cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodbye CH751 key!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Last night I replaced the CH751 lock on the water fill hatch with a lock that matches my entry door and other compartment locks, which were replaced in previous upgrades. One less key to mess with!
WOOHOO!!!
There's also a thumb turn style lock available.

I wanted the locking version because I camp remotely most of the time and I don't want someone dumping unmentionables in my water tank.

Video describing the upgrade
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
17 REPLIES 17

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My RV doesn't even have a locking cover to the water system. I cannot imagine why I would want one, especially if it had a dinky plastic door.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Heck the lock cylinders turn in the doors. I managed to get the CH751 key in the lock backwards, it slipped right in, and turned the lock, it only turned a little bit harder than normal, only to find that I had rotated the entire assembly in the door 90 degrees to unlock the door.

So you could have any of my hatch doors open with a flat bladed screwdriver and a minimum of effort.

I guess if they want my blocking, grill utensils, two putty knives, and the drill adapter for my jacks, they can have them.

Watching lock picking lawyer on youtube, there is no such thing as a secure lock that a picker with a few seconds and half a clue can't open.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Donโ€™t count on much security with those little barrel locks, 751 or any other key number. Someone broke into my 5er basement using a screwdriver or other pry device. Probably faster than fumbling with a key even if they had one. No damage at all to doors. Just a very small black mark and bent tabs on the locks. I rubbed off the black marks, bent the tabs back in shape, and continued using them.