Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodyear Endurance

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Well,
I borrowed a tilt/flatbed trailer to haul a car from California to Nashville Tennessee and bring one back. Prior to leaving I did quite a bit of "road ready-ing" on the trailer. I thought about replacing all tires as they were Chinese Load Range E tires that were about 3-4 years old. Against my better judgement I aired them all up to 75psig, put two spares in the pickup and took off with the Yukon on the rig. Changed the first on 120 miles down the road. The tire place said the other three were in good shape and did not recommend changing them. By Kingman AZ the second one shredded. Swap a spare on to it. An hour later the third one shredded. In Flagstaff I put 4 new 225/75R-15 Goodyear Endurance tires on @ 80psig in each. Smooth sailing the all the way to Nashville and all the way home. I suppose if I took off with two spare tires expecting the worst.............I should have known I needed to replace the tires! I will be replacing the Goodyear Marathons on my CreekSide with these Endurance Tires
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
28 REPLIES 28

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I've been towing trailers of one kind or another for 42 years and have never ever experienced a blow out. I've had two flats. One on a small utility trailer that got a nail in it. The other was last summer on my 5ver driving east on I40 just east of the Arizona/New Mexico state line. This was caused by a bad valve stem. Fortunately my TPMS warned me of the leak. At one time or another I've put on the cheapest ST tires I could find because the pocket book just wouldn't stand anything else, I've used U.S. made Marathons and now Maxxis. The key, regardless of tire, is proper tire pressure and loading. You mess up either one of those and you are doomed no matter what brand you buy.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I am not certain that an ST tire with a higher speed rating has to pass any of the govt. mandated performance specs.
What "govt. mandated performance specs?" Citation needed.
ktmrfs wrote:
Now for the mfg that don't stamp the tire but have a link on the website talking about increasing speed rating by derating the load, that I would agree is highly suspect that it would meet the test stds. If it did why wouldn't they stamp the tire
Again, if you're referring to "test stds.", you need to provide a citation. But, they're simply adhering to industry standards.- from the TRA.

one difference is that the goodyear endurance does NOT need any inflation adjustment or carrying capacity reduction above 65mph. the load rating is the same as other sized ST tires and applies all the way up to 87 mph.

Does this make the endurance any better than other ST tires? who knows. but at least the endurance has sidewall markings indicating a higher speed rating than other ST tires. Only time will tell about the quality of the tire.

But I'll bet in the next year or so we will find more ST tires going through the additional testing to be able to stamp a higher than 65mph speed rating on the tire.

NHTSA has a pdf of the testing required for tires. some 80 pages of test requirements including the testing for speed rating etc. etc.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Gee sound guy, I’ve read two of your posts on this topic and each has been rather harsh. Remember it’s not what you say but how you say it. People post on here to get other people’s experiences and opinions on topics not to be ridiculed. In fact I just read your posts on tire inflation and again you can’t post a comment without being sarcastic to the other posters. Thanks for your experience and opinion but yours I don’t need.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
Makes me laugh when I hear people say "it's the best towing tire I have yet". I have been towing trailers for most of my adult life and I can never tell the difference between one tire brand or another on a trailer on how it feels going down the road.

Laugh all you want, who cares? :R I myself switched to a set of Endurance after one of my originally supplied off shore tires self destructed by splitting internally and I immediately noticed much improved towing with the new tires. This past summer I camped with a friend who co-incidentally had also installed a set of Endurance tires on his own trailer just prior to this trip. When I happened to mention I'd just installed a new set of tires he replied "Me too!" and went on to describe just how much more stable his trailer towed with the Endurance tires, all without me saying anything at all about it. Doubting Thomases will only be convinced once they try a set themselves, until then their opinion is meaningless. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Makes me laugh when I hear people say "it's the best towing tire I have yet". I have been towing trailers for most of my adult life and I can never tell the difference between one tire brand or another on a trailer on how it feels going down the road.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
I am not certain that an ST tire with a higher speed rating has to pass any of the govt. mandated performance specs.
What "govt. mandated performance specs?" Citation needed.
ktmrfs wrote:
Now for the mfg that don't stamp the tire but have a link on the website talking about increasing speed rating by derating the load, that I would agree is highly suspect that it would meet the test stds. If it did why wouldn't they stamp the tire
Again, if you're referring to "test stds.", you need to provide a citation. But, they're simply adhering to industry standards.- from the TRA.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
I was in my local Good Year dealer last week having a set of LT tires installed on my newest horse trailer. Talking to the owner of the store, and the subject of the Endurance tire came up. At the end of the short conversation, his comment was, "it's still just an ST tire".

From that comment, I take it that he too is withholding judgement until more time has passed and the tires have a history.
Maybe they will work out well. I'm like a few others here though, I have found what works for me, so I see no need to do beta testing for the tire companies.

yes it sorta still is an ST tire. However it is N (87mph) speed rated without derating the load capacity. Many other ST tire mfg do indicate going above 65mph is possible if you derate the load.

So.... in theory goodyear has at least designed the tire to pass the much more stringent speed rating tests than the pretty easy to pass ST 65mph test.

Now I have no intention of towing my trailer at anything close to 87 mph. But it is good to know the tires in theory are designed to handle the load at that high a speed.

We've put about 1500 miles on our goodyear endurance. The previous Maxxis went about 20K before needing to be replaced, no failures.

Also, the endurance took way smaller weights to balance than the Maxxis did. And the Maxxis took less weight than the Towmax that they replaced.

Time will tell, but it looks to me like Goodyear is trying to address some or all of the issues with ST tires.
I am not certain that an ST tire with a higher speed rating has to pass any of the govt. mandated performance specs. Just having the ST designation may exempt it from those requirements.

It may be that the only testing that will be done is in house testing by goodyear.

Don't laugh. OSHA has been doing this sort of thing for years.

We have an outside contractor bring in propane floor cleaning equipment at my work. Often they belch a lot of smoke/noise and awful smells.
I filed an OSHA complaint once. OSHA announced in advance to the company when they would be doing their inspection (as a courtesy I was told)
On the agreed upon date a brand new buffer showed up with all the latest noise reduction and smog equipment. It was so quiet and smell free that you could stand by it and hardly tell it was running. After they passed the inspection, that buffer disappeared and old smokey came back. After some more conversations with OSHA, I found that it is a rigged system. The contractor company is required for their machines to pass annual tests.... But they are permitted to self test.

Guess how often they fail.

since the sidewall is stamped with a load index and a speed rating it's highly likely they must test to and pass the industry std test for speed rating and load index.

Now for the mfg that don't stamp the tire but have a link on the website talking about increasing speed rating by derating the load, that I would agree is highly suspect that it would meet the test stds. If it did why wouldn't they stamp the tire?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
I was in my local Good Year dealer last week having a set of LT tires installed on my newest horse trailer. Talking to the owner of the store, and the subject of the Endurance tire came up. At the end of the short conversation, his comment was, "it's still just an ST tire".

From that comment, I take it that he too is withholding judgement until more time has passed and the tires have a history.
Maybe they will work out well. I'm like a few others here though, I have found what works for me, so I see no need to do beta testing for the tire companies.

yes it sorta still is an ST tire. However it is N (87mph) speed rated without derating the load capacity. Many other ST tire mfg do indicate going above 65mph is possible if you derate the load.

So.... in theory goodyear has at least designed the tire to pass the much more stringent speed rating tests than the pretty easy to pass ST 65mph test.

Now I have no intention of towing my trailer at anything close to 87 mph. But it is good to know the tires in theory are designed to handle the load at that high a speed.

We've put about 1500 miles on our goodyear endurance. The previous Maxxis went about 20K before needing to be replaced, no failures.

Also, the endurance took way smaller weights to balance than the Maxxis did. And the Maxxis took less weight than the Towmax that they replaced.

Time will tell, but it looks to me like Goodyear is trying to address some or all of the issues with ST tires.
I am not certain that an ST tire with a higher speed rating has to pass any of the govt. mandated performance specs. Just having the ST designation may exempt it from those requirements.

It may be that the only testing that will be done is in house testing by goodyear.

Don't laugh. OSHA has been doing this sort of thing for years.

We have an outside contractor bring in propane floor cleaning equipment at my work. Often they belch a lot of smoke/noise and awful smells.
I filed an OSHA complaint once. OSHA announced in advance to the company when they would be doing their inspection (as a courtesy I was told)
On the agreed upon date a brand new buffer showed up with all the latest noise reduction and smog equipment. It was so quiet and smell free that you could stand by it and hardly tell it was running. After they passed the inspection, that buffer disappeared and old smokey came back. After some more conversations with OSHA, I found that it is a rigged system. The contractor company is required for their machines to pass annual tests.... But they are permitted to self test.

Guess how often they fail.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Atlee wrote:
The only tire failure I've had was with a Maxxis tire. Had a steel belt separate. Fortunately I noticed the deformed tread while stopped. Otherwise it would have let go while at highway speed.
I had same Maxxis issue just under four years.
No longer on my very short list.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
The only tire failure I've had was with a Maxxis tire. Had a steel belt separate. Fortunately I noticed the deformed tread while stopped. Otherwise it would have let go while at highway speed.

So even Maxxis is not 100% pure.

babock wrote:
I was considering the Endurance but went with the Maxxis. Will see in 5 years how the Endurance tires are doing for the first set of people that tried them.

Even my Chinese tires lasted a year...year is not enough time to know how the Endurance tires will survive.
Exactly my point. The Maxxis enjoyed a honeymoon of a few years... Then failures started popping up.

Now Maxxis has upgraded SOME of their ST tires sizes.... Some people here are giving them another go.. The new Carlise. Well it seems to have been OK so far. It is still in the honeymoon stage though.

I will no longer be a beta tester for these companies.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is almost impossible to find a brand, type or model on tire that at one time or another has not been on the hot seat.

Even automobile tires have a recommended replacement age that the folks ignore.

It is encouraging that the ST tire makers are answering the need for a more robust tire. As mentioned, only time will tell how good they are. It is difficult to gauge performance on a small fraction of a percent of market.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II

So even Maxxis is not 100% pure.

babock wrote:
I was considering the Endurance but went with the Maxxis. Will see in 5 years how the Endurance tires are doing for the first set of people that tried them.

Even my Chinese tires lasted a year...year is not enough time to know how the Endurance tires will survive.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch