cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford dually rear center cap removal

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Took our new steed to tire gurus to have them check things out as to why we had a slow leak in RR outside tire. Purchasing dealer is 1/2 hr away, tire gurus--several minutes. The center cap posed one heck of a problem for them as they couldn't get it off---but did eventually but in process scratched up the rim near the cut out/slots you are supposed to use to pry it off. Not sure what they did use, but know that tool kit in truck from Ford didn't have anything that would work. So my question is, what tool will work best?

The leak BTW was a very badly corroded TPMS. Was built in Oct '17, went to MA originally, then here in NY. Had 300 mile on it.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
20 REPLIES 20

ChapparalKen
Explorer
Explorer
Ratchet straps will work. Corrosion on the valve stems with 17 and up Ford duallies is a problem. I have had 4 replaced and another is starting to leak again.
2017 Coachmen Chapparal 392 MBL
2017 F350 DRW CC 6.7

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Can't remember which truck site I saw it on but a ratchet strap with small hooks is about the best solution I've seen. hook on each side around a 2x4 across the tire.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
In jack kit for my F350 dually, the lug wrench has a hook opposite the socket fits the center cap slot. I use it to pull the cap.
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZCL, if the center caps remove like my Ram dually, you mentioned a slot. Ours also has a slot between the wheel and cap, with the slot being on the cap. Under our passenger seat is the tool kit and jack for changing a tire. There is a straight steel square bar that is about a foot long with a hook on one, just an "L" bent to a 90 degree angle. You really can't grab the square bar , or I can't, to pull the cap off because more often than not it just jumps out of the slot or if it pulls the cap off, you can easily end up on your butt. What I have been doing is putting a vise grip on the outer end of the bar and hit the vise grips with a dead blow hammer. Has been working every time since I started to do it that way. My vocabulary has sure been better!

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m sure thereโ€™s some special removal tool, but I keep a Wonder Bar in my truck just for removing the center cap on the rear wheels. Use the hooked end in the slots and it pops right off. Wrap some tape around it to prevent scratches.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like it was driven in a lot of winter salt, and not washed off.