cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goose Neck to 5th Wheel

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everybody. I just now bought a tow vehicle for my 36' 5er toy Hauler, 15k loaded and 3k pound hitch weight. I got an Tundra.... Just kidding got a 2011 RAM 3500 DRW. The truck already has a goose neck hitch installed. I know there are plenty of adapters to hitch my 5er to the goose neck and even a new king pin to turn my 5th wheel into a goose. My question is since I don't and probably won't be towing a goose neck can I use one of these adapters as a permanent solution or would I be better off putting a 5th wheel hitch in the truck. What is your opinion. Thanks for the help. Bare with me as this is my first 5er and still learning about the hitches.
8 REPLIES 8

hamilton71801
Explorer
Explorer
There are other companies beside B&W that offer the "companion" style hitch if your's isn't a B&W. I have a welded GN plate on my truck and would have gone with the companion style had I known there were other options other than B&W but did the Anderson GN conversion and have been happy with it, but if your trailer is heavy, I'd stick to the fifth wheel.
2013 Keystone Hornet 29.5 BHS Fifth Wheel
2001.5 Dodge QC Shortbox 4x4 Auto Cummins
Quadzilla XZT+, Stage 3 Jammer Nozzles, BD J Hook
HTS Trans
Full Gauges
Maxbrake Controller
1978 17' Glastron Carlson (115 Mercury, Hotfoot, completely restored)

oweninthekeys
Explorer
Explorer
I pull our fifth wheel using the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Adapter and love it. I highly recommend staying with the gooseneck ball and using this adapter.
USAF Retired 2000
DOD Civilian to Retire 2015
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi
Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Adapter Hitch
2014 Winnebago Lite Five FW30RES

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
How can I tell if my goose neck hitch is a B&W ? If my hitch is not B&W is there still a way to pull the ball off and mount a 5th wheel hitch to the goose neck hitch? Sorry I'm not picking up my new to me truck until tomorrow and I'm a total Noob

So it sounds like I would be better converting my truck to 5th wheel instead of converting my 5er to goose.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Nwatkins176 wrote:
Hello everybody. I just now bought a tow vehicle for my 36' 5er toy Hauler, 15k loaded and 3k pound hitch weight. I got an Tundra.... Just kidding got a 2011 RAM 3500 DRW. The truck already has a goose neck hitch installed. I know there are plenty of adapters to hitch my 5er to the goose neck and even a new king pin to turn my 5th wheel into a goose. My question is since I don't and probably won't be towing a goose neck can I use one of these adapters as a permanent solution or would I be better off putting a 5th wheel hitch in the truck. What is your opinion. Thanks for the help. Bare with me as this is my first 5er and still learning about the hitches.
You need to check with your trailer manufacturer to make sure they won't void the warranty if you install a gooseneck adapter. This kind of hitch puts a LOT more strain on the fiver frame which may not be designed to take it.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I don not considered goose neck better nor easier then a 5th wheel, I think that is completely subjective based on users preference. I find goose necks a PITA compared to hitching up any 5th wheel.

adapated hitch hitches. You have the B&W companion which is a hitch that will fit into the B&W squalre box of their turnover ball. There is the Curt X5 which is a standard rail plate to adapt either a square or circular goose neck mount to a 5th wheel standar rail system that you can drop any industry standard rail based 5th wheel into.

And of course as you have seen you can change the king pin over to a goose neck.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

wpredock
Explorer
Explorer
Nwatkins176 wrote:
i have pulled many horse trailers with gooseneck hitches and had a 5r with a goose neck conversion. goose neck is the only way to go. i don't know why all 5rs aren't made with the goose neck hitches. i had a fold down ball in my last f350 that gave full use of the bed. if i got another 5r it would have a goose neck conversion. some 5rs may not be built heavy enough to handle the front to rear added stress. mine worked fine.

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
On of the advantages of say the B&W is how easy it is to remove the hitch and leave a clean bed for hauling stuff in the truck

Not so easy with a regular hitch

I'm sorry, B&W ?

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
On of the advantages of say the B&W is how easy it is to remove the hitch and leave a clean bed for hauling stuff in the truck

Not so easy with a regular hitch
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.