cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funnu Acting AC

frankie32
Explorer
Explorer
I just did some mods to my ac unit swapping out ac vents in my ceiling withones that close. I have a total of 4 so no/ many areas of output. I have a Dometic 13.5 AC on my roof. Earlier I closed 2 of the 4 units and noticed after a while the AC turned off and the temp rised. Temp was set at 72 and was up to 78. I turned the unit down but nothing happened. I turned the unit off at the thermostat for a few minutes and turned it back on. This time the ac kicked on no issues. A few minutes later a loud pop and a few chunks of ice came from the 2 ducts I was using, not from the unit itself. A few minutes later it shut off again at 74 degrees (still set for 72) and would not turn on again. This time I had to run with the wife out but never checked it again. We came back to the camper this evening and it was set back to 72. I dont't know if the unit pulled itself back down or it just came down. The unit has turned on and pulled the temp back down since we have been back but am not certain if this is something I should be worried about or if I accidently froze something up. I did notice I have a every few second drip coming off the back even with the unit off.

Thoughts/ideas? Anyone else ever experience this?
7 REPLIES 7

frankie32
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know. Planning on leaving them open from now on. Greatly appreciate the feedback and info.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
On ANY A/C system, RV or otherwise, ALL registers should remain open and unrestricted. A/C and heating systems must have adequate air flow thru the system to operate properly. Most RV systems are marginal on having enough register open area to begin with so closing or blocking any is asking for trouble.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, when you block air flow the evaporator will freeze up. Doesn't matter what the thermostat setting is. Once the evaporator freezes the unit will shut down due to the freeze sensor. There's a reason TT manufacturers don't put closable vents in the air conditioner system. Most of them are border line ready to freeze up even with all vents open.

I see folks do the same with their heater ducts too. Then the furnace overheats and goes into shut down.

It's not like your home system. Those usually have an abundance of duct cross sectional area and some vents can be closed and still leave enough air flow. RV's usually have the bare minimum of duct cross sectional area required for the unit. Some don't even have that.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

frankie32
Explorer
Explorer
And this is exactly why I am here. So is there a reason I could not get the unit to adjust via the thermostat?

And in all honesty the original plan was to put one in the bathroom for temporary shock prevention dorectly after a hot shower but the price was so good I figured four only would be good enough to swap them all. I'm getting the "of all times you listen to me" from the wife.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Closing vents off can /will cause icing on the evap. as there is less air passing thru the coils.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
It's not good to block off vents, just makes the unit work harder than it was intended. HVAC guy told me that.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
You can't close off the air flow like that. You need all vents open and the fan on high speed. This will keep the evaporator coil from freezing the condensation, which is what happened to your unit. Low air flow causes the the refrigerant in the system to run too cold causing the freeze up. You need the air flow to keep the refrigerant at a warmer temperature, that way it doesn't get to cold freeze the condensation.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76