cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

front marker lights don't work!!?? update!! got 'em!

WJeffB
Explorer
Explorer
Need some help with marker lights- back lights come on when supposed to- but front marker lights, top and side, don't work. They used to work fine. Does anyone have any suggestions for tracking down the lighting wiring on a 2005 Dutchmen TT? I have no idea where to start! Seems like a bad connection, but where the junction would be?????
Thanks a million in advance for any help. :?

Jeff
9 REPLIES 9

WJeffB
Explorer
Explorer
OK!! found the problem- the green wire that goes to the front marker lights was broken at the point it came through the wall where the plug went into the trailer. I replaced the flat 7 pin plug and cable, thinking that maybe the brass pins were corroded too much to make connection, and when I disconnected the wiring for the plug cable I found it broken where it came through. Only about an inch available for reconnection, and I finally was able to solder it. One thing I found out from my repairing experience, is that the folks who do the construction of these RV's do not waste ANY extra wire! the wiring was just long enough to reach its connection point and not a fraction of an inch more! That made it tough! Anyway- thanks for all the input
Jeff

WJeffB
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Boy!! That's what I was afraid of- connections buried in the wall! Well, I'll scout around some more.
Thanks all for suggestions.
Jeff

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The connection could be anywhere. Mine were burried in the wall with wirenuts and I wouldn't have found them if I didn't need to rip the walls out. I'd call the manufacturer an see if they can tell to where to look.

I have a few photos of how mine is wired if you want to see, but I doubt it's relevant between different manufacturers.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might be worth a call to Dutchman to ask if forum or dealer can't answer your question. You might be able to follow your wire harness back.

On my Wildwood they ran the harness down the frame rail. Under the front of the trailer there are junction boxes.

WJeffB
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry- didn't make myself clear. I checked the lights at the trailer plug- put 12v using battery charger on the connection for markers- that's how I know my back marker lights all work. I'm unable to find the point where the front lights and back lights come together- and since all my front markers (top and side) won't work, and they have to be wired in parallel, then all 5 lamps would have to be have a bad connection, and I kinda doubt that. But really appreciate the suggestions so far. I'm just wondering if Dutchmen tied the wires together under the panels?
Jeff

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the owners manual for the tow vehicle. Many have a seperate fuse / relay for operating tail / turn lights and for operating running lights. Very likely you have a blown fuse, in the tow vehicle.

I've had that running light issue, twice in the past. Once, towing with a Nissan Titan, and once towing with F250. Both times, it was a fuse / relay in the fuse box under the hood of the truck.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Moved from Forum Technical Support

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
At the end of the chord on the frame in a junction box

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
start right at the light, clean the ground good.