cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator use during travel

Fstmvrerik
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on doing quite a bit of winter camping, including driving during midwest weather and temperatures. With my last fifth wheel I had an onboard generator to run 120v electric heaters to keep everything above freezing. I currently have a 39' Outback TT, that has a winter package with sealed underbelly. I have a gasoline 30 amp stand alone generator, and the camper has its shore power at the very rear of the rig.

I have a class 3 hitch on the rear of the camper and was wondering if anybody has put a cargo carrier on the rear of the camper and used the generator on the carrier while in motion.

I know from past experience the rear of the camper can be a fairly "active" area for cargo on some highways. I worry about a 120lb generator bouncing around on the back of my rig.

Does anybody have any experience doing this?
24 REPLIES 24

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Does anybody have any experience doing this?”

No and your electric heaters in the RV living area won’t warm your tanks much if any.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, just run the furnace.
I know someone who tried to run a portable generator in motion on the rear of a bus. It wouldn't. It ran fine stationary, not moving. It could have been the oil sloshing away from the low oil sensor. It could have been the vacuum at the back of the bus deprived it of air. Who knows.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
As long as you have a battery charge line running from the truck to he camper via the 7-way plug then the battery will stay charged. Run the furnace and tune on the heated tanks if you have them.

I would add a DC-DC battery charger in the trailer.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most generator have a low oil sensor. Bouncing that oil around will likely trip that sensor and you will have no power !

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you have a battery charge line running from the truck to he camper via the 7-way plug then the battery will stay charged. Run the furnace and tune on the heated tanks if you have them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good grief..

You do operate your fridge on gas? Correct?

It works, right?

Furnace is POWER VENTED, in other words the exhaust is forced by the same fan motor as the interior fan..

Furnace flame should also still stay on just like the fridge gas burner while traveling. If it does go out, furnace board will attempt to relight and continue just like your fridge..

Generator carbs tend to dislike the movement that it may encounter when driving and most likely will stall out..

Try running the built in furnace before traveling down the bunny hole with heating with electric heaters and a generator..

OR, better yet, just leave your water system winterized until you reach your destination.. Then rewinterized before leaving for home..Everything else in the trailer will most likely survive the cold temps on both ways..

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My furnace runs fine while in transit. Nothing wrong with going on a test drive to verify operation.

Fstmvrerik
Explorer
Explorer
I have never tried to run the propane furnace while driving, I always assumed it would not vent correctly and shut itself down and cycle on and off.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just run the propane furnace. Save the generator for a power outage or leave it home.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I do not advise a carrier for the genny on the rear as it destabilizes and might overload the load. A good idea to run it when you think cold would damage your unit.
Hitch or in truck bed carry with power cord to supply the unit. You wouldnt need a lotof genny power, so a 20 amp ext. cord run under, tied up , would work fine.