cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with an Explorer, Highlander or 4Runner-experiences?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I am seriously considering a Lance 1475 TT, dry wt 2495, gross 3700. I want to tow with a SUV, and have a fondness for Toyotas. (Ford Explorer is also in the running.) A Highlander, 4Runner, or Explorer equipped with tow package has a tow rating of 5000 lb & hitch rating of 500.

I probably would never load a trailer to the max as I travel pretty light. My biggest concern with any of these vehicles is the weight distribution. The Highlander is on a uni-body type frame, the 4Runner is on a truck-type frame, and I'm not sure about the Explorer. There is a lot of skepticism out there regarding the use of a weight distribution system with the uni-body frame.

I did see several small trailers being towed with Highlanders on the Natchez Trace Parkway back in the spring. However, that's not exactly a demanding drive. My travels are more likely to be in East Tennessee, which has some steep climbs and long grades.

I will probably go with an Andersen hitch for WD & sway control.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience towing with any of these vehicles and what input you might have.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
35 REPLIES 35

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
is there a reason for not considering the grossly superior grand Cherokee. (especially an older one) My WJ is by far best in class towing. The WK got even better.

You couldn't give me a Chrysler product.

I used to feel the same way and only bought Toyotas...I've had a lot of them and still have one today. But let me tell you...none of my Toyotas have been absolutely perfect. Loved them all, but I have had some issues, most recently with my '08 4Runner V8. I went through an oxygen sensor, wheel speed sensor, BOTH exhaust manifolds (left and right), a driveshaft, etc. My mom had a 2014 RAV4 and before she it 30,000 miles on it, they had to rip the whole dash out to replace a motor in the HVAC system. I traded my 4Runner for my current RAM and she traded her RAV4 for a Jeep Cherokee. Love them both!!

Just don't rule them out and stay stuck on Toyota...try them all out...it's a big investment you're making and you owe it to yourself to shop around.
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 wrote:
i know you mentioned anti-Chrysler, but as far as a unibody SUV, short wheel base, etc., I have a Jeep Liberty that we've been towing a TT with. Similar specs, 2500lbs dry (listed anyway, the sticker is actually 2900) and 3700lbs gross. I use the e2 WDH, Jeep is 2010, with factory tow package (hitch, wiring, transmission cooler), 3.7L engine, v6. The manual states explicitly a tow rating of 5,000 when properly equipped with WDH.

Has been a pretty good setup, tows nicely, minimal sway. as other's have mentioned, payload limit is the first number we'd bump up against, but with all of our stuff in the TT, we have very little in the TV besides ourselves and our dogs (2 adults and 2 60lb huskies).

not trying to steer you towards chrysler, but just my experiences towing a lighter TT with a shorter SUV. Just got back from 3,300 mile trip, have been around 9,000 miles with this setup the last 2 years.

Thanks for the info. I agree that the short wheelbase is not an issue with a correct trailer size & hitch setup. Good to know other people are in the same camp!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
i know you mentioned anti-Chrysler, but as far as a unibody SUV, short wheel base, etc., I have a Jeep Liberty that we've been towing a TT with. Similar specs, 2500lbs dry (listed anyway, the sticker is actually 2900) and 3700lbs gross. I use the e2 WDH, Jeep is 2010, with factory tow package (hitch, wiring, transmission cooler), 3.7L engine, v6. The manual states explicitly a tow rating of 5,000 when properly equipped with WDH.

Has been a pretty good setup, tows nicely, minimal sway. as other's have mentioned, payload limit is the first number we'd bump up against, but with all of our stuff in the TT, we have very little in the TV besides ourselves and our dogs (2 adults and 2 60lb huskies).

not trying to steer you towards chrysler, but just my experiences towing a lighter TT with a shorter SUV. Just got back from 3,300 mile trip, have been around 9,000 miles with this setup the last 2 years.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
rexlion wrote:
I put 140,000 miles of towing (for work and play) on my '08 Highlander. I sold it with 185K total on the odometer. By that time the transmission temp light would come on sometimes when climbing long grades at higher elevation (Rockies). I was happy with it up until then. Good power in most situations, although climbing while in a strong headwind would cause me to slow down to 38-40 mph and use a lower gear. I did have a 16'L x 7'W x 99"H KZ travel trailer for about 3 years, 2700 lbs total and about 375 lbs (loaded) on the hitch. And I used the Andersen hitch, mainly to reduce the humping over the expansion joints and to smooth out the ride; it was pretty nice to use compared to my old Equal-i-zer.

Now I have a '08 Lexus GX470 with 4.7L V8. The thing I like best about it is the air suspension, which stiffens the rear and keeps it level even with trailer attached.

The newer Explorers have the 3.5 L Ecoboost, which is a great towing engine.

Only the Sport or Platinum models have the 3.5L Ecoboost. The Limiteds and XLTs just have the regular 3.5, which has significantly less HP and torque (tow rating is the same as long as you have the tow package). You can also get the Limited or XLT with the Ecoboost 4 cylinder but that's not a good towing engine. That's the #1 reason I got a Sport vs the cheaper models.

Thanks for this info. I did not realize that the Limited was not available with the 3.5 L Ecoboost. But you are absolutely correct. That engine is only on the Platinum and the Sport. This puts the price point up with a F-150, which might just happen!

To be honest, I thought about getting an F-150 instead of the Explorer, because it would be nice to have a 2nd vehicle that could at least pull our toy hauler out of the driveway etc (we learned towing our toy hauler on trips with an F150 wasn't a fun experience). We had a 2013 and I really enjoyed driving it, but then in the end, the extra enclosed cargo space was something I really needed so we went with the Explorer instead, plus the Explorer does get a bit better gas mileage than our F150 did, I get almost 21mpg on my commute, F150 was more in the 17 range. You could also look into Expeditions, as I believe all of them have the EcoBoost, and a higher towing capacity. They get $$$$ very quickly though.

I'm also glad I decided on the Explorer, as we go downtown to Denver for sporting events etc., and while there's places you can park an F150, there's more options with the Explorer (even it gets tight in some spots down there though!).

Also if it helps, I purchased a 2016 model in July, so they were ready to wheel and deal on it. I paid invoice price, which was about 5k less than sticker. There's still 2016s to be had even now, probably at even better discounts as they have 2017s arriving every day. I originally was looking at low mileage used Sports, but they were harder to find with the towing package (it's now standard, it used to be an option), and I was still looking at the high 30s for a 20-30k used model... interest rates are better on new, so it actually worked out the same to just get the new one, and you get the warranty with new.

I definitely prefer a SUV over a truck. I like the enclosed/secure cargo space of a SUV.

I'm going to take a hard look at Highlander vs 4Runner. Then will start looking at pricing, pick which one I want, and start looking for the vehicle.

Thanks for the info.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
rexlion wrote:
I put 140,000 miles of towing (for work and play) on my '08 Highlander. I sold it with 185K total on the odometer. By that time the transmission temp light would come on sometimes when climbing long grades at higher elevation (Rockies). I was happy with it up until then. Good power in most situations, although climbing while in a strong headwind would cause me to slow down to 38-40 mph and use a lower gear. I did have a 16'L x 7'W x 99"H KZ travel trailer for about 3 years, 2700 lbs total and about 375 lbs (loaded) on the hitch. And I used the Andersen hitch, mainly to reduce the humping over the expansion joints and to smooth out the ride; it was pretty nice to use compared to my old Equal-i-zer.

Now I have a '08 Lexus GX470 with 4.7L V8. The thing I like best about it is the air suspension, which stiffens the rear and keeps it level even with trailer attached.

Only the Sport or Platinum models have the 3.5L Ecoboost. The Limiteds and XLTs just have the regular 3.5, which has significantly less HP and torque (tow rating is the same as long as you have the tow package). You can also get the Limited or XLT with the Ecoboost 4 cylinder but that's not a good towing engine. That's the #1 reason I got a Sport vs the cheaper models.

Thanks for this info. I did not realize that the Limited was not available with the 3.5 L Ecoboost. But you are absolutely correct. That engine is only on the Platinum and the Sport. This puts the price point up with a F-150, which might just happen!

To be honest, I thought about getting an F-150 instead of the Explorer, because it would be nice to have a 2nd vehicle that could at least pull our toy hauler out of the driveway etc (we learned towing our toy hauler on trips with an F150 wasn't a fun experience). We had a 2013 and I really enjoyed driving it, but then in the end, the extra enclosed cargo space was something I really needed so we went with the Explorer instead, plus the Explorer does get a bit better gas mileage than our F150 did, I get almost 21mpg on my commute, F150 was more in the 17 range. You could also look into Expeditions, as I believe all of them have the EcoBoost, and a higher towing capacity. They get $$$$ very quickly though.

I'm also glad I decided on the Explorer, as we go downtown to Denver for sporting events etc., and while there's places you can park an F150, there's more options with the Explorer (even it gets tight in some spots down there though!).

Also if it helps, I purchased a 2016 model in July, so they were ready to wheel and deal on it. I paid invoice price, which was about 5k less than sticker. There's still 2016s to be had even now, probably at even better discounts as they have 2017s arriving every day. I originally was looking at low mileage used Sports, but they were harder to find with the towing package (it's now standard, it used to be an option), and I was still looking at the high 30s for a 20-30k used model... interest rates are better on new, so it actually worked out the same to just get the new one, and you get the warranty with new.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
rexlion wrote:

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:

Agree about the GX. Earlier this year I went through the process of trying to replace a 2005 4Runner V8 Sport due to an accident and found that it was not easy finding one in great condition, decent mileage, 2005-2009 year range with a V8, but I did find a well maintained GX470 with the same 4.7 V8 and I'm pleasantly surprised how well it tows my 3500 pound boat. Not great MPG, but it's a recreational vehicle and not a commuter. That Toyota 4.7 and matched transmission are rock solid based upon opinions from mechanics and transmission techs I've talked to over the years.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Also I considered Grand Cherokees too, as I really like how they look. But their cargo capacity inside isn't great since they don't have a third row. I have 3 dogs so having the Explorer with the third row seat folded down gives them lots of room in the back.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
rexlion wrote:

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
johntinacamping wrote:
We have a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with the 5.7L HEMI and absolutely love it. 7,200lb tow capacity. Plenty of power (both HP and torque) and very comfortable. Towing a 2015 Heartland Mallard M28. Real world experience for us has been great. There are others towing equal trailers with the Grand Cherokee and the EcoDiesel engine. They claim to get better mileage when not towing. We have seen up to 23 mpg on the highway with the HEMI. The only thing we plan to do is to purchase a ProPride hitch next spring to eliminate sway and further enhance our towing comfort. We currently have an EAZlift 1000 weight distribution hitch and dual friction sway control bars. It's great for weight distribution and adequate for sway control but the ProPride will eliminate sway. Naysayers would deny the capability of the Grand Cherokee but our experience says otherwise.

I'm not saying the GC is not capable as a tow vehicle. I've never had a good experience with a Chrysler product in my life, or know anyone who has had. Whatever I get I plan to keep for at least 10 years, and don't want to have constant repairs.

johntinacamping
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with the 5.7L HEMI and absolutely love it. 7,200lb tow capacity. Plenty of power (both HP and torque) and very comfortable. Towing a 2015 Heartland Mallard M28. Real world experience for us has been great. There are others towing equal trailers with the Grand Cherokee and the EcoDiesel engine. They claim to get better mileage when not towing. We have seen up to 23 mpg on the highway with the HEMI. The only thing we plan to do is to purchase a ProPride hitch next spring to eliminate sway and further enhance our towing comfort. We currently have an EAZlift 1000 weight distribution hitch and dual friction sway control bars. It's great for weight distribution and adequate for sway control but the ProPride will eliminate sway. Naysayers would deny the capability of the Grand Cherokee but our experience says otherwise.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
is there a reason for not considering the grossly superior grand Cherokee. (especially an older one) My WJ is by far best in class towing. The WK got even better.

You couldn't give me a Chrysler product.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:
. What I learned when I wanted to upgrade to a TT is that only about 15% of Highlanders have the towing package, and it is only with the towing package that they are rated for 5000 lb towing. That's why I got rid of it and got the 4Runner.

-Speak

don't know who you "learned" that from but I had no end to choices of highlanders with tow package. perhaps cause I was looking at the upscale product lines?
bumpy

Toyota dealer.

-Speak

you don't suppose that that dealer said that because he didn't carry/have any and didn't want to get one from another dealer? nah, dealer's never lie.
bumpy

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:

Grossly superior? How so? I just had a new GC as a rental for the last week (as my other FCA pos was getting its 2nd transmission). I didn't see anything that made it superior over anything else in class.

If the op was thinking older (pre '10) then a 4Runner with the 4.7l V8 and 7200lbs tow capacity, high resale value and reliability would be a superior choice.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley