cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFI not working-blew 2 30 amp service fuses

pattycamper
Explorer
Explorer
On my last trip, someone flooded the sink and water flowed over into GFI (GFI is on front of sink cabinet). Tried to turn on AC later and it wouldn't turn on (just hummed). I didn't immediately put 2 and 2 together, but after trouble shooting I found both 30 amp fuses were blown for 30 amp service. Replaced them and tried to reset GFI, but it wouldnt and no GFI outlets worked. This outlet is the only one with reset on it. I got home, replaced GFI, still nothing. None of the GFI's work. Now when I try to plug anything in, it flips the generator breaker, but fuses dont blow.
I've reached the end of my trouble shooting skills. Everything was working before the trip, so I am pretty certain the water caused the issue. Any ideas for thinks to look at??
Thanks,
Patty in AZ
11 REPLIES 11

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
looking back at your original post and the additional information that your posted about the generator in the system, since you blew TWO 30 amp fuses, it is possible that you caused a significant issue with your generator depending on its size and on board protection. You might look closer at its output / setup without anything attached other than a "test load" (lamp / light).

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
water got in your converter and fried it now its a direct short to ground unplug or unwire it things will work again

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you replaced the outlet, and now the generator breaker trips, I bet those two are connected. The outlet is probably miswired.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

westend
Explorer
Explorer
....when I try to plug anything in, it flips the generator breaker
This would typically indicate that there is something 120V that is miswired.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
pattycamper wrote:
I have a meter, but all I have tested with it is batteries ๐Ÿ˜ž I will google how to test breaker. I flipped all breakers back and forth, so I don't think they are issue as far as not being reset. Fuses aren't blowing anymore, just first time issue started. When I was trouble shooting last time, it was after 3 day trip and camper was in street with no AC in 110 degrees. I had to stop because I was about to pass out. I'm not certain if any AC is working at this point. If I remember correct, by the time the generator breaker started flipping after replacing GFI, NONE of the plugs, GFI or otherwise worked. Initially my other non-gfi outlets were working. I could have been a bit delusional at the end of this before I put it in storage ๐Ÿ™‚ I will test breakers as soon as I can get back to trailer. I recently replaced the 30amp breaker (it dry rotted apart) that the battery lines go through at front of trailer where battery connects. Any chance this could be part of issue. It was working, but maybe it blew?
Patty

the "30 amp battery breaker" is unlikely to be your issue since it only deals with the 12v system although it depends on whether you have any 12v controllers / relays needing power to operate them.
As you surmise, check if any of the AC circuits are working (either with a meter or light or operating equipment). The key check is to find out if you are indeed getting 110v into the breaker.... having said that, you added some more information with the "generator breaker part" so you might have to look at that portion of your setup.

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Personally I hate it when folks come on to these forums and suggest rookies grab a multimeter and start poking around. Truth is, do it wrong and you can die from electrocution.

If someone is going to suggest to another to get a multimeter, the first thing they should suggest is the new person get instructions on the safe use of it from a qualified individual.

Electricity is infinitely patient.....just waiting for you to screw up so it can bite you.

that's funny. Me too, to have to even suggest that someone working with electricity, if they desire, would use a tool to help themselves find out what's going on.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If a lot of water entered a GFCI protected outlet there could still be moisture. Does not take much.

Usually the A/C is on a separate non-GFCI circuit so it would seem odd that the tripped GFCI would affect the air.

Assuming you have a 30 amp RV there should be only one 120v 30 amp breaker. If two 30 amp fuses opened that sounds like the main or reverse polarity fuses for the converter 12 volt system. Again seems odd the GFCI would cause an issue here. Was any battery work done? Do you have about 13.6 volts on the battery when plugged in?

The A/C thermostat does need solid 12v power to operate the A/C.

pattycamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have a meter, but all I have tested with it is batteries ๐Ÿ˜ž I will google how to test breaker. I flipped all breakers back and forth, so I don't think they are issue as far as not being reset. Fuses aren't blowing anymore, just first time issue started. When I was trouble shooting last time, it was after 3 day trip and camper was in street with no AC in 110 degrees. I had to stop because I was about to pass out. I'm not certain if any AC is working at this point. If I remember correct, by the time the generator breaker started flipping after replacing GFI, NONE of the plugs, GFI or otherwise worked. Initially my other non-gfi outlets were working. I could have been a bit delusional at the end of this before I put it in storage ๐Ÿ™‚ I will test breakers as soon as I can get back to trailer. I recently replaced the 30amp breaker (it dry rotted apart) that the battery lines go through at front of trailer where battery connects. Any chance this could be part of issue. It was working, but maybe it blew?
Patty

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Fuses are normally for the 12 volt DC system
120 Volt AC is normally controlled by standard circuit breakers.
Try resetting circuit breakers. Turn them off applying light pressure toward off, then turn on main breaker if equipped, followed by branch breakers one at a time.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I hate it when folks come on to these forums and suggest rookies grab a multimeter and start poking around. Truth is, do it wrong and you can die from electrocution.

If someone is going to suggest to another to get a multimeter, the first thing they should suggest is the new person get instructions on the safe use of it from a qualified individual.

Electricity is infinitely patient.....just waiting for you to screw up so it can bite you.

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
well, you should add a meter to your "trouble shooting skills set"... ๐Ÿ™‚
with your "new meter", check that you have 110v AC coming into the breaker (testing your new skill). Then check that you have 110v AC leaving the breaker. Similarly check the same at the GFI and go from there. Maybe you didn't reset the breaker correctly... some have to be fully toggled to off and then back to on.
Does any AC services work in the trailer?