cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh water tank fill issue

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new Vibe travel trailer and took it out Labor day weekend for the first time. One issue that I discovered is with the fresh water tank fill. Every other rv that I have had, you would just stick the water hose in the opening, and when water came spewing out, you knew the tank was full. This camper has a connection that you screw the hose into just like the city water connection has. But the problem is, there is a check valve. Most state parks that we stay in don't have water hook-up, so if we needed to add water to the tank, we just poured it in through a funnel. The check valve in this rig prevents that because there is not enough pressure through a funnel to push the check valve open. I am curious to know if anyone else has this set up, and how you get water into the tank without a water spigot near by.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran
21 REPLIES 21

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Our MH has only one fresh water fill, that a hose attaches to. there is a valve which selects whether it is connected to the water lines, or to the fresh tank fill. There is no other way to fill fresh water by gravity. Water will come out an overflow when it is full, but better is to watch the gauge inside until it indicates full. The overflow line is not real big, and I don't like to fill it that full as it puts pressure in the tank. Usualli I just listen and watch to see when it just starts coming out the overflow, and shut water off then.

Actually, the only time I fill it that full is when washing it out, or when going to a site where there is no water. Even then, we travel with a partial tank, and fill when we get there or close. Water is heavy to haul around.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roger that guys - I read all of that as well - There must be a way to fill the fresh water tank with a bucket of water somehow...

I was hoping you found a hidden door somewhere with a manual fill cap... There is no reason to have a one way valve for a manual fill cap.

I was looking at some 2014 Forest River trailers photos on google and did see one with a fill cap on the side of the trailer so I know Forest River still uses the manual fill cap on some of their new trailers. Guess the VIBE serious must have a new plan of attack...

Give Forest River a call with your VIN NUMBER I reckon...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Cup fan wrote:
ROYB, the photo that you show is the same set-up that I've had on my previous rv's. However, on this trailer, there is a city water connection at the rear of the camper with a check valve that the hose screws into. On the side of the camper, near the entry door, is the fresh tank fill, and it is the same set up as the city water connection. You have to screw the hose into the connection, and there is a check valve behind this connection as well.

Since most water tanks won't take much pressure, where is the overflow?

Also, in the diagram above, I would prefer my check valve from the fresh water tank on the discharge side of the fresh water pump, not the suction side.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
ROYB, the photo that you show is the same set-up that I've had on my previous rv's. However, on this trailer, there is a city water connection at the rear of the camper with a check valve that the hose screws into. On the side of the camper, near the entry door, is the fresh tank fill, and it is the same set up as the city water connection. You have to screw the hose into the connection, and there is a check valve behind this connection as well.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

Helimech
Explorer
Explorer
Roy

Don't think that is what he is describing. Personally, I would change over to the old style.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Roy,

He said, with respect to the fresh water tank fill, "This camper has a connection that you screw the hose into just like the city water connection has. But the problem is, there is a check valve ." which suggests that in addition to his city water connection he has a fresh water fill connection that is also screw on, and also has a check valve. IOW, the way I read his post he has what amounts to two city water connections - one conventional one and one that is used to fill the FW holding tank. If that is the case the latter one would be a design SNAFU in my opinion.

OP is asked to clarify.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you are describing sounds like the standard city water connection. The one way valve is there to prevent the water pump when being used to squirt water out of the city water fill port.

This is a typical water flow diagram for RV trailers.

Look for a different location for a round screw-on fill cap.
Mine looks like this

It may behind a locked door like this photo
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS