cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting sick of campgrounds

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I love camping but it seems camping is so popular now that my area just doesn't have enough campgrounds to make weekend camping enjoyable anymore.

As it is right now, you can't go to the park without a reservation a month or two in advance. Gone are the days of getting off work, hooking up and going to the park to find a spot. There's no spots to be had.

And then when I can get a site, it's less than enjoyable any more.

State parks have really declined letting trash take over and break every rule on the books. It's to the point it's nothing but a party spot at Indiana State Parks. It's either the drunks or it's the neighbors with 15' dog leashes, with their animals in my site.

I was wanting to go camping but then I thought, WHY. Every time I go to an Indiana State park that I love, the DNR doesn't enforce any of the rules and it's a free for all for all the drunks and partiers. I want to enjoy being out in nature which is very hard to do any more with the screaming, yelling, and barking. I thought that was for the bars and nightclubs?

Then the private campgrounds in my area are not what they were either. They use to be rustic, affordable, woodsy sites. Now the older couples that use to own them, have sold out to foreigners or out of staters, who have turned them into RV parking lots charging twice what they use to and nickel and diming you for everything including A/C and dump station use.

It's a shame how the campgrounds have gotten trashy or more urban with little to do with nature any more.

I love my camper but it sees little use anymore and I just don't have the time to drive to the better rustic parks in the state that are less crowded, more civil, and quieter.

I hope this passes as I love my Jay Flight especially since the new models don't offer the features or build mine has from 2012. BUT I may be inclined to sell it next year because I'm losing the love for camping. I like seclusion and nature, I can socialize and party at the local pub. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Am I alone if my observation?
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.
81 REPLIES 81

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Have you tried Potato Creek State Park? We've been there once, my parents used to camp there years ago. We had water and electric and for overnight it was fine. The sites were fairly large, so it was quiet.

We are currently at Summit Lake State Park over near New Castle. We came in on Sunday afternoon. Checkout was 5:30, so it was still quite full. By the time checkout rolled around there were only 2 of us in this loop and the other one was a camphost. There are not a dozen rigs in A and B loop total now since Monday. If you can camp during the week you'd have it made. We full time, so that's not hard for us.

The sites here have been upgraded to 50 amp and water on every site. Bath houses are decent so it's a win/win.

My biggest gripe with Indiana parks is the price. They have really shot up in recent years. As former Hoosiers we now have to pay out of state prices for admission to the park and the camping fees, but we are here to visit our doctors of 30 years, so it works for us for four days. Prices are higher on the weekends.

We also camped this year at Ouabache State Park near Berne. It was refreshing to find this park near Amish country. Out in the country, very wooded, but sites for big rigs. We got a FHU site, not sure the price, but reasonable. Not at all crowded, people friendly. Even had a rally going on of "older" campers and they were quiet, just enjoying their time together visiting.

Tornadoes went through the area and we had a camp ranger rapp on our door to tell us to head to the concrete block bath house. Never had that happen before. Later walking the dog, the ranger was sitting at the start of the camp road because there was another alert and she was ready to warn us all again of another threat. Really appreciated that because it was hard to get any type of cell service or anything out in the boonies.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We camp mainly in GA, AL, and FL. I can't remember any problems with drunks, bus some are drinking, but not getting rowdy.

Our problem is finding campsites. You have to be flexible, and plan 6 months ahead for holiday weekends. Most if the time we can finds sites, but during the summer we like to go to the lake and take the boat. Waterfront sites go fast.

The local Corp of Engineer sites on the local lakes have walk up sites, but many people will take the camper there on Wed, or Thursday to get the site, but not actually use it until Friday night. It's an hour drive to do that for me, so I have not done it, but I can see that in our future. Only problem is that adds $100 in fuel and fees that you normally wouldn't have.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would appear you are a victim of your own success. You started at a time and place that no longer exists.

You learned to camp sucessfully at a time of few amenities and people. That is what you accept as normal.

As mentioned about the only way to achieve that now, is to boondock.

The DW and I come from a canoe and tent background, now we have a TT. Fortunately we are retired so we can camp during the week when it is less crowded.

Neighbors do not bother us all that much. After all they are public campgrounds. We are working our way to each of Indiana's state parks.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Mike Up.
I can relate to your problems about reservations. Minnesota state parks just made 100% of their campgrounds reservable. That means NO first come first served. And even for retirees like us, we can get a site from Monday through Thursday, but the weekends are booked up a year in advance.

As for the campgrounds in Indiana, it may well be a problem in "da Region". I used to live in NW Indiana, and worked at both Indiana Dunes and at Hoosier National Forest. The Dunes State Park campground is almost always full. Have you tried the Dunes National Lakeshore Campground? The further south you go in Indiana, I think you may have less problems. Also fall and weekdays are generally less crowded, but it sounds like your work dictates your schedule. We retirees don't have that problem.

It is true that Hoosier National Forest has several campgrounds, but at least when I worked there (20 some years ago) they had no electricity. Also there probably are some boondocking opportunities along old roads in the national forest, but it isn't like out west. The Hoosier NF only owns about 28% of the land within its boundary. The rest is private land. So you really have to know where you are to not be trespassing.

Good luck to you. We'll be travelling through your state in just a few weeks with our camper. I hear the highways in Indiana are no great shakes (actually they GIVE you great shaking).

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Mike. PA state parks are alcohol free too bad I'm 90 miles from NYC and Philadelphia in the epicenter of outdoor recreation. Weekends in the summer are tough. Full hook ups..one year in advance. I go for fishing only. I do not venture to day use 6th borough of NYC areas. I also have a fifth wheel in bayville nj. Seasonal glamper on ocean setting for extended family usage. With the kids it's bayville. Solo it's fishing trips at state parks. I'm soon to get a truck camper and do the solo fun trips. Hunting, fishing, and quad. Part time dad. Half weekends free at a price of 1600/m child support.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
sbowman871 wrote:
We have only camped at Whitewater SP in Indiana outside of our Ohio travels. It's a beautiful park, clean, and we'll run. We have been there twice and will go back. Indiana charges a bit more than Ohio parks. They also chage $10 additional per weekend for out of state visitors. I didn't mind the extra cost for a well maintained park. Ohio state parks are not even close to what is in Indiana. About half of our nights camping is at home in front of our barn. We enjoy the peace and quiet, privacy, and making our own camping rules.

This year several of the sites at Whitewater were paved and length extended. Some sites were extended and combined with the site directly behind it making some 80' pull through sites. Pretty hard to find sites that size. In the same area Mounds, Brookville lake offers some full hook up. Also nearby is Quakertown, Brookville Lake is a smaller campground but very nice. Both are just a few miles South of Whitewater on 101.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
My problem is I work a lot and don't know I have time to camp until the last moment which is too late for reservations.

Then when I do get them, I get stress from screaming drunk neighbours. Kids and normal dogs don't bother me, but when the dogs are pitbulls with leashes long enough to allow them on my site, I get mad real fast.

DNR doesn't seem to want to enforce rules and I really don't want the continued bickering with neighbours over their bad habits.

State forests seem like a great idea but too far for a weekend, and some of the more civilized parks are even too far for weekends.

I just like to camp when I can but making it happen where it's enjoyable like 10 years ago is nearly impossible.

Thanks everyone for the good ideas.

BTW, I have sent surveys rating some of the campgrounds and didn't hold back, but I don't think my money is as good as of the people who are there to have their parties.

Indiana Dunes State Park is alcohol free but you need reservations a year in advanced.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
We'll be visiting Valparaiso next month for a wedding. We wanted to bring our trailer but there isn't any decent camping anywhere in the area. Will be moteling it instead. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Exactly my area, dunes state park is always reserved up, as most state parks, and local private campground are less than desirable.

WildPlumYonder
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I chose our state parks (crowded as they are) over some of the other parks is that the state parks tend to have actual security. I used to boondock or go to primitive camps and, particularly during the big meth lab years (15 years ago or so), that could be fairly scary. Lately with the increase of homeless and "homefree" travelers, I prefer the security of a campground with several hosts.

Plus, camping in a campground with electrical hookups means no "generator symphony" from 7am to 10pm. (Although 2 weeks ago my camping neighbor with a big diesel pusher found the campground's 30amp service inadequate to run his A/C and his big outdoor entertainment system and fired up his diesel generator - the one with the exhaust pointed right at our camp. A few calm but pointed words ended that. I'd have had zero problem going for a campground host if that hadn't worked)

I don't mind the kids in camp, although I always look at the maps and try to pick a campsite that isn't near the playgrounds or bike paths. The problem is always the adults who should know better.

Yes, making reservations well in advance is a pain, but then our schedule is looser than many and we can usually find something mid-week. My favorite campground at the coast is currently booking June dates for 2017 - they will be booking July 2017 dates in Oct 2016, which is when I will reserve our annual 10 days at the beach.
TT: 2017 Keystone Hideout 21FQWB (prior 2011 FR Wolf Pup, 1990 Starcraft tent trailer, tent camping)
TV: 2013 Ford F150 5.0 V8, 373
(map is where I've camped, not where I've lived or visited)

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The day I have to rely on reservations at a trailer park is the day I'm done!!

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to let the state parks department management know about your specific complaints - perhaps they are not aware that rules are not being enforced at the parks near you.

And if your state politicians are asking for your vote in November, it can't hurt to let them know also if you get the chance.

Hoosier National Forest seems to have a lot of campgrounds - not sure how far away from you though: http://forestcamping.com/dow/eastern/hoos.htm

Ed

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
Our state parks get a little noisy on holiday weekends,I just try to avoid it. We also live where everyone one wants to retire. We get the seasonal population swell and anything 4-5 hours from us is booked solid mid-October to March.
Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
When we started about ten years ago, finding a place to stay was no problem. Now, unless we plan our trip, and make reservations a year in advance, we have to drive all weekend or stay in a Walmart lot. Plenty of open sites all week, but all sites are booked for two days only every weekend. No wonder parks are losing money. two paid days per week with nothing for five days doesn't add up to anything except money for the reservation service.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
We have only camped at Whitewater SP in Indiana outside of our Ohio travels. It's a beautiful park, clean, and we'll run. We have been there twice and will go back. Indiana charges a bit more than Ohio parks. They also chage $10 additional per weekend for out of state visitors. I didn't mind the extra cost for a well maintained park. Ohio state parks are not even close to what is in Indiana. About half of our nights camping is at home in front of our barn. We enjoy the peace and quiet, privacy, and making our own camping rules.
2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that you can name an Indiana State park that I haven't either camped at or worked on some project as a unpaid volunteer Naturalist. I can say most all have some very good campgrounds which make them very popular. Some parks the bathroom facilities are showing the wear from all the traffic. Some renovations have begun in many parks.

With that said I too have seen problems more with people, not the parks. It absolutely galls me to see so many people who are too lazy to take their trash to a dumpster so they leave it on site or throw it in a smoldering fire pit.

As for the rowdy campers, most camp hosts will not risk their life by stepping in. You can ask them to contact a Ranger or call a Ranger yourself.

Mike you are in NW Indiana and the parks closest to you are also close to Chicago and get a huge influx of the surrounding population. I can tell you that there are many, many very nice IN DNR properties that you can have a wonderful relaxing time most weekends.