travel or cargo trailers.
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

Bedlam
These peel and stick panels have my attention. Any suggestions on a MPPT controller? Would it be better to connect two of these in series to minimize power loss and let the controller convert a potential 48VDC to 12VDC?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
sleepy wrote:
A very interesting thread...

My Lance 1161 Truck camper is 19'11" on top... plenty of room for the 18' long PVSolar Panel

You have an unobstructed run of 18' up top? Nice.

Yes, between the fridge vent and the air conditioner... and remove the luggage carrier... I'm too old to store stuff up there anyway.

I really prefer the 39.5" X 65" 250W panel... and to use the luggage rack.

I have a similar foot print on the system that I have now... see installation here.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:

My Lance 1161 Truck camper is 19'11" on top... plenty of room for the 18' long PVSolar Panel

You have an unobstructed run of 18' up top? Nice.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer

I really like one I found on one of the links provided a lot better.

See it here It has 250 watts and 24VDC for $199.

It is 39.5" X 65"

The 24 VDC and a MPPT controller will always charge my batteries at 14.8 VDC... the full charge for 12 Volt AGM batteries.
I have had 255 Watts of PVSolar panels for about 6 years on the camper... they have done everything we need since we have all LED lights, and highly efficient replacements for anything that requires electricity.

What I'd really like is 7 of the $199 PVPanels... that would give me 1750 Watts @ 24 VDC for the house.... just to put a dent in the grid power.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
How are you delaing with the length of 18 to 21 feet?
THX for link to MPPT.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
sky_free wrote:
It's funny, but I heard about this company going bankrupt in 2012.

I fount this about Unisolar

From the link above:

"But unlike Solyndra, Solar Millennium and Solon, all of whom went out of business last year, Unisolar will continue production."
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
sky_free wrote:
It's funny, but I heard about this company going bankrupt in 2012.

I fount this about Unisolar
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
pjay9 wrote:
Since i am new to this solar stuff and am doing a rebuild soon and adding bats and solar...WHAT is a MPPT?

MPPT = Maximum power point tracking

MPPT Explained
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Since i am new to this solar stuff and am doing a rebuild soon and adding bats and solar...WHAT is a MPPT? Do you need one regards lees of panel purcahsed?

BTW, these panels are 18 to 21 feet long, hows that going to fit on a tc roof? IDEAS!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
It's funny, but I heard about this company going bankrupt in 2012 and not making any more panels, and the panels are still being sold widely today.

Forget about portable use unless you stick something to the adhesive that is durable enough to not break down or come apart. The adhesive on the back is like tar and would be impossible to remove. If you get it stuck to the panel top (or anything else) by accident, it's nearly impossible to get it unstuck. Don't ask me how I know this ๐Ÿ™‚

I had 3 of the 68W ones on my TT and they worked great. They are more like 50W in actual use, but with 3 of them I had plenty of power. They seem a little less sensitive to shading or less than direct sun than the normal style of solar panels like the one on my TC now.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
For a trailer with a FG or AL roof, I can see this working great. But for those of us with a rubber roof, not so much. Not to mention, my overall camper lenght is only 16.2' or something.

Might be a good starter for home solar too.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is that these are not meant to be rolled and unrolled repeatedly.
They were designed to be permanently applied to metal roofs, and yes some people have put them on RVs. They come rolledfor shipping. They have peel off paper on the back covering a tar like sticky glue. I'm guessing that won't stay on and you'll have the roll glued to itself. Also, I wonder if the cells themselves wouldhold up to repeated rollings. And thesethings are long...something like 18 feet.

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 17 feet long, it might be a little "unwieldy" to have as a portable. I have used a rectangular 185w panel for years and have no regrets

Good luck

Bill