cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ground material falling into lower storage compartment

ggray1979
Explorer
Explorer
For a few months (and before this season's extreme heat) a ground material, beige colored, has been accumulating on the floor in the exterior front lower storage compartment. I need help determining what it is and its source. I seem to recall that a "dimple" along the front exterior top appeared at about the same time, but that is not a given. We have had several weeks of over 100 deg temps in Waco and the more obvious fiberglass bubbles have emerged very recently. For a few months (and before this season's extreme heat) a ground material, beige colored, has been accumulating on the floor in the exterior front lower storage compartment. I need help determining what it is and its source. I seem to recall that a "dimple" along the front exterior top appeared at about the same time, but that is not a given. We have had several weeks of over 100 deg temps in Waco and the more obvious fiberglass bubbles have emerged very recently. We were at 115 deg in Wichita Falls about 14 days ago. A seam separation appeared in the last few days at the curve of the front cap and trailer side. It might have been present for a heavy rain in Branson about 5 days ago. Would the bubbles appear that quickly if we had a leak at that seam that recently? I don't know much about fiberglass construction, but could the particles be something from the material to which a fiberglass skin was attached? If so, I am not sure a simple re-glue and press is going to work. Obviously, the seam separation has to be fixed. Other than the appearance is it likely that the trailer can continue to be used, or does the ground material indicate an ongoing problem that will cause ultimate destruction of the front cap area? In general, is a tarp cover on an a trailer stored outside and uncovered in Texas going to help much? The trailer is a 2015 Rockwood 2304DS. Thanks!A seam separation appeared in the last few days or less at the curve of the front cap and trailer side. It might have been present for a heavy rain in Branson about 5 days ago. Would the bubbles appear that quickly if we had a leak at that seam that recently? I don't know much about fiberglass construction, but could the particles be something from the material to which a fiberglass skin was attached? If so, I am not sure a simple re-glue and press is going to work. Obviously, the seam separation has to be fixed. Other than the appearance is it likely that the trailer can continue to be used, or does the ground material indicate an ongoing problem that will cause ultimate destruction of the front cap area? In general, is a tarp cover on an a trailer stored outside and uncovered in Texas going to help much? The trailer is a 2015 Rockwood 2304DS. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
My 2018 model MicroLite came with about a gallon of sawdust included at no charge. Pretty much evenly divided among all storage compartments as well as hidden spaces. After a week of work with a vacuum cleaner I THOUGHT I had it cleaned up.

Foolish thought as road vibration kept shaking more and more out of nooks and crannies.

It's been 5 years since I brought it home along with approximately 40,000 or so miles I think it is NOW all gone.

When I red "beige, granular, substance", that's exactly what I found.

Sawdust is pretty easy to "diagnose". Fill a bowl with water, spread some on top of the water, and leave overnight. If sawdust it will first float, and with time the granules will swell up much larger.

Since it's a Rockwood, a Forest River product, my money is on "sawdust". They find it easier to just leave in their finished products rather than increase the amount of waste they have to pay disposal fees on.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
I am confused as well. You lost me with "a ground material"..What exactly do you mean by this? Is it something you might find on the ground? Is it some kind of electrical grounding material? Can't offer up much help, yet.

Ground, as in something ground this material up into dust. "A ground material, beige colored" Sawdust? Insect infestation? Termites? Carpenter ants?
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am confused as well. You lost me with "a ground material"..What exactly do you mean by this? Is it something you might find on the ground? Is it some kind of electrical grounding material? Can't offer up much help, yet.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Sawdust? Rotting particle board?

Explorer II
Explorer II
Yea, that was hard on the eyes. Let's see if this helps

ggray1979 wrote:
~
For a few months (and before this season's extreme heat) a ground material, beige colored, has been accumulating on the floor in the exterior front lower storage compartment. I need help determining what it is and its source.

I seem to recall that a "dimple" along the front exterior top appeared at about the same time, but that is not a given. We have had several weeks of over 100 deg temps in Waco and the more obvious fiberglass bubbles have emerged very recently.

A seam separation appeared in the last few days at the curve of the front cap and trailer side. It might have been present for a heavy rain in Branson about 5 days ago. Would the bubbles appear that quickly if we had a leak at that seam that recently?

I don't know much about fiberglass construction, but could the particles be something from the material to which a fiberglass skin was attached? If so, I am not sure a simple re-glue and press is going to work.

Obviously, the seam separation has to be fixed. Other than the appearance is it likely that the trailer can continue to be used, or does the ground material indicate an ongoing problem that will cause ultimate destruction of the front cap area?

In general, is a tarp cover on an a trailer stored outside and uncovered in Texas going to help much?

The trailer is a 2015 Rockwood 2304DS.

Thanks!
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I just skip things like this without reading.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
The use of paragraphs and indenting would sure make your post easier to read.