cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Golf Carts

VAPOTEET5
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everybody, not sure about all you but I'm super pumped on this upcoming season!! Got lots of trips planned including Disney World from VA..I got a quick question for all you. We want to purchase a golf cart but I'm sketched out about loading it w/ ramps.. Am I the only one? Does anybody have any good recomendations on ramps? Brand/price? We have a 8' bed so plenty of room.. Thanks everybody.
36 REPLIES 36

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Not where I attach my straps to. I use the eyebolts in the bed of the truck. Guess it works fine for you but I wouldn't want my straps lower than my ramps. Just doesn't look as safe.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
I don't understand all the ramp "kicking out" warnings. My ramp has two short chains that I attach to the two eyebolts on my trailer. No way is it possible for the ramp to come off the bed of the utility trailer. The same thing could be done with a truck. The chains came on my ramp when new.

Maybe I was doing it wrong. Check out this pic and give me some feedback.

Rolling up the ramp in my utility trailer is nothing, no problem at all!

The back of a pickup bed. Much more of an extreme angle.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand all the ramp "kicking out" warnings. My ramp has two short chains that I attach to the two eyebolts on my trailer. No way is it possible for the ramp to come off the bed of the utility trailer. The same thing could be done with a truck. The chains came on my ramp when new.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
Get yourself a Toyhauler.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Passin' Through wrote:
For those who already have shorter ramps, wouldn't it be beneficial to drive a spike into the ground at the bottom of each ramp, after they were secured to the truck? The spikes would act as stops for the ramps.

Just curious.

That would help. I'm usually in a rush to load an unload though.

Some of the ATV trails by me have what almost looks like a loading dock specifically for this purpose.

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
For those who already have shorter ramps, wouldn't it be beneficial to drive a spike into the ground at the bottom of each ramp, after they were secured to the truck? The spikes would act as stops for the ramps.

Just curious.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

VAPOTEET5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for your input... Alot of good suggestions here thanks again..

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the 9' Black Widow ramp for years now. Loaded the Harley and the RZR with it. The curve at the top makes all the difference.

-Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

MeandMyLabs
Explorer
Explorer
I do not own a golf cart but do own an ATV and as others have said, the real problem can be the ramps "kicking" out when loading. I never load without backing into a ditch or up to a raised area. Even a foot of elevation will make a huge difference. Unloading is not nearly as bad because you are not apply power to the wheels while on the ramp.

There are many good, strong ramps available but make sure you have them securely strapped to the truck when loading. Once you have your system that is safe, loading will not be so bad.
2017 Salem Hemisphere
2009 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 L

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
You might want to consider what we did when we had two Harley's to load. Mount a small winch in the front of the truck bed.

We no longer have the bikes but have a golf cart now. It is very easy to load with the winch and no one has to "ride" the cart up the ramps. Set the ramps, attach the winch cables, and push the button.

With the winch pulling the cart up, rather than the cart wheels pushing the ramp back, the ramps do not "kick out."

Ya, this sounds like a really good idea. We used to load a ATV in the pickup for use around the farm. It worked but, was always kinda scary. The winch would have been heavenly.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Many ATV stores have ramps as well if you have one close by
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
If someone would have been standing on the end of my ramps when they kicked out they would have paid dearly. If you insist on driving up ramps pay the money for LONG folding ramps designed specifically for GOLF CARTS these are not 500 lb 4 wheelers.

Also the winch in the bed is a great idea and one I will repeat on my next rig.

Thanks

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, I think I got my 96" ramps from Tractor Supply. About $100. Much cheaper than some of the on-line sites and they are 1500 lb rated.

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Look for ramps online (discountramps.com and ebay). Get some of the best ramps you can find... At least 8 feet. Longer ramps make a big difference. It's not AS scary after you load it a few times.

Once the cart is on the ramps, DON'T STOP! You need to be very smooth to prevent the ramps from kicking out. Having someone stand on the ends of the ramps helps a ton. The straps don't help much as you would think. When using straps, the ramps just slide inward opposed to directly out. Be extra careful if the tires are wet.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
At least 90"+ ramps and ideally get on an incline when loading.