cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh Water Tank

Rosscoe40
Explorer
Explorer
I want to sanitize my fresh water tank. I'm going to a campground with a city connection. If I add bleach and water to the tank can I let it sit and still use the city water? Am I right in thinking the tank water only comes out when the pump is turned on? I want to use my sinks and shower and drain the tank when I get home.
11 REPLIES 11

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
I put a tablespoon or twoin the tank.that works for us . now its all happy-camping

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ButchandBri wrote:
How do you get bleach in the fresh water holding tank?

when I didn't have a fresh water fill on my chieftain I put it into a filter housing without a filter.
bumpy

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Following the formula of 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of tank capacity (mine is 30 gal so = 1/2 cup bleach) I put the bleach in a gallon jug, fill mostly with water,shake up to mix and pour in the fresh water outside inlet.
Some folks get double duty and pour their mixture in the water hose before they connect it to city water and sanitize it at the same time they fill the tank.
Good Luck, Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

ButchandBri
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get bleach in the fresh water holding tank?

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
popeyemth wrote:
It won't do much good to sanitize the tank if you don't ALSO sanitize the water LINES.
Good Luck, Mike

when you get home, run water from the tank thru the system and let it sit overnight.
bumpy

Sorry I wasn't clear what I meant.
I was thinking if the TANK really needed sanitizing,that likely the LINES did too.
But my thinking is slanted toward using the water system as intended by the manufacturer - with both a tank and city water to be used.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

uscgcolletti
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use the tank period.
I only goto places with full hook up and once there I flush the lines.
Never had any issues.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can JUST sanitize the tank.......use the system via city water hookup.

I only sanitize the system once.......when I first get a rig.
After that.......the tank and system has water from a city water source.
If I am not going to use for a while (month or more) I drain system, refill fresh water tank just in case.
It's not as if I am using untreated water......

I don't sanitize my home system either :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
You want to sanitize lines so after putting bleach in tank use water pump to send some water with bleach through all lines including hot water lines. (Assuming here that you have a bypass on hot water tank.) Wait a few minutes before rinsing out lines. Now switch hot water bypass and fill hot water tank with fresh water. NOW YOU CAN TURN ON THE HOT WATER TANK.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
It won't do much good to sanitize the tank if you don't ALSO sanitize the water LINES.
Good Luck, Mike

when you get home, run water from the tank thru the system and let it sit overnight.
bumpy

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Good Luck, Mike

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Correct.......

Both feed the same plumbing system but pump has to be ON to pump water from fresh water tank

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31